• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Went down for the first time

bounty320i

Tuned and Synch'ed
Ok, so I crashed a couple of days ago while mid corner on an exit ramp. I hit a diesel patch and lost the front. I was doing about 60-70kmh and ended sliding for about 10 meters before hitting the rail. I am really grateful to the fact that I was wearing my gear and luckily walked away unscathed. The only damage I sustained was to my ego and a stiff arm and neck the morning after - It could have been a lot worse and I'm grateful for that.

The best thing that happened that morning was leaving my Griso behind and in favor of my 1200GS :D :D

I will be replacing the front break lever, engine guard and indicators but somehow it doesn't really matter - cant imagine saying the same thing if it were the Griso.

Ride safe !

It happens. Glad you weren't badly hurt and that you can still have a sense of humor about it.

It's been a good many years since I went down at speed (dog commiting suicide by bike). I escaped with a bad rash and bent forks, and it made me a more defensive rider.

I know what you mean about feeling worse had it been the Griso. I managed to drop mine at walking speed through sheer stupidity -- front brake while turning in gravel -- after owning it for less than two weeks. The exhaust burned my calf and left a teacup-sized scar, the valve cover and CARC cover were mildly scraped but no damage beyond the cosmetic.

I agonized over my idiocy for a day or two, but eventually reconciled to the fact that those shared scratches bonded man to machine -- like blood brothers.

Sorry to hear of the mishap but glad you walked away and can share the experience. After having a few days to dwell on the incident what would you do different? We can all learn from someone else's mistake or misfortune..... :?:

Thanks guys..

oceanluvr30 said:
Sorry to hear of the mishap but glad you walked away and can share the experience. After having a few days to dwell on the incident what would you do different? We can all learn from someone else's mistake or misfortune..... :?:

What would I have done differently? Gosh..! Well to start off, I do realise - now - that it was all my fault. I was careless and a bit too confident. I remember smelling the diesel and ignoring it, I remember seeing the black fuel line and going ... "nah, that's probably water".. most importantly and out of stupidity ;) ;) I crossed it taking the corner..

The morning after, I took the Griso out for a short morning ride to see how it would feel.. Wasn't very comfortable especially on ramps.. :D but at least I was out there riding and not in a hospital or worse..

My right arm and hip still hurt and I have a small road rash patch on my stomach were it was exposed during the slide- I've definitely learnt my lesson and will be a more vigilant rider and always dress for the fall :lol:

bounty320i said:
Thanks guys..

oceanluvr30 said:

What would I have done differently? Gosh..! Well to start off, I do realise - now - that it was all my fault. I was careless and a bit too confident. I remember smelling the diesel and ignoring it, I remember seeing the black fuel line and going ... "nah, that's probably water".. most importantly and out of stupidity ;) ;) I crossed it taking the corner..

The morning after, I took the Griso out for a short morning ride to see how it would feel.. Wasn't very comfortable especially on ramps.. :D but at least I was out there riding and not in a hospital or worse..

My right arm and hip still hurt and I have a small road rash patch on my stomach were it was exposed during the slide- I've definitely learnt my lesson and will be a more vigilant rider and always dress for the fall :lol:

When you posted about this on WG, I *assumed* you'd crossed it leaned over. On reflection, my answer to you saying it was a cheap lesson or something like that wasn't in the best of taste. :whistle:
At any rate, I'm glad you're ok.
I had an infamous crash and burn a few years ago. It took a while ..

bounty320i said:
Thanks guys..

oceanluvr30 said:

Thanks for the insight, we can all learn from these errors in judgement. I think many times we just get lucky when we push the envelope but as you unfortunately found out it only takes seconds for bad things to happen. Ride safe and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Congrats on saving yourself from a worse outcome. Several years ago I lowsided on another bike at about 35 mph and half my body was seriously aching for a week. Nothing like getting body slammed on pavement to affect serious bruising. No broken bones, very fortunate. Nowadays I begin and end my rides with a prayer.

As a sobering reminder of craziness, see my post over at the lounge. The husband and wife are still hospitalized, and he is still on a ventilator and fighting for his life. Be defensive at all times riders!

Back