• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What do YOU see?

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
A racing buddy of mine passed away recently and I was thinking about some of the coversations we used to have on the way to Bonneville.

This guy was a dyed in the wool race character. But his public driving drove me nuts.

We'd be goin down the highway in a big dually pickup, pulling a trailer with a long Lakester on it. When he was behind the wheel, we'd be somewhere between 70 MPH and 80 MPH in a 65 MPH zone. If a car was to drive slower than us, and not immediately get out of the left lane (USA) Glen would get VERY aggressive. Tailgating within 10 feet (at 70+ MPH), cutting in and out of lanes, etc. was, unfortunately, not uncommon,

He would shout "pull over", or can't you see the sign, Slower traffic stay right?"

I found it facinating that although the two of us were in the SAME vehicle, at the SAME time, we both saw different road signs.

Glen saw "Slower Traffic Keep Right"
I saw "Speed Limit 65"

On my bike, I drive slightly faster than the bulk of traffic. I have excuses and reasons...
In the car I put the cruise control at the posted speed limit.

In California it seems that a large percentage of drivers speed.

Maybe I am getting old ...

Which laws do YOU choose to ignore?

What do You see?

Alex

Ditto on the bike, a little faster than the traffic for self-preservation

In the car I'm afraid that anyone in front of me is a challenge although many years ago I stopped driving aggressively to get in front. I think the reason for change in behaviour (not attitude) came about when I was doing a fair bit of competition driving and that exorcised many demons and increased the awareness of risk. Also the proliferation of speed cameras helped. On suburban roads I stick to the limit, on a main highway I'll do about 5kph over the limit, on an empty country road in a delimitation zone (100kph) I might do up to 130kph. I used to rail at unrealistic motorway limits (i.e. 100kph here v 130kph in Europe) but I've now realised that most Australian drivers are so bad there'd be carnage at 130.

I tend to use the cruise a lot, and also the speed limiter when in the suburbs

Like you, depends on the number of wheels under me. With two, I'm a bit faster than with 3 to 4. With 3 or 4 I tend to go the speed limit +/- or conform with the pack unless there's a super slow poke, then I'll pass them.

California is full of comatose drivers, clogging up the fast lane and preoccupied with stuff other than driving. Like Series4, I've slowed down in a car. I let the speeders get by and flush out the CHP - works pretty good. Cars nowadays are so much smoother, faster etc., than they were 25 years ago. I used to be one of the fastest things on the road doing 80mph now I'm hold up traffic at 80! Guess 90 is the new 75.

A big grin spread across my face the first time I saw a California style driver get pulled over by a trooper in another state for pointlessly driving in the passing. Now that's something I envy about Kansas! :mrgreen:

Sorry about your buddy Alex.

Rafael said:
With two, I'm a bit faster than with 3 to 4.
By 3 to 4 wheels, you mean something like?:

images

:lol:

In Greece it is usual to see 40 Km/h limit in places where everything below 80 Km/h is out of any logic.
There are a lot of cases where you may see a 30 Km/h sign at a 90 Km/h road forgotten by past road works or see a... :blink: 10 Km/h !!! sign at a 80 Km/h country road just because some minor road work that would logically require a 40 Km/h limit... Simple logic behind this: make them all illegal so you can call them as guilty because of speeding when whatever mishap happens because of poor road work labeling as well as collect speed tickets whenever you want....
So the result is that none trusts speed limit signs even when they are correct...
On the highways it is not unusual to see recklessly driving blokes speeding through traffic in most dangerous ways never being stopped while perfectly safe drivers are stopped to be ticketed for driving at 150 Km/h at 4 lane empty roads because the limit is 120 Km/h...
Ah, the casual fast lane slow driver while the slow lane is empty is such a usual case around here...

I too found that once I started racing, I started to slow down in public. At the track, I can go as fast as I can make that bike go. I satisfy the speed demon there.

Of course, getting older might be a factor as well.

As far as the "slower traffic keep right" chant... seems to me that mind set is directly connected to "It's OK for me to speed because..."

Ciao for now,

Alex

High speed in a car scares me, even when I'm the nut behind the wheel.
High speed on a bike I feel perfectly safe and in control.
Age, responsibility and common sense catches up with most of us.
see my sig

lol I drive a bus around Brisbane[which is in Queensland Australia for you overseas folk]. Every day and I mean every day I see something that makes me go what the f&^k are you thinking you swivel eyed half wit. I hate driving my wife's car around because it shits me the way other tin top drivers behave but when I am on the bike all the tension just melts away baby. Best way to get around is to assume the tin tops are trying to kill you and go from there lol.

Well Toner, I'm like your friend, if your in the fast lane you better be going more than the speed limit.

My view is that if I want to exceed the speed limit no other civilian road user has the right to stop me. As far as I'm concerned anybody not doing at least the speed limit or not moving over when they see me coming up behind them is a selfish shit.

I don't kick doors like I used to in my younger days :whistle:

So if I understand you correctly, the speed limit is the law you choose to break, and no one else is allowed to stay within the law while you break yours (like drive the limit in the "high speed" lane)?

hehheh Here in California very few folks drive anywhere near the speed limit. typically about 10 MPH over.

Al

Speed limits are inherently at fault:
You cannot apply the same limit for a 60 year old woman in a 30 year old car and a 30 year old guy on a brand new Norge and a 40 year old man in a 5 year old Subaru Forester Turbo but it gets impractically complicated to assign different limits and enforcing them.
So it gets down to common sense enforcing ... which differs between different country cultures, police chiefs and melts down to individual police officer opinion.

BUT HAVE NO FEAR:
Fully automatic automata vehicles will make public driving/riding obsolete and ultimately, illegal in the not-so-far future and sent the "age of the motorist" to the history closet :|

Back