• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Where do I start?

CHEWCIPHER

Just got it firing!
All I know is its a '74 Motto Guzzi , it was my Dads , and I want to get it running. Its a complete bikeand has been sitting since '86. Where do I start?

All I know is its a '74 Motto Guzzi , it was my Dads , and I want to get it running. Its a complete bikeand has been sitting since '86. Where do I start?
Take some detailed pictures and post them here so others can help determine the model it is, and what would be involved in getting it running again.

If it's a 74 model most likely has chrome bores. Known to bubble chrome after sitting. I would turn by hand to BDC and have a look w/borescope in spark plug hole. OR just pull off heads & have a look. I would at least put some Marvel Mystery oil in before turning it over by hand.
Investigate condition before geting chrome through oiling system. It may not have an oil filter, best to drop oil pan and have a look up in block. Then you can see cylinder skirts on bore condition, you won't be able to see top side where most wear occurs. Sitting 36yrs may have had an effect on condition.

Plan on a set of Gilardoni cylinders and pistons in you budget. Look up MG cycle. Also the 74 may be the single front disk brake version. The brake system will probably need to be replaced after sitting that long, but at least the cast iron rotor should be fine.

It was your Dad's and now it is yours. It's a treasure. Be patient and look before you leap. Good luck.
Yes, pictures would be a great start.
Since you are in NV is it safe to say it was stored there. If so, it will be in a lot better condition than most parts of this Continent.

It doesn't matter how good it looks, how few miles on it, or how little you might think it will need. It will take some serious cash. V700 Steve and John didn't state it strongly enough, the cylinders must be replaced before starting or you might have a complete and super expensive overhaul on your hands.

Congratulations! It’s a very special thing to own a motorcycle that was ridden by your father.

Now, the cold hard realities…

You have a motorcycle that is nearly 50 years old. No motorcycle was ever designed to have a service life that long. None.

This being said, you are looking at a lengthy, time consuming, and expensive restoration, if only to rideable condition. It will be a labor of love as you will invest significantly more money than the motorcycle will ever be worth. If it is close to your heart, then that is what matters.

If you are thinking you can spend $1000 and get a running motorcycle, stop now and wash it, wax it and park it in a corner of the den to look at and enjoy it for what it once was.

Realistically, if you complete the work yourself, you can expect to spend 4-5k on a bike like this to bring it back to road worthy condition. You are essentially looking at removing everything down to the frame and then carefully reassembling it back together, repairing and replacing as you go. Also understand that many necessary parts will be NO LONGER AVAILABLE or they will be rare and $$$$$. You will encounter frustration as you solve these issues and you must be willing to search the internet (literally the world) looking for some things. If you are not a patient person, this idea is not for you, I promise you!

However…

If you go into this with open eyes, a relaxed mind and a healthy dose of patience, and are willing to spread the costs of the required parts over a couple years, then you have a wonderful and achievable realistic goal.

If any of this makes you suddenly pause with shock and fear, stop and reassess your desire versus the realities. You need to be sober of mind before engaging in a project of this scope. If you are not prepared to go this distance, do not start the journey. You will spend money with nothing to show for it and if you just get her to “run”, in short order, you will likely destroy the engine, driveline, or other components that are forced into service when in fact, they are nowhere near running condition.

Your only other option is to hand it over to a professional to restore and then you can expect a 12-15k investment easily.

You still should take some quality photos and post them. Experienced individuals here could give you more specific helpful information and advice if we know what you have specifically and can see the condition. The saving grace may be the dry NV air has been your friend. Some things thrive in that environment, while others are deteriorated quicker by it.

Let’s see her!

I hope this helped you out. 👌👍🙏

PS: If you are REALLY REALLY REALLY LUCKY, and you have one of these, in unmolested condition, then you have hit the jackpot and all bets are off!

This is worth $$$$$ restored.

1971-1974 V7 Sport

14F01A03 1E99 48F0 A1B4 615734932D6C

This one below sold for $16,000 !

96F7DF47 2A7C 498A BDC7 0C5A127F1DE9

Last edited:
Welcome to the GT Forum. In honor of your Dad, and as outlined above, we need more info (photos are always most helpful). Hope to see you here again soon responding.
p.s. Motto: a short sentence or phrase chosen as encapsulating the beliefs or ideals guiding an individual, family, or institution. -- Moto: Motorbike. It's Moto Guzzi as printed on the tank. ;)

Oh yeah! Now THERE's a project. It's a long road ahead... but a great ride indeed.

