• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What to buy next…

xqpvax

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
MG had to introduce a LC engine to meet global emissions requirements. It's great to see they kept the engine architecture and brought it into the 21st century. I'm looking forward to test riding one and probably owning a version in the near future, but it will never replace my classic Guzzi's. I own a 72 Eldorado 850, 73 V7 Sport, 07 Griso 1100 that Todd is working his GTM magic on and a V85TT. They are all unique and different but share the same Moto Guzzi soul. I'm hoping the new LC bikes share that Italian character.
Hey BillB: your post is prompting me to ask, as a single Guzzi owner (i have one Guzzi, otherwise I am not single...lol). If you were to advise me regarding the search for a vintage Guzzi, is there one or small group of bikes that scream "this is what Guzzi is all about"? Assume that I'd like something I can ride regularly, not a museum quality restoration. I own a v9 Bobber, so I'd like something a bit more 'sporty'. I'm not afraid to so some wrenching as long as I can find parts. Thanks for your feedback!

Hey BillB: your post is prompting me to ask, as a single Guzzi owner (i have one Guzzi, otherwise I am not single...lol). If you were to advise me regarding the search for a vintage Guzzi, is there one or small group of bikes that scream "this is what Guzzi is all about"? Assume that I'd like something I can ride regularly, not a museum quality restoration. I own a v9 Bobber, so I'd like something a bit more 'sporty'. I'm not afraid to so some wrenching as long as I can find parts. Thanks for your feedback!
forgot to mention that I see a couple of Le Mans here, but I understand the Mark I is actually the model to get: https://addamsautocycle.com/Pre-Owned-Bikes/Pre-Owned-Inventory

thanks again!

I would need to know your priorities to narrow down my recommendations. The primary variables are how much $ and FI vs carbs. Ethanol fuel isn’t carb friendly so if you decide on an older bike plan on finding premium non ethanol fuel. Any early Lemans is worth owning. The Lemans I & III have been discovered and good examples are getting expensive. The Lemans II /CX100 isn’t as desirable because it was built for the NA market and used the larger engine from the touring bikes. The Lemans IV & V are still reasonably priced and easy to live with. I’d recommend a V11 Sport or Lemans from the mid 2000’s if you want something with FI and modern brakes and controls. Hope that helps.

I would answer this question by saying, look at the Moto Guzzi motorcycles that people have ridden into the ultra HIGH MILEAGE category.

Don’t get me wrong, I love early Moto Guzzi singles, vintage Tonti frame models and the V11 Lemans variants, but I crave motorcycles I can ride in a moments notice without worrying about reliability or repairs, and that are comfortable for all day riding or traveling.

In this category and with this requirement , you will find the V11EV or a variant thereof to be the perfect choice!

(You can find many low mileage examples for sale, very reasonably priced.)

This motorcycle to me, defined a pinnacle of achievement for the California platform and represented the culmination of over 30 years of refinement of Ing. Giulio Cesare Carcano’s brilliant design of the very first 1969 V7 700.

Besides, parts are still widely available and these things are so damn comfortable to ride all day and they are just bulletproof motorcycles.

Do a SEARCH about Todd’s (GTM) 200,000+ mile Jackal. These bikes are simply that good and that much fun.

I have owned a few of them and have a California Vintage now. I love it very much. Still one of my favorite motorcycles to ride.

I removed the windshield and rear box for day riding as I prefer it that way but can easily reattach them both in about 15 minutes time.
California Vintage

If though, you feel a California is too “old man” (something I have never felt in the slightest) I would go with the other high mileage choice, a Breva.

I own a beautiful 1200 Sport and it is an amazing motorcycle too. I never get tired of riding it either.

1F05E257 0BCA 484D 8C45 9A2CBB57D0F1

A final cautionary word…

The love of Moto Guzzi motorcycles is a curious affliction.

It can and will wash over you in strange and unexplainable ways and next thing you know, your driveway and garage will look like mine, (or Bill Hagan’s 😝) and people will look at you and shake their head.

It’s ok. They wouldn’t understand.

B085AFFB 7D55 4973 8BBB 91723A6F1AF1

Since this photo, I added my beautiful Norge to the stable, making it 5 Moto Guzzi mistresses now! 😆😆😆

You can see the front of my California Vintage without the windshield. I love it naked like this. Very fun to ride and I love feeling the air and the uncluttered look.

Last edited:
Ethanol fuel isn’t carb friendly so if you decide on an older bike plan on finding premium non ethanol fuel.
E10 Premium is all I run in my "fleet" (V700, Convert, V50 III). Zero carburetor issues even when stored over the Winter. <shrug>

Agree with all Scott said. The 1100 Breva and 1200 Sport are excellent machines. Also The EV series with the 15M ECU and external fuel pump are my preference as they are the easiest to maintain.

