• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What Size Spoke Wrench?

Bonaventure

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Wrong terminology my last attempt at asking this. Seek to know what mm spoke wrench or socket needed for routine maintenance of spoke tension. Seems closely guarded info as I can find it no where, including the shop manual. I did glean on here that the torque range for spoke tension is 5 - 7 NM, but no info on the size of the hex fitting on the spoke tension nut.

I don't have any calipers. Kind of blows my mind how obscure this info appears to be, given search results on google and over on wild guzzi forum. Especially when considering the importance of spoke tension checks on the Alpina wheels during routine maintenance of the bike.

Alpina manual on PDF states 4-7nm for spoke torque, but never cites the hex spoke's size.

Will your local dealer measure them for you, or an service center for that matter?

Or go to a shop that sells spoke wrenches and ask for one that fits your spokes. Surely they will let you try them for fitment?

Given the importance of proper tension especially with these o-ringed Alpina's, would've thought the spoke hex size info to be more widely available. Surely everyone is performing a tension check at each service interval?

Surely everyone is performing a tension check at each service interval?

Probably not. You do realize it would be best to torque with tire off so you can get an actual true reading? Torquing from the side using a crow foot changes the applied torque. Also turning the nipple repeatedly has a good chance of damaging the o-rings. Most folks I know with these Alpina wheels are applying a seal to the inside of the rim and not bothering with trying to keep the o-rings sealed.

Probably not.

Pg 225 of my 2016 owner manual has the following entry within the Periodic Maintenance Chart:

"Wheel Nipple Tightening (1)" for each 6200 mile (10,000km) interval. (1) is a notation to "Check and Clean, Adjust If Necessary..."

Seems to be about ensuring uniform spoke tension for proper wheel dynamics during operation and particularly important at the first service as the new wheels settle in.

And, there's this thread:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/alpina-spokes-a-death-wish.6725/

In that discussion, forum admin Todd recommended regular tension checks.

You do realize it would be best to torque with tire off so you can get an actual true reading?

Tire off the ground w/ bike on ctr stand, rotate each spoke to same physical position should be okay. Seeing pro mechanics doing it that way on youtube.

Torquing from the side using a crow foot changes the applied torque.

Will be using a Tusk spoke torque wrench. They're calibrated to allow for the crows foot configuration. Alpina STS maintenance manual says 4 - 7 NM torque spec. Figure I'll set to 5 NM (44.3 in-lbs) to allow for possible applied torque error.

Also turning the nipple repeatedly has a good chance of damaging the o-rings. Most folks I know with these Alpina wheels are applying a seal to the inside of the rim and not bothering with trying to keep the o-rings sealed.

While potential small scale air seepage is possible it's more about wheel integrity for me. If there's one phenomenon in motorcycling that gets my attention it's head shake, wobble, tank slappers. Coming from cast wheels in past bikes, during my introduction to spoke/laced wheels I've learned that improper spoke tension can increase the possibility of wobble. So it would follow that to ensure the highest likelihood of safe operation, regular spoke tension checks as recommended in the owner manual, are important.

Last edited:
Back