• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

where is the oil?

ipo

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi everyone, I just finished reading the post "Bellagio engine oil level" but I'm still confused. I have a 2007 Griso 1100 with a capacity of 3600cc (219 cu inches) of engine oil and this is what I did:

1. I checked the oil level with the dipstick and found it to be at the MIN mark.
2. Instead of topping it up I decided it was time to change it.
3. I drained the oil from the drain plug and by removing the oil filter.
4. After letting it drain for a good hour, I measured it to find just over 2 liters.
5. I replaced the oil filter and poured exactly 3600cc of new oil. I let it settle for 12 hours.
6. I checked the level with the dipstick and now it reads well (and I mean well) above the MAX mark.

I have not started the bike yet and I do not want to do it before reading your advice. Did I forget to drain from a diferent section? Was I really short 1600cc? Or is that oil still in the engine somewhere? If so, wouldn't it have overflowed since I would now have 5200cc?

I really need your help here; I have followed the official service manual and I have checked in 3 different documents to ensure that the Griso in fact accepts up to 3600cc. Can someone give me a hand?

ipo

Make sure the bike is sitting level,not on the side stand,and that you do not screw the dip stick in but only place touching the top of the threads.The griso does in fact hold 3.8 qts which is 3600 cc's.
regards Mell

I've done everything by the book including your advice on keeping the bike upright and not screwing in the dipstick. I used 2 different dipsticks, the one that came with the bike and one that I bought from one of you which is easier to read, and both indicate overflow.

I was just speaking with a friend of mine and he said that it may be like in his car where about a liter will always remain after drainage; however, I am under the impression that when the oil is drained from the bike, all of it is drained, isnt' it?

what pete said, its a lawn mower engine, it needs some oil, too much is bad, way too little is bad as well. if you fill it all the way, it will just blow it out through the airbox. these really are simple engines, give them some oil and a bit of gas and service them properly and they will run for years

Ok, so that's what I'll do, drain some of the new oil and go by the dipstick measurement. Thanks a lot everyone.

Did you start the motor after filling but before checking? Typically you should so that the oil filter is full and what not. I prefill the oil filter but if you did not and you did not start it first it would indicate over filled until some of it was pumped into the filter.
But mostly it sounds like you did not get all the oil out.

I was actually afraid to start the engine since the oil level was well above the MAX mark. What I did instead was to remove 800cc of oil and then began to add it back from a new bottle in 100cc increments until I got it to a reasonable level. I then started the engine for a minute or so to give the oil a chance to distribute itself within the engine. As I did so, the level kept dropping and I kept adding new oil in small increments to never let it go below the MIN mark.

By the time I was finished I was left with 250cc of oil remaining which means that the total amount I've added since day one is 3350cc. Now I think that I will probably have to add back most of the left-over oil once I take the bike for a spin.

You are right when you say that by not starting the bike I never gave the oil the chance to get into the oil filter and other sections of the engine. I just did not want to take the risk without understanding what was going on. I really appreciate everyone's help on this and I hope the post will be of use to other readers.

3.6L of oil in my Breva 1100 comes nearly 1/4inch above the dipstick mark on a cold engine on the centre stand. I've had to add a touch of oil twice over 10,000km to keep it there, and I've had only a drip out of the overflow tube. At the first 10,000km service, the oil level was between the marks and the dealer drained only 2L out of it and said it was low on oil.

I reckon it comes down to this: do you trust the bloke who did the oil quantity calculations for this engine or the bod who designed the location of the marks on the dipstick?!

my bellagio is a very different bike at 15k than it was even at 8 or 9k kms - I feel it runs more freely the longer I ride it...

This thread made me paranoid so I went and cold-checked my oil (I did an oil change a couple of months ago). Imagine my horror when it was off the bottom of the dipstick! I know that when warm itd have been fine, and I havent had any problems at all with the bike, but its when cold that the damage is caused. I mustnt have started/warmed/re-checked the level after it filled the oil filter or something

Anyway the point of this is that in my experience, if the oil is 1/4 up from bottom when cold, it is just below the top when hot. That might help you. Also, of course, some of the oil will fill the filter/engine system when the engine starts.

Back