• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Won't start

lmrn1

Tuned and Synch'ed
So bike been standing for a week or so, went out to start it today started ok, decided to have a fiddle and change the owner code, no probs there. Went to start it up and no go, sweeps through the checks and get the ABS light and red triangle on the dash, no green light. Also get the ECU and unplugged symbol aswell. Have had a read through the forum and have put the bike on optimate, was reading 11.4-5 on the battery voltage.

Haven't touched anything else, other than take the plastic cover off by the key ignition to have a look to put the tomtom on. Have been having error code for lambda sensor coming on and waiting for garage to contact me to take it in and sort that, think they are waiting for the part.

I only want to ride it with error codes coming up, love the bike but all this makes me think I have got a lemon and should just take it back. I have got a 12 month warranty on it but thats not the point

Check your ground point behind the starter cover. Also make sure battery connections are clean and tight. If those items don't correct the problem, inspect the plugs to the ECU for any damage or corrosion.

lmrn1 said:
Thanks for the reply. From what I can see everything is ok.

You won't be able to see any corrosion behind the ground cable, or on the connection surfaces of the battery and cables. Remove them, clean them and then see what happens.

Have cleaned all the terminals as suggested. I take it the starter connection is screwed in with the top bolt on the starter motor cover?? Have checked battery with multi and it reads 13.1. Still the same with the broken ecu symbol. Any other suggestions?

Help

I recently got the ECU unplugged symbol on the bash and starting problems, I suspected the side stand switch so I gave it a good squirt with WD-40 up inside the plunger and all has been ok after that, maybe worth a try.
Ray

Thanks Ray tried that and nothing still. Have noticed that the wire from the mode button seems to have got longer how ever all is functioning on it still. Have tried to trace wire and its plugged in. Can't say if it was like that before.

Still no joy so phone call tomorrow to the garage to have it sorted. They can scratch head and fix under the warranty. No a happy bunny at all :evil:

Hey, here's a longshot...but worth a try.

In this post,

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/202/8823.html

Sandy's bike wouldn't start either. Similar symptoms to yours. She found out what was wrong with hers...

"Turns out there was a bad connection on the neutral sensor on top of the gearbox at the rear of the gearbox.
Totally unrelated to where I was working.
A complete coincidence."

Check it out. It may help! :)

Good Luck!

Just got to the bottom of it. It was a 15amp fuse (doooh only checked the ecu fuse) that feeds the lambda sensor which needs changing and awaiting it to arrive from Italy.

Need to get some spare fuses I thinks just in case.

Thanks for everyones help

Well same happened again tonight, went to start and the usual ecu plug thing came up. Blow 15 amp fuse again. Changed fuse, back to normal other than code 21 on ecu lambda sensor coming up. Waiting for new sensor to come from Italy via garage. Could a faulty one be the cause of the fuse blowing??

Ta

lmrn1 said:
Well same happened again tonight, went to start and the usual ecu plug thing came up. Blow 15 amp fuse again. Changed fuse, back to normal other than code 21 on ecu lambda sensor coming up. Waiting for new sensor to come from Italy via garage. Could a faulty one be the cause of the fuse blowing??

Ta

If the heating element of the sensor has a short it would. Then everything the main injection relay powers would be dead.

And........it continues, rode bike to work this morning ... ran fine, went out to start on way home, turned key and smoke starts coming out, by the starter, wasn't turned over. Smell of burning wire. Not a happy chappie at all. Why me, getting grief off the other half saying send it back, you have only ridden it a few times and now this, been off the road more than on.... :evil:

Smoke isn't good. Is it coming from the ground point? She isn't save to ride this way. What is your dealer telling you? Are you still under warranty?

It looks like it came from behind the cover to the starter motor so I think so. I have only had it 2 months and its spent more time off the road than on with oil pressure sensor and the rain. It has a 12 month warranty on it so back to them tomorrow. I may even say forget it I'm not having the bike back. I can see this being very expensive for them especially if the loom has gone and it also means I have no bike whilst it is fixed.

lmrn1 said:
It looks like it came from behind the cover to the starter motor so I think so. I have only had it 2 months and its spent more time off the road than on with oil pressure sensor and the rain. It has a 12 month warranty on it so back to them tomorrow. I may even say forget it I'm not having the bike back. I can see this being very expensive for them especially if the loom has gone and it also means I have no bike whilst it is fixed.

Only positive thing about the smoke location is that is where the connector and harness is located for the Lambda sensor. If that is the one that was bad, it could be really bad now. It may be a simpler fix than you are anticipating.

Do have you dealer check that ground point. It is a know problem area.

I hope it is just that, I did have a look at that and it didn't look burnt out but didn't have a really good look. Fingers crossed that they can sort it. the part has been on order for 3 weeks and not turned up yet. These things are sent to try us. thanks for your help John

Back