Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

What size is the damper top nut on my 2001 Jackal

Discussion in 'Chat & Tech Info' started by moparrob, Aug 22, 2020.

1. moparrob

moparrob Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I am going to re-valve my forks on my 2001 Jackal and was wondering if anyone knows what the size of this hex is or if there is a proper tool to hold the rod while loosening the bottom bolt? Thanks in advance for the help.

Damper Rod hex.jpg

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You can always use a bolt and two nuts locked together to snugly fit in the hex. Then all you need is a socket or spanner to fit the nuts.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

4. moparrob

I have re-valved forks before, so I am not worried about performing the procedure. The question I have relates to how to hold the damping rod in place to tighten the lower bolt, after I remove the existing hex from the top of the rod as instructed by Race Tech

damper without hex.jpg

I know some people mention using a length of 1 inch square tube to roughly approximate the size of the remaining hex after removing the 8mm hex insert, I was just hoping to use a more precise tool.

5. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

Are the edges / facets I colored something that a Large Nut could fit in to hold it
    and still get a Hex key through the middle ?

( I'm imagining that's where the square tube came in play last time ? )

damper_without_hex-2.jpg

6. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I believe you mean collared. I'm not meaning to be a dick, just trying to avoid confusion.

7. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

I colored what I was thinking is the inside of the Collar :) -I wasn't sure what those were ?

528722_x450.jpg

Something Like this BUT with the Edges on the Outside - not inside

8. moparrob

Deadeye, yes, they do make a tool that is supposed to fit the flats, I just wanted to be sure of the actual size. They look like this:

motion-pro-fork-compression-valve-removal-tool.jpg

They also have one like this for the fork caps

motion-pro-showa-22mm-SFF--air-fork-tool.jpg

In any case I think I am just going to be using the 1 inch tube for now and not over-think the process. Thanks for all of the input.

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

I went looking for the OEM tool list to no avail. Even then, you can bet it would be painfully expensive I'm sure. If you can put a caliper on it, please, post again with the size.
    Below is a generic version (not listed for the Guzzi forks), which either you can do or I can make one (which I'd like to do for my shop anyway).

ABA3BBFB-3E51-481D-A906-70D32012EA92.jpeg

10. moparrob

I will tackle it next week, now that I have the emulator valves and setup info from Matt Wiley at Race Tech. Will let you know.

11. moparrob

Answer: none of the above! The top looks like this

Damper rod 2.jpg

I ended up taking a taper walled 3/8 drive socket that fit in the end of the damper rod and wrapped it with electrical tape to create friction on the inside of the hole. It works but it was crude. I have learned that other people have used tapered wood shafts (like a broom handle sanded to a taper) to achieve this also. Necessity is the mother of invention.