• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve cover paint issue

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Just a heads up...
After I replaced the four larger coolant system hose clamps, of which one was leaking (see "Owner Resolved Coolant Leak" and "Coolant Leak at 230 Miles" posts) and was re-installing the bodywork, I was careless and got a drop of purple loctite on the left head cover, used on four of the fairing machine thread screws. Normally it will just wipe off with no paint softening if not left for any length of time. After installing the fastener, by the time I took a rag to wipe it off it had stained the gold paint. I tried a little rubbing alcohol on a Q tip and that melted some paint and left an ugly spot. I am having them powder coated to get around this. After removing both covers, the paint is fairly easy to scrape off with a thumb nail on the LH cover, I tried it in a few spots. The right is fine with alcohol, even de-natured alcohol, and does not come off by scraping. The paint on the L cover even looks a little different with less sheen. I believe the paint mixture on the left cover either had no catalyst, or not enough. With only the head covers painted gold on my Verde 100S which I am not a fan of the gold color, and personally think they stick out like a sore thumb. I thought they looked good with the pre-production gold wheels though. I personally like the matte black wheels Guzzi chose, so I'm having the head covers powder coated with "Shadow Black Texture" powder coat I orderd from Prismatic Powders that matches the black texture of the head cover's black plastic coil/plug cover, and there are quite a bit of other black accents on the V100. I should have them back in a few days this coming week. I am also having the 6 "Special Screws" as Guzzi calls them, that hold the covers on, done with a Black Nitride+ process at a local firearms shop as I thought the bright zinc coating would stick out. I should have them back next week also and will update when all buttoned up.

Image Image 1 Image 3

When I picked up my V100 from the dealer, I noticed some scratches on the valve cover. Done by the dealer I assuem I could see that the paint was very easy to scratch. The dealer ordered me a new valve cover and o-ring which just showed up.

Given your comments, I may just powder coat them.....

When I picked up my V100 from the dealer, I noticed some scratches on the valve cover. Done by the dealer I assuem I could see that the paint was very easy to scratch. The dealer ordered me a new valve cover and o-ring which just showed up.

Given your comments, I may just powder coat them.....
Hopefully just a bad batch, my right cover was fine. When I'm done I will post some pics. I almost went with a smooth satin black like the wheels, but decided the light texture matching the plastic cover would to my eye look better, but I think the smooth satin would be great also. I gave my dealer a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up! Sorry to hear that it damaged the covers but please post pictures when you get them powder coated. I think they will look awesome!
Will do, thanks!

I picked up the head covers from powdercoat Tuesday and the screws came today from the Black Nitride+from H&M in Glendale, AZ today. I installed everything and am very pleased with the results. I personally think the black covers look hands down better than the gold given the amount of black pieces on the bike. I do like the gold covers with the gold wheels, but the black covers with black wheels I think, look like it should have came from Mandello Del Lario, with the black wheels.

IMG 3631 IMG 3635 IMG 3632 IMG 3642 IMG 3639

Last edited:
I picked up the head covers from powdercoat Tuesday and the screws came today from the Black Nitride+from H&M in Glendale, AZ today. I installed everything and am very pleased with the results. I personnally think the black covers look hands down better than the gold given the amount of black pieces on the bike. I do like the gold covers with the gold wheels, but the black covers with black wheels I think, look like it should have came from Mandello Del Lario, with the black wheels.

I like it a lot. :)

Indeed they do look great! If you are willing, could you share the cost....here is why I would like to know...

When I picked up my Navale the LHS valve cover was 'lightly scuffed'...:rolleyes:...right out of the crate.

PXL 20230804 163336001

Of course, the dealer fixed it, remarkably the new cover showed up within 3 weeks (Piaggio seems to be doing things differently and better with parts on the V100, ditto the recall - so I can't fault them on that at all). Anyway, when it came it is a different color..

PXL 20230810 192801618

The replacement is the same as the wheels - champaign, the ones at delivery are more bronze. Anyway, I had it fitted as it was better than the fugly scuffed one..... but now the Navale is officially renamed 'odd nuts'... hell, what's the difference the cylinders are offset! Yes, the lighting does make it look worse...but the missus noticed it on her way through the garage!

PXL 20230825 011021715

Such is the reality of low volume manufacturing. It looks like the bronze is a shift as I'm seeing bikes in showroom pics with darker rims than the launch bikes. Anyway, powder coating a nice matching flat grey could be the solution rather than hunting a match. (Though my customer centric dealer cares about this stuff and is taking the next steps).

