• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Won't start without jumper cables?

FrostedFlake

Just got it firing!
2009 with 2800 miles, returning from a trip across neighboring state, stopped after the first 100 miles to remove jacket and get a drink. Hit the starter button and got "clunk" instead of whirring starter or "click-click-click" of low battery. Checked all the battery/starter wires and fuses, lights and instruments were coming on, horn honked, finally got a passer-by to try and jump start and it fired right up, ran fine. Got to the next town and needed gas, filled up and then - clunk. Got another jump, made it home without stopping again, was dark but headlights and all instrumentation worked. Pulled up to my driveway and cut it off, immediately tried again and - clunk. Pulled the battery the next day and took it by a friend's shop, tester showed all good and completely charged.

Called my "local" dealer, 350 miles away, only to find out that they had dropped the Guzzi brand in the last month. So much for all that "buy it here, we'll take care of you" bit. They'd still do oil changes, though. :? Called another dealer who said sure, bring it in, but it doesn't sound like the starter. Really? What else could it be? They'd have to check, he said.

I'd love to avoid hauling it that far if it's something simple I'm overlooking. I'm also supposed to ride it up to Indianapolis at the end of the month for the Moto GP, would sure hate to miss that trip. Any ideas or suggestions on what to check? Thanks in advance.

Plenty of "no start" issues/resolutions posted in the Breva/Norge/Sport section, but essentially, be sure the ground strap from the battery to under the starter cover is tight and check the fuses. Report back.

Too many possibilities.

Could be a poor battery connection.
A poor ground connection as Todd pointed out.
A poor positive connection at the battery.
A weak battery.
A weak starter.
I just rewired a Norge that was only getting about 7 volts at the starter solenoid because of the convoluted path the start line takes. The Stelvio may be as bad. The Norge wouldn't start when hot, but appeared to be good cold.

Well, I reinstalled the battery, cleaned the cables and made sure both were good and tight. The negative had a little corrosion, nothing bad, and the positive was clean as a whistle. Hit the starter and it fired right up. That should have made me happy, but I wondered if sitting cold in the garage was a good test - it was 95 going across New Mexico when it acted up before. Then again, it sat for a good hour while I was waiting for a jump, so it definitely had time to cool down. I went ahead and checked and retightened the ground and starter wires, didn't seem loose but could have been a smidgen.

I read all the Breva/Norge/Sport posts and wonder if I may need the same rewiring Wayne suggested, but guess I'll just run it awhile and see how it goes. I'd be curious to know if any other Stelvios have had to go that route? Hopefully, it was just something not making a good contact. Thanks for the advice, I'll post back if I have any more issues.

Did you also clean and lubbe the earth strap mount on the starter motor cover end as suggested?
Yes, I cleaned it - didn't lube it. Cleaned the the starter cables and made sure they were tight as well.
It started fine again this morning, so I'm going to continue to ride and hope that if it is going to act up, it does so before I head out cross country at the end of the month.

I went out to run an errand at lunch time a few weeks ago and found no start. All had been normal up to 5 hours before. When I hit the starter, I got a clunk and some weird action from the dash. Afterwards, nothing. Found slight dampness and corrosion on the positive battery terminal. Cleaned it up with a rag and toolkit screwdriver and all was well. I took it apart the following weekend at home and cleaned with soda, then coated with terminal stuff after reassembly.

kmartin said:
I went out to run an errand at lunch time a few weeks ago and found no start. All had been normal up to 5 hours before. When I hit the starter, I got a clunk and some weird action from the dash. Afterwards, nothing. Found slight dampness and corrosion on the positive battery terminal. Cleaned it up with a rag and toolkit screwdriver and all was well. I took it apart the following weekend at home and cleaned with soda, then coated with terminal stuff after reassembly.

I've had a couple of no start conditions, each time I broke out the Mickey Mouse screw driver and tightened up the cables on the battery. Finally I got off my lazy a$$ and replaced the fasteners on the battery with longer bolts with a flat and lock washer. That's been eight months ago and I have never had a problem since.

When I first got the bike the battery terminals were connected on the outer sides of the battery (Not like the picture attached)

So when you would put the Driver saddle in position (Clamp it to the frame) was awfully close to the cables.
Plus in my case the the bracket holding the battery was non existant. (Vibration would toss the bugger from side to side)

It had already started eating the cable insulation on one side.
I was lucky I caught it in time before any damage occured!!!!

Attachments

• StelvBattTerms.jpg
    StelvBattTerms.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 519
Back