• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What to buy - Griso?

Niels

Just got it firing!
Hi everybody,

I am looking for some opinions on what to buy as my next bike.
I'll make it short since i just spent 45 minutes on writing a threat just to loose everything while I submitted it, for some reason.
So here in a nutshell: I owned a Suzuki Bandit 600 in Austria and was quite happy with it: price, handling and reliability were nice. And it looked even pretty cool in all black.
Of course I am now somewhat older (33) and would like a little more style and personality in my next ride!

Sharing a car with my wife since we move to the US from Europe doesn't do it anymore. But all I need is a commuter ride for about 2x 25miles/per day and that is in SoCal. So a bad weather issues don't really exist.

I am looking at Japanese bikes like Suzuki's B-King, the Yamaha FZ1. The first for it's aggressive looks and sporty ride, the latter for being a well rounded product at an affordable price. Of course there is never the uniqueness there. Hardly anybody will ever turn his head for any of those, not that i need that:lol:

Then there are the Europeans: Ducati Monster or Streetfighter for that matter, which shows off a little, is sexier, stands out but also with a steeper price: there is my patriotic choice of the KTM SuperDuke, which is definitely leaning more towards streetfighter bike and has probably a very sporty character. Finally, the British Triumph's Street Triple or Speed Triple, that somewhat represent the Queen's versions of a Moto Guzzi in my perception, no offense!

During my research my attention came to Moto Guzzi. I rode a friends California II back in Austria in the 90s and managed to burn the pattern of the engine block into my thigh wearing shorts but loved the cool ride and looks. The bike was so special that this friend dissembled it and took it with him to Australia when he emigrated there. I think the Griso looks fantastically unique and I'm wondering if it handles well and is also made for a somewhat sporty driver that likes it both comfy sometimes but also aggressive when he is in the mood!

I assume that most of the readers here are Moto Guzzi owners and enthusiasts. So I would appreciate any opinion, pros and cons on why to choose a Griso over a cheaper Japanese or any other European built bike. By the way, I love the looks of Harleys - I'm just not the kind of cruiser guy!

Take care
Niels

The Griso is a pretty agressive-riding bike that you really s-t-r-e-t-c-h- over. It does everything very well and is quite reliable, but for commuting in SoCal, of which I did 30K miles last year before moving to Chicago, I would definitely recommend the Breva 1200 Sport for what you want. Very comfortable, slightly forward "standard" riding position, awesome everything for getting through the canyons on weekends, and man, that engine is dead-nuts reliable and the torque just PULLS like a locomotive. You can even go two up and bagged for the weekends.

I spent two weeks with one over October, and even now just talking about it gives me want to run out and get one. Here's my blog posting regarding the Breva 1200 Sport.
http://danilogurovich.wordpress.com...ws/moto-guzzi-breva-1200-sport-review-digest/
guzzi_whole_blog.jpg

To confuse you even more... :S
take a look at this from your former southern neighbours.
It's reliable, comfortable for every day use, you can easily put cases on it, is really a smooth ride etc.

I know it's hard to make a choice, it took me a year to decide wich Guzzi I liked most, since I can only afford one. :(
I came to the Breva because to me it's the best of both worlds.
Good looking naked and easy to rebuild as a traveller.
Good luck with your choice.

Niels wrote:
Sharing a car with my wife since we move to the US from Europe doesn't do it anymore. But all I need is a commuter ride for about 2x 25miles/per day and that is in SoCal. So a bad weather issues don't really exist.

During my research my attention came to Moto Guzzi. I think the Griso looks fantastically unique and I'm wondering if it handles well and is also made for a somewhat sporty driver that likes it both comfy sometimes but also aggressive when he is in the mood!

I assume that most of the readers here are Moto Guzzi owners and enthusiasts. So I would appreciate any opinion, pros and cons on why to choose a Griso over a cheaper Japanese or any other European built bike.
Niels, where are you in SoCal? You aware of the great group of Guzzista we have here, yes? SoCal-Guzzi.com, and join us on the Southwest section here on this Forum.

As to the Griso... 1100 or 1200 8V?

You yourself have to decide if you want a unique quirky Italian ride. The Griso is one of the most balanced, sporty standard/upright bikes I've ridden to date. It has tons of ground clearance (and yes, high pegs which some don't like) and is a blast in the canyons, and there's one or two here that commute on them. My only gripe is that the 6-spd transmission is a little too close ratio, and short-legged (high-revs @ lower speeds) which is tiring on long-distance high-speed riding. Outside of the in-tank fuel pump hose issues on the early versions, they are quite solid and seem to crash well. :blush: -- I happen to offer one of the best pipes out there for them if you haven't seen HERE. ;)

If you haven't ridden one, I suggest you do, or someone here in SoCal might offer up theirs for a quick run in the hills. You probably can already guess it, but Guzzis are very addictive and before you know it you'll have several.

My G11 review is HERE -- and I'll try and dig up some video on one of my favorite rides in SoCal aboard a G11.

Need more, say the word.

to Todds comment, having witnessed a red g11 crash, plush crashing mine, they are tough, much more so than the flimsy spineys... New Tonti's crash very well too..... rode both severely crashed bikes to the hospital or home garage.... I believe an unamed poster rode a red one back from a crash as well..... griso's are fun, pretty comfy, unique, and a blast to ride

All the models mentioned above will do whatever you want them to do;) . However for pure fun, the wow factor, and pose value, you can't go past the Griso:woohoo: .

Well for my opinion... I have had a griso for near on 3 years done 40000km on it. The thing has been a dream, touring/short trips/ and just a shit load of fun, as well as looking dead sexy doing it...just a shame the rider drags that sexy down a little.

I was looking at the breva initially, as for sure can fit more lugauge and looks very comfy...but let that go for the style looks and ride of the grizzzzz!!!

Tough call uh

I have ridden the Griso and the Breva. I always thoroughly enjoyed the Griso. It just feels good and sounds good For me around town the Griso is great. I'm a little cramped on the Griso for long distance. Which is where the Breva would come in.
In all I guess I'm a Griso fan.
Park it in a group of Harleys and see which bike get the looks.

Niel,

I have joined this board to continue my research for my next bike, hopefully the 8v Griso. I do not own a MG, but I do own a Buell XB12S and enjoy it.

I am looking to purchase the Griso for two up riding for my wife and I to enjoy soCal (San Diego) riding!! I was thinking that since you do like Harley's, that a Buell that get's 50mpg might be an option for commuting. Just a thought to add one more to your list of bikes.

I am a fan of all bike and do enjoy my ride, but I have since been smitten the first time I seen the Griso and I am determined to get one this year.

Good luck in your search.

John

The just-out March issue of Cycle World has a very nice article about the Griso 8v and even a photo on the cover. John Burns likes the new Griso but basically says what we already know about Guzzis in general -- it is what it is, quirky, lovable, capable, and very fun, but not a bike that will beat a liter-class water-cooled Japanese bike off the line or twisties either. The piece is worth reading, even though he takes a swipe at the v11, which I think is very cool still in its own right.

Neil, If you're considering the Griso for a two up bike, make sure you and your SO has had an opportunity to sit and if possible, ride it. My impression of the Griso, when I rode one, wa that it had very similar ergos to my LeMans. ('03) When my lady friend sat on the back, she got back off and said "I don't think so!"

Of course to each their own, but I would suggest a Breva 1100/1200, or Norge for serious two up duties.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

zoom zoom wrote:
Of course to each their own, but I would suggest a Breva 1100/1200, or Norge for serious two up duties.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry
Certainly so.

If you are going to the "sportier" side of the Breva frame, I'd say the 1200 Sport is your ride.

Back