Thanks. T2

Indeed they do look great! If you are willing, could you share the cost....here is why I would like to know...

When I picked up my Navale the LHS valve cover was 'lightly scuffed'...:rolleyes:...right out of the crate.

View attachment 31864

Of course, the dealer fixed it, remarkably the new cover showed up within 3 weeks (Piaggio seems to be doing things differently and better with parts on the V100, ditto the recall - so I can't fault them on that at all). Anyway, when it came it is a different color..

View attachment 31865

The replacement is the same as the wheels - champaign, the ones at delivery are more bronze. Anyway, I had it fitted as it was better than the fugly scuffed one..... but now the Navale is officially renamed 'odd nuts'... hell, what's the difference the cylinders are offset! Yes, the lighting does make it look worse...but the missus noticed it on her way through the garage!

View attachment 31866

Such is the reality of low volume manufacturing. It looks like the bronze is a shift as I'm seeing bikes in showroom pics with darker rims than the launch bikes. Anyway, powder coating a nice matching flat grey could be the solution rather than hunting a match. (Though my customer centric dealer cares about this stuff and is taking the next steps).

Thanks. T2
Sorry, I did not see your post until now; I think I have notifications turned off and will check.
My situation was similar with the left replacement head cover not matching in color or texture.
The cost was: $100 for powder coating inclucing media blast and application. I purchased the powder coat (one lb.) $33.00 at the recommendation of the shop owner. The six head cover mounting screws finished with Black Nitride+ were expensive (about $85) and I like the outcome, but you can leave them as they are, or have them powder coated as well although not as durable as the Black Nitride+, same as SIG an Glock use on their pistol slides. The cost to me was not as important as the final result, and knowing it will last the life of the bike and never chip from being removed for valve adjustment, and every time I see the black texture on the head covers made it all worthwhile. I used Prismatic Powders and the website has a lot of colors. I went with the " Shadow Black Texture" as it matches the color and texture on the plastic coil cover, and there are a lot of black texture accents on the bike that compliment each other. Take your time on the color choice, you will not want to do it more than once. Prismatic will send small samples on aluminum for shipping cost only; the actual color and texture in the computer images are not the same as the actual samples, and I recommend the samples because of this.
Let me know if you have any other questions, G

Thanks for the info, not as pricey as I thought, I've never had need to use a powder coating service before and appreciate the pointers given.

I have to say the more I look at the OEM paint quality on the covers (even though I like the color and have a matching set now) the more your comments about durability resonate.

T2.

Thanks for the info, not as pricey as I thought, I've never had need to use a powder coating service before and appreciate the pointers given.

I have to say the more I look at the OEM paint quality on the covers (even though I like the color and have a matching set now) the more your comments about durability resonate.

T2.
You're welcome. Wheels and frames are usually powder coated, tough as nails. There are two gold colors that are pretty close to OEM but with less texture I found to be the closest match, I don't know if the powder coater can ehance the texture or not:
ROMAN GOLD UMB-1638 and AZTEC GOLD umb-4871
Best of luck, G

If you are ordering a rocker cover for the Mandello the color has changed a bit.

My bile was delivered in Australia in October 23. The rocker cover on the floor arrived here a few weeks ago.

20240118 0920071

Sorry, I did not see your post until now; I think I have notifications turned off and will check.
My situation was similar with the left replacement head cover not matching in color or texture.
The cost was: $100 for powder coating inclucing media blast and application. I purchased the powder coat (one lb.) $33.00 at the recommendation of the shop owner. The six head cover mounting screws finished with Black Nitride+ were expensive (about $85) and I like the outcome, but you can leave them as they are, or have them powder coated as well although not as durable as the Black Nitride+, same as SIG an Glock use on their pistol slides. The cost to me was not as important as the final result, and knowing it will last the life of the bike and never chip from being removed for valve adjustment, and every time I see the black texture on the head covers made it all worthwhile. I used Prismatic Powders and the website has a lot of colors. I went with the " Shadow Black Texture" as it matches the color and texture on the plastic coil cover, and there are a lot of black texture accents on the bike that compliment each other. Take your time on the color choice, you will not want to do it more than once. Prismatic will send small samples on aluminum for shipping cost only; the actual color and texture in the computer images are not the same as the actual samples, and I recommend the samples because of this.
Let me know if you have any other questions, G
Interesting that the shop had you buy the powder separately. Typically, the shop will do everything for whatever price they quoted.
I noticed the paint on both of my valve covers have cracks and flakes and was thinking about getting them powder coated, eventually.

Back