I would answer this question by saying, look at the Moto Guzzi motorcycles that people have ridden into the ultra HIGH MILEAGE category.

Don’t get me wrong, I love early Moto Guzzi singles, vintage Tonti frame models and the V11 Lemans variants, but I crave motorcycles I can ride in a moments notice without worrying about reliability or repairs, and that are comfortable for all day riding or traveling.

In this category and with this requirement , you will find the V11EV or a variant thereof to be the perfect choice!

This motorcycle to me, defined a pinnacle of achievement for the California platform and represented the culmination of over 30 years of refinement of Ing. Giulio Cesare Carcano’s brilliant design of the very first 1969 V7 700.

Besides, parts are still widely available and these things are so damn comfortable to ride all day and they are just bulletproof motorcycles.

Do a SEARCH about Todd’s (GTM) 200,000+ mile Jackal. These bikes are simply that good and that much fun.

I have owned a few of them and have a California Vintage now. I love it very much. Still one of my favorite motorcycles to ride.

I removed the windshield and rear box for day riding as I prefer it that way but can easily reattach them both in about 15 minutes time.
View attachment 24299

If though, you feel a California is too “old man” (something I have never felt in the slightest) I would go with the other high mileage choice, a Breva.

I own a beautiful 1200 Sport and it is an amazing motorcycle too. I never get tired of riding it either.

View attachment 24300

A final cautionary word…

It can and will wash over you in strange and unexplainable ways and next thing you know, your driveway and garage will look like mine, (or Bill Hagan’s 😝) and people will look at you and shake their head.

View attachment 24301

Since this photo, I added my beautiful Norge to the stable, making it 5 Moto Guzzi mistresses now! 😆😆😆

You can see the front of my California Vintage without the windshield. I love it naked like this. Very fun to ride and I love feeling the air and the uncluttered look.
That is THE most beee-yooo-teeee-full (I'm from Philly) driveway I've ever seen!

View attachment 24299

View attachment 24300

A final cautionary word…

View attachment 24301

Love the 1200 Sport! The EV11 or California 1400 are certainly worthy of consideration. I am already an OLD man, so can't blame the bikes for that...I know a lot of us say we have to move to a 'more upright' riding position as we age, but I'm not so sure. I think I feel more comfortable in a more sporty position...

The driveway might be cracked and patched, but the hardware parked on it looks great! I might be on the older side, but I still much prefer the leaned-forward European riding position compared to the sit-up-and-beg cruisers.

Yes, I repair and recoat the driveway every 3 years. Time to do it again in the spring.

At my age, I just will not pay the $5,000+ that they want for a new driveway.

Concrete contractors are nuts here with their prices and I really don’t care that my driveway isn’t “Better Homes and Gardens” perfection. What a crock of BS that is!

As to riding position, I hate the standard HD and Metric cruiser riding position. However, the California and the Stelvio are nothing like that at all.

The California has a much higher seat than cruisers and the angle on your legs is very comfortable. Not at all stretched out like your riding a Harley recliner. I also love the toe/heal shifter for it’s elegant simplicity and the fact that your polished boots never get a scuff mark.

IMO - The Stelvio has the best riding position in the world. Period.

The 1200 Sport (with her Aprilia Mana handlebars), and V10-Centauro (stock bars) are comfortable because they are not radical forward leaning, thank God!

The new to me Norge, I haven’t logged any time on, (come on Spring!) but I suspect it will be very “Stelvio like” in its riding posture. I’m looking forward to some trips.

Unfortunately, I just despise cafe racer riding positions. They cripple me in about 15 minutes of riding. My spinal injuries and smashed collarbones just cannot cope with the strain.

I don’t bend forward very well anymore and I am way too old (and fat) for motorcycles like my old Ducati 996 or MV Augusta F4. Those days are past and I’m ok with that. 😄

Funny though, I’ve always had a California and Centauro combo for decades. These were taken in my back yard in 1999. I was working at Brattin Motors BMW Motorcycles in San Diego at the time. My collection swelled to 21 really nice motorcycles back then. It was truly obscene. I loved it! 😆😆😆

Believe me when I say that I’ve owned and ridden every conceivable type of motorcycle.

I will say though, my BMW K1100RS was the most comfortable long-distance motorcycle I ever owned. That motorcycle just flew and was rock solid and comfortable. Everything BMW is no longer. 😝.

I routinely ran 1,000 mile days on it.

I was notorious for leaving San Diego before dawn, riding the PCH to San Francisco for lunch, and back home again for a late supper.

BMW  Ducati V11  V10 V10 Centauro 20 years ago 5 4 11 13 18 6 20 19

I am very grateful for the motorcycle blessings in my life. Truly.

