• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

VDST Battery voltage

alwyn said:
I've been a qualified veh technician for many many years,and in my experience diagnostic equipment has always been accurate,the vdst should be no different,if you pay good money you expect good products...not saying the vdst isn't good,but if there is a glitch it needs to be put right,or at least clarified....
Fair enough, so feel free to call TechnoResearch direct and talk to one of the creators, Giamberto; 248.658.1800 CST. Post your follow-up with him here.

Hi Todd,ref your last post,I agree,but how do i contact them? i'm in the uk do you have a contact that i can use,i don't have any idea what your post meant to me,ie e-mail or phone..would be nice to get this sorted..

alwyn said:
Hi Todd,ref your last post,I agree,but how do i contact them? i'm in the uk do you have a contact that i can use,i don't have any idea what your post meant to me,ie e-mail or phone..would be nice to get this sorted..
Above is their phone number, just add the country code in front of the 248. above, his e-mail is gscaccia at technoresearch.com -send him your phone number and the best time to call you. Post the outcome.

I agree, diagnostic equipment is normally accurate. It will read what it sees. What it sees is what the ECU tells it.

I have a standard voltmeter on my Spada III. These are renowned for their spurious readings, but after some investigation, I found the meter to be surprisingly accurate, it read exactly the voltage on the end of the wire which connected it to the battery.

I suspect the same applies to what is seen by VDST.

your absolutely right brian,it tells you what it sees,but it is not seeing battery volts as the screen suggests,that the issue.since it is also directly connected to the battery there is no reason for it not to be able to display battery volts.but if it's not then let the user know what is being displayed..
still waiting for a reply to my e-mail that todd suggested..

Had some response to my e-mail to techno research,they asked if other readings were ok-i said yes so far,
what ecu-1aw 15rc.
and was i using a serial to usb adaptor?,to which i said yes(but questioned the relevance since other readings were ok)but that might be our problem.
just waiting for their response now,will keep you informed.
merry christmas...

Thanks for chasing this up with TechnoResearch alwyn.

The setup that I have been using is connected to the laptops com port RS232.

Just had a reply from technoresearch,as follows:
"There is an outside possibility that the adapter could still be the problem
- could you check the brand & model of the one you are using? There are two
that we have specified: Keyspan brand, model USA-19HS, and then switched
(for lower cost) to Cablemax brand.

If you can find out if anyone is using either of these, and confirm whether
the other readings are indeed good, that would be helpful.

To get all the way to the answer however I think we are going to have to do
some investigation and unfortunately are now short staffed until the new
year. "

so if the people with this problem could possibly post their set-up i can forward this on,
i for one am using a decent but non named serial to usb adaptor.

just a quick follow on,if you post me the info about your set up could you also include what operating system i.e windows XP etc,it may help....
as much info/posts as possible would really help,even if your VDST seems ok..
thanks again

Any more feedback fon TechnoResearch on this Alwyn.

I'm running XP on a Dell laptop with the lead plugged into the RS232 connector.

nothing yet Terry,hoping for some more replies from the forum,even if their VDST's are giving correct battery readings,the more info the better...
Also with the holiday period just over i didn't expect anything,but i'll give until Sunday and i'll e-mail them and keep you posted..

Hello Terry

These readings may be of interest to you. Acer laptop with XP and Keyspan USB adaptor:

Battery no-load at terminals after a run - 12.74V

Soon after with VDSTS connected and key on:
Battery readout at terminals - 12.12V
LCD screen readout - 11.8V
VDSTS readout - 11.8V

Thanks Graham,

I wonder if all the Guzzi EFI model's show this difference when using the VDST software?

GrahamNZ said:
Hello Terry

These readings may be of interest to you. Acer laptop with XP and Keyspan USB adaptor:

Battery no-load at terminals after a run - 12.74V

Soon after with VDSTS connected and key on:
Battery readout at terminals - 12.12V
LCD screen readout - 11.8V
VDSTS readout - 11.8V

Interesting, the VDSTS reports what the LCD reports. Both read what the ECU tells them to report as the battery voltage.

Todd measured the voltage on my bike once while he had the VSTD hooked up, because it was reading low. I dont remember the numbers exactly, but the tach, voltmeter, and vstd all read different numbers, varying by as much as .6 volts, battery being the highest! :shock:

even the cheapest harbor freight voltmeter is accurate to within .01 volts. Unless it's measuring voltage off the headlight circuit (even then, a .6v drop would indicate the wires involved are far too small for the loads they are carrying over the distance of 2 feet) then there is no excuse for this kind of variance.

It also means that a battery that should be able to start the bike, may not because the EVU sees a full half volt + difference from what the battery actually reads.

Spaceclam said:
It also means that a battery that should be able to start the bike, may not because the EVU sees a full half volt + difference from what the battery actually reads.

Maybe. But after mucking about with the key on for a while, the bike cranked and started just fine. At that point the Voltage at the battery terminals would still have been at 12.12V.

When running along, the LCD readout is usually 13.3V, even when idling it's about that and from memory the Voltage at the battery terminals is almost 14V then. I should have checked what the readouts were at the battery terminals, LCD screen and on VDSTS with the engine running. Silly me.

i have past the info back to technoresearch i.e peoples set up etc,they said it's to be investigated next week,i will keep you all posted on their reply as soon as i get it..
alwyn..

I've had a response from Sandro at Techno Research, as follows:

Hello alwyn,
The ECU is what reads the battery voltage and we read that information from the ECU. Our documentation shows that our software is correct as per Marelli's specifications. Usually there is a voltage drop between the ECU and the battery due to the wiring impedance but should be small very small. So the 1,5 voltage drop that you are seeing is a bit much. Can you check the wiring. What component did you say might have to be replaced?

My response to Sandro was as follows:

"Thanks Sandro,for your reply.
No components need to be replaced yet.
The main issue is that we (several people on the Guzzi forum) are experiencing the same readings,i.e about 1.5 volt difference between the vdst voltage reading and the actual voltage reading taken directly at the battery. The difference is too great to be a voltage drop and too consistent from different users. Therefore we feel that we are not getting battery volt readings accurately from the vdst. As you can appreciate some people may interpret the low readings and suspect problems with 'for example' the charging system. It might be a minor issue but if the vdst display reads 'battery volts' then you would expect battery volts surely? Going forward, it might be worth amending future models to read 'ECU voltage' and not 'battery voltage' to avoid confusion. Could you possibly pursue this? What do you think about this? Thanks for your input, I will feed this back to the Guzzi forum and maybe hear from you soon."

So in a nutshell, if they can change the display on the VDST this should avoid any future confusion. I will let you know if I hear anything further. In the meantime, please be aware that you are not reading battery voltage accurately.

Cheers, Alwyn

Back