• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Whats wrong if...

FuzzyRider

Just got it firing!
I attempt to start my 09 Norge. It takes several seconds to start and then the RPMs stay around 1000. I have to ride the clutch to get the beast to take off and it runs rough for a couple of minutes. If I immediately turn it off and restart, everything is much better. The start is near instantaneous and the engine runs much more smoothly. I am afraid I am going to run the battery down or get nailed pulling out into the highway. Thanks for any help.

It could be so many things. She may need a tune with TB sync and TPS reset. Plugs may be worn. Stepper motor may not be functioning, either electrically of the air line to the stepper is clogged. Do you have any error codes? Can you get to someone with diagnostic software?

My 2011 does the same thing. Takes about 3 blocks to start running right. My 2006 Breva used to do the same thing also.

As John says, when was the last service? TPS or a tight valve might be the cause of a cold start issue, or do you let the speedo/tacho do the sweep back to zero before you start?

I have the exact same thing going on with my 09 Norge. I did the full service to it a few months ago and really didn't find anything amiss. Valves a little loose, TB about 3" off on my manometer, can't remember the TPS but it was a little high after syncing the TB. One thing that does stick out is I added a Staintune exhaust around 600 miles. Seems it may have started around that time. My first service was 100 or so miles late. I did leave the DB killer in as being stock I hoped that would prevent any issues. A restart fully cures it. Feels very flat off idle if I don't restart it for a few miles. Sometimes it will cut off on its own when I try to take off. Since you mentioned it I believe it does take a few extra revolutions before it fires off now and I do wait for the full sweep. Not enough to fear for the battery though and I chaulk that up to possibly the elevated temps we have been having here, maybe! I am right at 1900 miles and it is not bad enough to overly concern me yet. A new Moto Guzzi dealer opened up about 3.5 hrs. from me and I might just plan a day trip out there when the temps drop some and let them have a peek if it continues. May also look at putting the stock exhaust back as a last resort check. If it is the Staintune then I will have to tune it for it. Because I do like it.

Just wanted to clarify one thing on mine. It doesn't run rough at all, just feels flat for a while.

Might be the enrichment circuit playing here...

Maybe I am talking through my hat - just putting it out there...

Been busy, sorry haven't gotten back on this topic. Bike has about 31000 miles on it. A full maintenance was done at Moto Nexus less than 2000 miles and the bike has been maintained according to schedule its entire life. After its first few moments of running badly, it then runs quite well. Something, however, is not working correctly at startup. I hate to start throwing money at a problem like this, but if I have to I will. What do you think is the most likely culprit?

Take it back to Moto Nexus and have them run some diagnostics on it, perhaps the stepper motor is going south. Are you seeing any error codes in the Menu diagnostics screen?

OK, the menu and I do not get along. I need glasses for reading and that combined with the placement and contrast of the screen mean that I just generally ignore it. How does one get error codes? Do they just come up when an error occurs? If so, I do not believe I am getting any. If I have to dig into the menu, then someone is going to have to give me some help. I think I have a better understanding of why Italy is not at the forefront of the computer revolution after my few experiences with the menu...

FuzzyRider said:
OK, the menu and I do not get along. I need glasses for reading and that combined with the placement and contrast of the screen mean that I just generally ignore it. How does one get error codes? Do they just come up when an error occurs? If so, I do not believe I am getting any. If I have to dig into the menu, then someone is going to have to give me some help. I think I have a better understanding of why Italy is not at the forefront of the computer revolution after my few experiences with the menu...

Go to the breva general service manuals and owners manual for you bike. Go into the menu for maintenance. You will need to enter the service code for the bike (listed in the CARC section I believe). Look for dash and ECU error codes. The codes are lited in the general service manual.

There is a button on the left under the clutch lever, select the appropriate mode and use quick presses to increase the digit and long presses to advance to the next section
Kevin

Kevin.NZ said:
There is a button on the left under the clutch lever, select the appropriate mode and use quick presses to increase the digit and long presses to advance to the next section
Kevin

The Norge and and newer Brevas use a different controller. The joystick type. Process is similar, but you get there using a different method. He will have to either read the manual, or dick with it until he learns the technique. Easy to show someone, diffricult to explain how to use the joystick.

Back