Last edited:
Scott, thanks for this post, I really related to it. I've been to Findley a number of times as my family visited the "ham-fest" when I was young (KA8MAP). I grew up in Youngstown, then stationed in NorCal and ultimately moving to SoCal, Mission Viejo.
I want to sell my CTX1300 for something Guzzi. After reading your port, a Stelvio may join my V7 this spring.
Fun pic below, me on my GB500 and my dad on my Seca II. MotoDaywithDad

Last edited:
I wish I had a picture of me and my Dad on motorcycles together. Unfortunately, my parents started their full scale war when I was only 7 years old. I ended up living with my Mom, so even though my Dad loved motorcycles as much as I do, (he owned many) I do not have a single photo of him on a motorcycle.

My Dad was married 7 times and had 8 children of which I was the last. By the time he got to me, I just think he didn't have much "Dad" left in him. I regret that. We didn't see each other or speak for many years.

When he was dying from cancer in 2017, I drove to Texas to see him as his condition was terminal. I rode my new Harley Davidson Street Glide to East Texas.

My Dad was in his 70's and very ill, and could hardly walk with bone cancer which had metastasized all over his body. However, he got up and hobbled out to the garage to see my motorcycle. He asked if he could sit on it and I said "Of course". I didn't have the presence of mind to have my camera phone ready; stupid idiot that I am.

When my Dad sat sidesaddle on the bike because he couldn't raise his leg, his hands gently touched the handlebars and controls and I watched his eyes take in all of the nuances of the new Harley Davidson. I was captivated by the complete and utter change in my Dad's eyes in this moment in time. For a brief fleeting moment, he was someplace else, riding, in his mind.

Although he was riddled in pain, he smiled (something he did not do often growing up) and thanked me as he hobbled back inside the house. Before he got completely away, I snapped his picture by the garage. It's the only picture I have of him even near a motorcycle although they were a part of his life for almost 60 years. Dad Trip 022

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for sharing. It will help me be more humble and appreciate what I have. My dad and I are close. He has always listened to what I have to say, and not to often judged me for it. At my age, I now realize how rare that is in anyone, including myself.
Here is my mom (1976 Harley (AMF Aermacchi) XL175 during a Youngstown, OH winter) and my great grandmother (the little girl, on her uncle's Indian). My mom lowered the enduro front fender and added the sissy-bar!

Mom1976HDXL175

GreatGrandmaCrossMoto

Yes, I repair and recoat the driveway every 3 years. Time to do it again in the spring.

At my age, I just will not pay the $5,000+ that they want for a new driveway.

Concrete contractors are nuts here with their prices and I really don’t care that my driveway isn’t “Better Homes and Gardens” perfection. What a crock of BS that is!

As to riding position, I hate the standard HD and Metric cruiser riding position. However, the California and the Stelvio are nothing like that at all.

The California has a much higher seat than cruisers and the angle on your legs is very comfortable. Not at all stretched out like your riding a Harley recliner. I also love the toe/heal shifter for it’s elegant simplicity and the fact that your polished boots never get a scuff mark.

IMO - The Stelvio has the best riding position in the world. Period.

The 1200 Sport (with her Aprilia Mana handlebars), and V10-Centauro (stock bars) are comfortable because they are not radical forward leaning, thank God!

The new to me Norge, I haven’t logged any time on, (come on Spring!) but I suspect it will be very “Stelvio like” in its riding posture. I’m looking forward to some trips.

Unfortunately, I just despise cafe racer riding positions. They cripple me in about 15 minutes of riding. My spinal injuries and smashed collarbones just cannot cope with the strain.

I don’t bend forward very well anymore and I am way too old (and fat) for motorcycles like my old Ducati 996 or MV Augusta F4. Those days are past and I’m ok with that. 😄

Funny though, I’ve always had a California and Centauro combo for decades. These were taken in my back yard in 1999. I was working at Brattin Motors BMW Motorcycles in San Diego at the time. My collection swelled to 21 really nice motorcycles back then. It was truly obscene. I loved it! 😆😆😆

Believe me when I say that I’ve owned and ridden every conceivable type of motorcycle.

I will say though, my BMW K1100RS was the most comfortable long-distance motorcycle I ever owned. That motorcycle just flew and was rock solid and comfortable. Everything BMW is no longer. 😝.

I routinely ran 1,000 mile days on it.

I was notorious for leaving San Diego before dawn, riding the PCH to San Francisco for lunch, and back home again for a late supper.

View attachment 24319View attachment 24320View attachment 24321View attachment 24322View attachment 24323View attachment 24324View attachment 24325View attachment 24326View attachment 24327View attachment 24328View attachment 24329

I am very grateful for the motorcycle blessings in my life. Truly.
Awesome pictures! Just wondering which Buell model you have and how was your experience with it?

Back