Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Which kind of air to use in tyres.

Discussion in '24-7 Lounge' started by guzzigray, Oct 30, 2008.

1. guzzigray

guzzigray Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Threads are looking a bit thin on the ground so maybe we could start an oil thread or ask Pete Roper his opinion on timing gears. We'll be up and running in no time.

2. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

I told The Minister for Fun and Finance that she should change the air in her Nevada tyres before the next service - and I think she believed me for a nano second :unsure:

3. Holt

Holt High Miler GT Contributor

Honestly, over here you can have nitrogene filled instead of plain air at only $15 per tire......

4. NeroGuzzi

NeroGuzzi Cruisin' Guzzisti

Maybe someone can start fiddling with the Sacred Screw! That's guaranteed to stir the pot.

5. Lupo

Lupo Cruisin' Guzzisti

I don't like cold air as the tires feel twitchy. Warm is good but no way do I like a bunch of hot air:p

6. Wonder B

Wonder B Cruisin' Guzzisti

Holt wrote:
    That's what I did on mine (just as I also did on my car) and it's great. You don't have to check the tires as often as the nitrogene is much more stable and it doesn't change the pressure much when cold or hot.
    At my Euromaster station they did it for a a fraction of the price you paid... I believe both cost me less than $15.
    I really recommend that solution.

7. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

I like to use propane.
    If you need to spot a leak, just light a match.

8. Gary

Gary Cruisin' Guzzisti

I tend to stick to English air as it's more readily availiable in Derbyshire.
    For the purists though I can supply bottled Italian air for that special concours rebuild.

9. guzzi jon

guzzi jon High Miler GT Contributor

we changed the sacred screw on my griso, and, well, I guess it is sacred... sucker runs good, but I cannot get it to idle as smoothly as it used to, and it never idled smoothly... When they have a PCXXX for it, the world will be good, but above idle, it runs like stink... very smooth and quick and revs hard to redline...

As for air, I have been looking for the leakproof air, it seems hard to find, but works better than nitrogen.

10. Lupo

Lupo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Jon, you can make your own leak-proof air. It's easy and saves a ton of money. Just mix 2 parts air to 3 parts bubbles (2:3). I've been making my own for years now;)

11. Mike.C

Mike.C GT Reference

Actually I recon that southern hemisphere air is better than northern hemisphere air - it makes the bike go faster.

So anyone who wants some can Paypal to my account - going cheap at only $49.99 a litre + windage and delivery. Get in quick price can only be maintained while stocks last, new shipments will be at MUCH higher prices due to current financial meltdown.

12. Lupo

Lupo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Very cool Mike. I have a 110/90-18 and a 140/80-17. What would the volume (in litres) be at 33psi and 38psi respectively?

13. guzzirider

guzzirider Cruisin' Guzzisti

Home brewed methane is excellent- you know when you have a puncture from the smell.

But if you do get a puncture- no worries! Just pack a bottle of cabbage water and a plastic tube under your seat, drrink the cabbage water, wait 30 mins, drop your pants then inflate. If you manage to squeeze a few solids into the tube that will seal the puncture from within.

Back on the road again within 40 mins.

14. Holt

Holt High Miler GT Contributor

Wonder B wrote:
    I didn't pay anything. I've got compressed air in the shed next to my bike. ;)

15. contractor20

contractor20 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've been getting my air from the recyclers!! It's a lot cheaper and its good for the enviroment. Occaisionally you can get a few foreign bits in it, but all I do is strain it through a pair of old pantyhose and Bobs yer uncle. I've also got lots of old cooking oil from them and I redeploy the same pantyhose and pop it straight into the engine. Smells like an authentic Italion racing oil especially if you pop a little into the gas tank as an upper cylinder lube. No leaky gaskets like you get with them new fangled synfetic oils.

Kym the skinflint

16. radan2

radan2 Just got it firing!

Lupo wrote:
    Well, the election is over here in the US, so perhaps global warming will decrease and you will be safe from so much of it.B)

17. radan2

radan2 Just got it firing!

Mike.C wrote:
    Only in a clockwise direction.

If you are going anticlockwise, northern hemisphere air is better.:side:

18. RJVB

RJVB GT Reference

I only use natural air, (re)used to varying degrees. I've also got this nifty thing to kick it in with my right foot.

Wonder: what station is that? I might like to try nitrogen sometime — must be great for them bends B)

19. Wonder B

Wonder B Cruisin' Guzzisti

The nearest Euromaster (from Chantilly) is at the Zone Industrielle de St Maximin between Chantilly & Creil... (just 4 km away)
    But I'm sure there's one closer to you