• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

VIN question

Fuller56

Just got it firing!
Good Evening All,
I am new to your forums but a long time Guzzista. My question is about the VIN on my '84 California 2. I recently changed insurance providers and put Gus back on the road after he has had a rest of several years. The previous insurer never had a question about the VIN in years past. The new folks say the VIN does not come back to a 1984, they are not denying insurance, just questioning it, so far. I have sent them photos of the number plate on the bike and of the matching NYS title. I did a basic google VIN search and they are correct, this VIN returns to a 2014 Guzzi. Anybody got an answer? I know the VIN has not been altered as I have had the bike since new, I put it together out of the crate.
Thanks.

Welcome. Always try a search per the paragraphs at the top of the page;

Hope you'll add you info to the Registry;

Welcome.

😆😆😆

I experience this every single day at my workshop! My ShopMonkey software will give this exact same answer because of the algorithm used to calculate the year in the 17 digit VIN number.

Here’s what’s happening:

Your insurance person is only seeing what their computer tells them because there is only a maximum of 30 years (30 possible characters available {A-Z and 0-9} for the VIN year field except there is no I, O, Q, U, Z or the numeral 0, so [26 letters + 10 digits] minus the 6 characters not used makes for 30 possible values) available to the algorithm the programmers of the software use.

Hence, anything more than 30 years, shows an erroneous year of manufacturer because the cycle of 30 possible characters available for the VIN year field, MUST naturally repeat itself all over again.

A, B, C,…1,2,3…etc.

So, even though I do not know your VIN, I can predict with 100% certainty, that the 10th position in your VIN must be an ”E”.

This would show a 2014 model year for a computer algorithm because it can only look back 30 years because of the repeating digits.

Currently, all current year motorcycle VIN numbers have a “N” in the 10th position, indicating 2022 model year. Counting backwards from “N” back to “E” shows 2014. However if you keep counting backwards, when “E” comes back again, it will indicate 1984! The software cannot reconcile 2 different values for the same character “E”, hence it just thinks your bike is a 2014.

By the way, the 17 digit VIN classification began in 1981.

Your VIN is absolutely correct.

The software is constrained to 30 possible values and then it repeats itself.

Your insurance agent cannot think this one through because they only believe what the computer says!

I’m sure they don’t know that there are only 30 possible values for the year of manufacture position in the VIN.

😆

Last edited:
@scottmastrocinque Outstanding answer! Thank you. If there is a further question from the insurer I will forward your decryption of the VIN to them. Per the agent it is likely to be several weeks, at least, before there is any further interest, communication from them. This is much appreciated.

Thanks for completely ignoring my post.

Scott is always on point. You are lucky.

I hear you. I have to schedule in peeing time in my days anymore! 😆

It’s why I don’t engage so many posts here lately as they are epic time saps on not so important stuff…like mismatching tires of all things…😳

@GTM, sorry you are offended, I did not ignore your post., I just did not reply to it. The info you supplied was helpful re: the VIN decoder. I will offer my info on Gus to the registry, as soon as I find a photo to attach as there have not been any recently taken.

I hear you. I have to schedule in peeing time in my days anymore! 😆

It’s why I don’t engage so many posts here lately as they are epic time saps on not so important stuff…like mismatching tires of all things…😳

Scott: Wait 'til you're 85. You won't be scheduling peeing time; it will be scheduling YOU! You can guess how I know.

Ralph

@GTM, sorry you are offended, I did not ignore your post., I just did not reply to it.
Offended? The line from the scrolling paragraphs above... "Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!" < That's the one.
This IS NOT a free social media website where you get ignorant replies. This is a very expensive endeavor for me both financially and of my time. This is also NOT a big corporation website, nor is it anyone's full time job to answer people's random questions here, especially when it's been talked about on other posts, all reasonably easy to find via a search.

Appreciate the info and pic on the VIN# post. They are just fun to have (in time).

Back