• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What am I missing?

af1-windy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Well, the weather is set to get better and I have a few trips planned. I'm going to France two up at the end of May, never toured two up before so I'm looking forward to it, it's reason I bought this bike, so I can tour with my partner .

I managed to snap up a set of "fit to the body" panniers for a steal, red though and the bike is white :huh: but they are brand new in the box and were a third of the listed price, I paid £240

I started fitting the brackets to the foot pegs only to find the bolts are too long and will not tighten up, what am I missing??? is it as simple as buy some shorter bolts?

Cheers all and here's to a great riding season. :D

windy

Windy, need more info and/or pics. These are not the OEM/Trax bags, but the plastic Norge type, yes?

GT-Rx said:
Windy, need more info and/or pics. These are not the OEM/Trax bags, but the plastic Norge type, yes?

You are correct, it's the plastic panniers that fit to the body work.

I'm pretty sure it's just a couple of plain bolts to fasten the brackets to the heal gaurd on the foot beg, I just find it odd the bolts that came with the kit are too long and thought that maybe I was missing the point, but it seems not. Thanks for replying. :)

windy

The snap on bracket is usually attached by an anti theft screw with a break off hex head. I took mine off, to see what my B11 would look like w/o all the luggage brackets, a while back and switched to SS a M6x16 socket head.

May have some bolts spare as I fitted givi frames when I sold the original planners ( recall you nearly bought them).
On holiday till weekend, ping me a pm as a reminder

Rafael said:
The snap on bracket is usually attached by an anti theft screw with a break off hex head. I took mine off, to see what my B11 would look like w/o all the luggage brackets, a while back and switched to SS a M6x16 socket head.

That's what that funny shaped bolt is :whistle: now I get it...

the thread does look as though it's too long but it could just be tight. I'll take a closer look at the weekend.

windy

Campagman said:
May have some bolts spare as I fitted givi frames when I sold the original planners ( recall you nearly bought them).
On holiday till weekend, ping me a pm as a reminder

Thanks for the offer but I think I may have figured it out. And yes I did nearly buy your panniers, that was just before my lad told me he was off to Africa for 12 weeks...

I couldn't turn these down at £240, brand new in the box from a guzzi dealer. Like I said though they are red and my bike is white... :S

windy

Windy, If not to much trouble, I'd like to see some photos of the panniers on your bike. Is there any mounting hardware left on the bike after you remove them?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the big square boxes and would like something a bit more stylish.

Especially, when not mounted to the bike.

BTW... Your bags will match the red Guzzi logo. :)

RonStelvio said:
Windy, If not to much trouble, I'd like to see some photos of the panniers on your bike. Is there any mounting hardware left on the bike after you remove them?

Yes, there's a small bracket fastened to each foot peg (heel plate) that the panniers lock on to and there's a bar on the number plate which stops the panniers bouncing inwards

Personally, I'm not a fan of the big square boxes and would like something a bit more stylish.

Nor me, I sold mine, the boxes are 2 inches wider than the bars were as these panniers are about 2 inches norrower, much better for filttering (lane splitting)

Especially, when not mounted to the bike.

BTW... Your bags will match the red Guzzi logo. :)

I'll get some photos on Saturday and post them in the afternoon or Sunday.

Cheers

windy

Not my bike

Googled this photo.. same panniers as mine, it gives you an idea of size and how they look. Mine won't look as good being red on a white bike but at least you get the idea.

I'll post pics of mine at the weekend along with pics of the brackets on show when panniers are off the bike.

2009-Moto-Guzzi-Stelvio-1200-4V-Back-Angle_zps25456091.jpg

Don't forget your breathaliser kit new mandatory carry for all vehicles since July 2012 in France

Ray1150 said:
Don't forget your breathaliser kit new mandatory carry for all vehicles since July 2012 in France

I read the other day "Ride" that the French have pulled that law along with the 150cm2 of relective material on bike jackets.

I have some hi vis on my jacket and have already bought the breathalisers so I may as well take them..

Cheers

windy

Thanks, I hadn't seen that, just found this;-
Interior Minister Manuel Valls revealed the law, which was aimed at tackling drink-driving, has been put on the back-burner for the foreseeable future.

The regulation, which also affected foreigners driving in France, came into force on July 1st last year, but because of numerous hick- ups it has never actually been applied by the authorities.

Drivers found it hard to get their hands on the disposable test kits, with stores across the country frequently forced to put up 'out-of-stock' notices. Suppliers could not keep up with the demand.

Questions were also raised over the reliability of the breathalysers, known as Ethylotests in France, and whether the results were accurate.

Valls said he wanted to wait until he receives a report from France’s road safety authority, the Conseil national de la sécurité routière, before making a final decision. A further announcement is expected to be made in February.

The law, which was brought in to try and cut the number of road deaths linked to drink driving, required all drivers to carry an unused breathalyser test in their cars, either disposable ones or a reusable digital device. Any motorists caught flouting the law were subject to an €11 fine.

Back