• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Winter Work - what to do, if anything?

Campagman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
For the last 2 years of so I've been working away from home, meaning weekends are very short :( and I had no weekday evenings to use in the garage.............now that has changed and I've been back home since November :D .

The Stelvio has been off the road (untaxed) while I've been using the Honda Transalp, I've also brought home my recently aquired KTM400 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: which had to be part stripped to get into the back of the car to get it home.........this is my present project....full strip, powder coat the frame, clean and tidy up and rebuild. This is nearing completion :mrgreen: .

Also done some minor maintenance on the Honda..........which gets to the question.......I'd like to do some work on the Stelvio if no more that basic maintenance and simple mods.
So I have the oil to change, tappets to check, throttle cables to adjust (after reading one of Pete Ropers threads these a good 3-4 mm of play to take up). The bikes got the 'standard accessories such as fog lights, engine bars, pannier frames, charging lead.

There's a school of thought around 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' but having rediscovered the 'pleasure' :? of spending a few hours in the workshop/garage, even in the cold and into the late evening, I'd like to spend some time of the Stelvio ready for retaxing in the spring.
So after the oil, tappets, air filter, brake check, what else can I easily take off, investigate and put back even if just for gaining knowledge of what's there?

Seen some threads on the charcoal cannister (I guess under the air box, if its on UK bike at all) - is that worth removing?

I've been playing with a piece of freeware from a ducati forum that allows me to see the engine mapping, very interesting, don't know how far I'll take that opportunity as its getting little too technical.

Any other suggestions

Happy New Year

Attachments

• IMG_5516.JPG
    IMG_5516.JPG
    604.1 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_5556.JPG
    IMG_5556.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    693.5 KB · Views: 445
Leave the charcoal canister alone.It is an emmisions device and isn't hurting anything. Look for loose bolts,things rubbing,etc. and repair....
How do you like the TransAlp?
ps. I run nitrogen in my tires, it is worth it.

Bill Hagan said:
gstallons said:
ps. I run nitrogen in my tires, it is worth it.

How so?

Maybe he sales it.

:lol:

Campagman, how about--------------------------ride it? :whistle:

How about:
Add a cruise control.
Try to install a Norge widshield motor on it.

I run nitrogen because :#1 It contains no moisture,it does not expand/contract with temperature change. The pressure remains the same in winter and summer.#2 The nitrogen will not leak through rubber so the nitrogen will not leak through the tire/tube. #3 The tire temp and pressure remains the same throughout the day. #4 All MotoGP bikes run nitrogen in the tires.

gstallons said:
I run nitrogen because :#1 It contains no moisture,it does not expand/contract with temperature change. The pressure remains the same in winter and summer.#2 The nitrogen will not leak through rubber so the nitrogen will not leak through the tire/tube. #3 The tire temp and pressure remains the same throughout the day. #4 All MotoGP bikes run nitrogen in the tires.

I accept all of that (and some was news and interesting to me), but my interest was in your original, "I run nitrogen in my tires, it is worth it."

Given the assumed cost and certain PITA (from my perspective), cannot imagine that being "worth it" to me.

I have a compressor at the ready, check my TP obsessively ... which, btw, in my case, at least, leads to more leakage than I could stand if it were N.

Thanks, tho, and, of course, YMMV.

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
gstallons said:

I accept all of that (and some was news and interesting to me), but my interest was in your original, "I run nitrogen in my tires, it is worth it."

Given the assumed cost and certain PITA (from my perspective), cannot imagine that being "worth it" to me.

I have a compressor at the ready, check my TP obsessively ... which, btw, in my case, at least, leads to more leakage than I could stand if it were N.

Bill

I run a 78% nitrogen blend in my tires, and it works great. More available than the higher percentage, too!

Lannis

Lannis said:
I run a 78% nitrogen blend in my tires, and it works great. More available than the higher percentage, too!

Lannis

You guys have N supplies at your homes or what?

I am probably making more of this than necessary -- as I do with so many things; witness my maintenance stand melodrama elsewhere here -- but I just cannot figure out how it can be "worth it" to have to go somewhere to pay for fuNNy air. And, maybe I am the only one who manages to let air leave tires when I check 'em before I add to spec. OTOH, with a compressor, I may have just gotten sloppy with technique.

Be all of that as it may, what does "works great" really mean?

For a guy at my fighting weight who doesn't try to be Rossi (much ;) ), and able to keep MMA (Mere Mortal Air) at proper PSI in my tires, just missing the draw of this stuff.

I also know that I'd have been of the Old Flatulents extolling the killing power of the longbow over those unreliable and inaccurate firelocks. :laugh:

Bill

Lannis said:
Bill Hagan said:
gstallons said:

Bill

Lannis

I carry a 12 volt pump from Slime that puts 78% nitrogen in my tires.
It is worth it.

gstallons said:
The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen.

Unless, as it appears just now in my case, one is smoking something else.

OK, you got me, so smirk away you science geeks. :p

As I have said here and elsewhere before, I was asleep in high-school science class ... or looking at Marilyn Basham's legs ... and if not knowing that about N is all I missed, I don't regret either sleep or ogling. ;)

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
OK, you got me, so smirk away you science geeks. :p
Bill

...... and if you fill the tires up with Helium you can shave a few pound off the bike's weight. :lol: :lol:
just kidding

Campagman,

I just did my winter service last weekend. Oil change (engine and gear boxes), valve check, carb balance check, TPS check, new spark plugs, new air filter, changed fork oil, and pumped in new brake fluid.

Then I installed my new high dollar Stucci Luigi auxillary tank.

Just shy of 24,000 mi.

Keith

Back