• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What thread is this?

NPS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have removed one of the two alloy nipples from under the tank on a Breva 11. It is part of the petrol spill and drain off. Under the tank this item screws in to a brass bush moulded into the tank acrylic. A tube attaches and runs down to drain.

I have got one off but one stuck. I'm switching tanks to one that is not damaged by ethanol.
The Guzzi part 30103730 costs about GBP 10 which is stupid.

I'm trying to identify the thread and get a cheaper replacement.

The OD is 6.75 mm and the thread pitch is about 1 or 25-26 tpi.

I did not measure a tapper on the thread. I'm guessing it is NPTF thread? In which case it could be 1/4 inch.

20170520 182509 1

Try using a metric thread gauge. It is an Italian bike so I doubt it is an SAE thread. One tap is for tank venting, the other is overflow. They are not inexpensive in the US either, $12.16 USD. I doubt is is a pipe thread (interference makes the seal) since it is installed with an o-ring. It is probably used on some Italian car, but finding the equivalent would be difficult. You may spend less time and money just buying it from Guzzi. Have you tried a penetrating oil to get out the one that is stuck? I've had the best luck with home made penetrating fluid, a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid.

Reactions: NPS
I have not come across M7 before! Yes it could be. Come to think of it some brake bleed nipples must be that size and may well fit with a little shortening. Yes John I used a metric thread gauge and it seemed to be about 1mm pitch.

Edit: found some M7 bleed nipples and ordered two for a £1 each. Will check they fit first before saying I have the solution.

Last edited:
John I like you acetone and ATF idea. Might mkae my own. I havnt got Acetone though but I do have Methanol. Would Methanol and ATF work? I presume the solvent gets it into places and the ATF is a low viscosity lubricant, so could work well.

Yesterday I decided to spit the gearbox and to complete a FULL strip down of every single item on the Breva. The reason was that I was facing a job of prep the gearbox for repainting. There was quite a large amount of external corrosion and I soon realised it would be easier to strip the box down and do a proper job with surface blasting
After opening and assessing, all bearings, forks, dogs and gears look ok, except the needle roller bearing at the rear of the the clutch shaft. It felt "not" smooth to rotate and with the shaft in place there is a large amount of movement on the shaft that suggests there is a problem. I'm doing this subjectively as I don't know how much play a needle roller should have magnified by the lever of a shaft 20-30 times its length. It did seem excessive and I'm going on my gut feel that it is not right. Cheap to replace and I have it out. The other bearings are fine. The selector drum has open ball bearings. The front clutch, primary and driven have sealed bearings. They feel very smooth. I'm replacing all seals. I'm not sure how to renovate the outside so I will ask my local renovation expert. I dont want to remove the bearings and risk any damage. I would prefer aqua blasting and I might need to remove the paint with paint stripper. If the bearings can stay there then great. If not I will take a step back and do the outside by hand prep.

John I like you acetone and ATF idea. Might mkae my own. I havnt got Acetone though but I do have Methanol. Would Methanol and ATF work? I presume the solvent gets it into places and the ATF is a low viscosity lubricant, so could work well.

It really needs to be Acetone. Most hardware shops (at least in the US) carry it.

Back