View attachment 25230
Thanks for all the great advice everybody. My mechanical skills are are not the greatest. I'd say I'm more of a go-kart mechanic than anything. I can change the parts , simple repairs ect. I've done a motor / tranny swap ( never solo) . Never been further than the valves in anything except A 125 tao tao(chinese knockoff quad) that was frozen up. Complete success , my ol'lady puts around it. As far as the guzzi, that second picture is it except the motor look like the first pic.
Pop had 3 different guzzis I can remember a black 650?? El Dorado?? And a white one he gave to my oldest brother (now mine).And one in a crate in the garage.When my oldest brother passed , my dad, little brother and I all hopped in the truck and headed to Kansas. I ended up in the hospital leaving Dad and little Bro with all clean up. Anyway Bro claimed the the bike . And I just talked him out of it.
The bike has been sitting since '86 (last time it was registered).Fuel still in the tank. Dushed it with muratic acid 2 times and some stuff from harbor freight specifically for rusted tanks (worthless) $35 down the drain. 2 handfulls of cleaned gravel shook it for a couple days and a final acid flush and the thank is useable. Had to make a pepcock. Pulled both plugs and did the Marvel treatment, changed the oil. I couldnt locate a filter . Did the gearbox oil. Im about to see whats iin the back wheel . Looks like another place for gearoil.???? The battery compartment was full of corrosion and rust from the seat disintegrating. Cleaned all of that and was surprised to see the wiring doesn't look bad. In fact so far the tank has been the hardest. Everything else other than the seat. Which I think started when lil bro took it from Kansas and parked it and didn't look at it again

For about 5 years. To me it looks like maybe my older brother had been getting ready to go ; when he went.... Anyway the stuff in tank was still Kind of a liquid state. When I opened it 2 months ago. No way its from 86 , 2015 or 16 when he passed seems alot moreplausible to still be moist.
I've redone the fuel lines , made sure the motor is free ( spun it by hand), found a key that works the ignition. New fuel and air filters . The cap and rotor look good , plug wires not so much. I've got to get it inside because its now 111 in the shade that mean cleaning out a shed and setting up a cooler. As soon as I get that taken care of I'll post the pics. One last thing. I had to know... yes I tried to fire it up. Stupid I know. Anyway made sure everything is free ( throttle , clutch etc. ) Good clean gas. Put the battery from the mower in . Hooked it up. Turned the key. Saw unmarked indicater lights come on. Worked the throttle twice . Just like Mike (my big brother) used to.
Amazing what you can remember . W
when I was a freshman in high school. The last time I rode on that bike when Mike picked me up after football practice. He even slid back and let me drive . That was the day I became cool for the first time. Made me stop a block later and took over.
So yeah I DON'T CARE WHAT IT TAKES. THAT. BIKE. WILL. BE .RIDDEN. BY. ME.
Worked the throttle twice. Pushed the button. Thunk.
No fireworks no nothing. Just a little thunk. So I arced the celanoid . Not sure on the spelling sorry. And the starter kicks in ... real slow. Not enough amps. Thats where Im at. Thinking about a jump with my truck ...yes????? No????

Don't boost it! You'll cause more grief and expense. Get the correct battery. Take some time and work it through. Clean up all the starter circuit, grounds etc.

solenoid If you can't spell it, Google it.

Guzzis of that period had chrome plated cylinder bores, which are prone to flaking, especially after sitting for long periods of time. Even with your "Marvel treatment" I would not try to start the bike until you determine what cylinders you have. If they're the original chrome and you start it, then chrome flakes could go all throughout the engine and damage the crankshaft, bearings, oil pump, etc. Easiest way to tell what cylinders you have: remove a sparkplug, make sure the piston is down away from top dead center, insert a "pencil magnet" and touch the cylinder wall. Zero magnetic attraction = chrome, very slight = Nikasil, strong = iron liners.

Of course you can boost it from your car or truck , JUST don't have the vehicle running when
you do it . And you'd be using good jumper cables . Peter

Of course you can boost it from your car or truck , JUST don't have the vehicle running when
you do it . And you'd be using good jumper cables . Peter

If he doesn't check for chrome bores in the cylinder and they turn out to be chrome, starting the bike can lead to disaster. When the chrome flakes off it is a real issue.

Back