• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Warning - Fire Risk

Smoothy

Tuned and Synch'ed
If your Stelvio drops an HT lead/ plug cap, firing on one cylinder - DO NOT CARRY ON RIDING - shut off and get recovered immediatly.

Mine dropped to one cylinder and I carried on for approx 1/4 mile, engine was intermitently firing normally. I was going to turn around and head for the dealer when I noticed a puff of smoke in my left mirror, then another!!!
What's going on, looked down and saw flames licking at my backside. :eek:hmy:

I shut off and put it on the stand (still in a que of traffic) saw that my carbon hugger was on fire.
I tried to pat it out with my glove but it took hold very quickly, Luckely I was in the middle of a town so someone with a brain heard my calls for an extinguisher, ran out of a shop and put it out.

My dealer were so shocked they shipped me a replacement bike and replaced all the damaged parts - tye, hugger, under tray, +. FOC then shipped me my bike the next day. Fantastic service.

The cause was fuel being pushed into the exhaust and ignited at the cat. causing a massive temperature increase. As the hugger was the closest flammable item it went up.

I was very lucky, another 20 seconds and the whole bike would have been a burn't out wreck, be warned.

:blink:

Thanks for the info/post!

Hey smoothy ,what do you mean drop a lead/ plug cap? Did it disconnect or what? How on earth did one just stop conducting?
FBC

Hi Smoothy
That's was a close shave, great service mind:)

Has your recall been done?
I know the earlier plug caps broke down( flimsy GP800 ones ) but during the recall new stronger units are supposed to be fitted!
I have looked at mine and the after recall ones are noticably diffrent, much bulkier.

Loftyjohn

How are you notified of recalls?

My problem started on the way home from it's first service - 750 miles
I am still waiting for my workshop manual to arrive so I'm not sure whether the cap is a coil cap similar to BMW or whether it is just a plug cap.

Mine was exactly the same scenario - riding home from first service and one cylinder just gives up the ghost. I didn't have any fire problems, thank goodness, as I was able to limp about 5 miles back to the shop.

I had the same problem 10 miles from the dealer after the first service.

My "plug" broke, the threads stayed in the head an the rest of the plug was being pushed out of the cylinder head, still firing but with no compression it just sound like a poor running air compressor.

The dealer came with an ez-out and pulled the threads out of the cylinder, re-installed a new plug and off I went.

I was there for the service and watched him use a torque wrench on the spark plug so it wasn't like he torqued it with a 6' cheater bar. It was just a faulty NGK plug.

It was the first time I had ever seen anything like that.

Some idiot in the factory put gasket sealer on the original oil filter gasket and it took many different oil filter removing tools, strips of old rubber tubing as shims and a lot of luck to get the oil filter out. We almost pulled the oil pan. Once the oil filter came out the gasket stayed on the machined surface, it took 30 minutes to get it off, it was stuck big time.

I think my motor was put together on a Friday afternoon after a very liquid lunch :angry:

The real risk of fire is the plastic fuel connector on the gas tank, it is the same that they used on the Caponord and Futura that would get brittle and break causing a big time fire while riding. I was shocked when I saw that last weekend when I looked under the plastic. Piaggo came up with a metal connector fix after a bunch of Aprilia's BBQ'ed. This will be my next upgrade.

Back