• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Where do the Vent Hoses Go ?

Supaflee

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My bike is a converted '85 V1000 ,SP11 - Lemans lookalike ( sooo raunchy ).
Now , it does not have an Air Box.
There are numerous hoses bundled together in the region of the top frame tube above the engine.
Occasionally , one or more spit out a drop or two of oil ,(usually after shes had a bit of a spirited ride ) yep you guessed it , the oil goes down the front of the engine ,,,YUK.
So my question , please go through the "VENT" hoses one by one and tell me where are they supposed to go to ?
Are they all neccessary ?
Im guessing some kind critter out there has exactly the same situation as me , where did you run the hoses so they dont make a mess ?
Remember I dont have an AIRBOX. ( just two 38mm Mikunis with a Hypersharger on each of them )
Thanks regards Supaflee

I'm not up on the SPII, but the lines either run from a collector box above the engine, or from the frame (used as a breather) to the air box. If you want to leave everything as-is, trace the hoses back up, and replace with a longer version that runs to the bottom of the bike. If you want to eliminate it, there is a breather tube on the top of the crankcase, that will feed other noted above, you can put a breather/filter at the top of that hose, but it will mist oil at constant/higher revs.

Thats interesting .
You mention in particular " will mist oil at constant higher revs ". Which is precisely when it does the odd mess with oil.
Because she'd had a Crank grind just before I bought it , I was reluctant to rev it over 3000RPM ,and the oiling mist was not appearant , but now , since shes done a 1000K's , I've been riding it using the upper range of revs as well .
I'll go and yank the tank off to see what the PO has done with the return hose which used to go from the top frame tube to the airbox. Thats the place I have the problem I think.
Thanks so much for your help.
Regards Supaflee

find a nice little bottle to run it into and drain it out once in a while. Some people get neat colored alloy ones and others use any small one thats lying around, not too snug fit in neck tuck it out of the way and jobs done ;)

There should be one big hose that is the main crankcase vent - I forget if it has a PCV valve in it. If it does, remove the valve. I also stuff as much stainless steel curly kates brillo pads into the frame - this increases the efficiency of the breather box which is really an air-oil separator.

Then there are two lines below the main crankcase vent - these go to the valve covers and are RETURN lines. They need to be hooked up.

The remaining line is the vent to atmosphere and it, logically, should be at the top most part of the frame. This line should have a PCV valve on it so that air can go to atmosphere but air can't enter. This stops mayonnaise in damp/cold climates (hot oily air from the engine meets cold wet air causing gunk). Some people stick a K&N type filter - this doesn't really solve the problem. Use a PCV valve from some 4 cylinder car from the 80s - a spring loaded one is best. If you can't find a spring loaded one make sure it is mounted so the valve closes by gravity.

It is not a bad idea to stick this line into a catch can as suggested - I use a Brio pop can ziptied to the frame for the italian touch.

The system on the square fins is pretty good - if any oil is coming out it means that either you overfilled the sump or your rings are bad/stuck. Given that it has nicasils it is probably stuck rings. Not a big deal - it takes an hour per side to dismantle and reassemble.

Ive just bought a breather collector from a Ducati ST4 996.It looks as thought its going to do the job very nicely .Ive only got to find somewhere to locate it now so it can do it's job. Thanks for all your input .
Regards Supaflee

Back