• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

woof

Sorry to hear about the crash - but really glad you are OK. I had a small crash while test riding mountain bikes this weekend, so I can relate to discovering sore spots after the fact. Fortunatley, I did not hurt the MTB so I don't owe the dealer. I hit a pothole - and the pot hole won.

Sigh.

You won't believe this.

I don't.

And yet I'll have to accept it.

Had the fairing scotched up quite nicely, she seemed to be running fine, so I decided to go to my gf's place tonight. You know, the place where they probably have 1 stray dog less.

Uneventful ride, apart from a cold and stiff eastern wind. And I was almost there. Just that one last descending right-hander where you're supposed to be at 50km/h maximum. I used to, until I found out it could be taken at 60 at least. Never tried more, and tonight I was at about 50 ... but I either hit the solid white line, or some slippery patch. Or maybe there *was* something with the front after all.

I felt the front wheel slide away under me, not very fast at first, so I had ample time to yell

NO, NOT A G A I N

Well yes. Other side this time. So that'll 1 complete fairing, please. And a right foot rest. And a new front brake handle (it's gone, haven't yet checked where it broke off), end weight and handle bar. And a new right pannier. No idea about the tank. CARC seems untouched, engine too.

The red triangle is lit though, but didn't see any oil seepage. I do remember that the lights remained on for a few seconds after she came to a stop, suggesting that the tilt sensor didn't kill the engine immediately, which probably means not fast enough. The engine starts though - discovered that by accident pushing the bike - and sounds OK ... so I got on, and limped the last couple of hundred meters to her place, and up the slope where I usually park.

Me - nothing. Again. Just another concussion under my watch (I should stop wearing one while riding...), just next to the old one.

Well, yes. Self-esteem seriously dinked right now. Down twice in less than 2 weeks. If a car hadn't turned and stopped to offer help, I'd maybe still be sitting there, crying. Bike even more torn up, will have to be towed home to my dealer. Which sucks the most maybe, I can't imagine the repair would be that much more expensive now that the other half of the fairing has to be replaced too, panniers aren't cheap but I just *might* decide to take the opportunity to go H&B. Slightly worried about that error light, though, hope that doesn't mean the whole bike has to come apart because some delicate part was too badly shaken when the bike came down!

Time for something to help me sleep ;-(

RJVB wrote:
NO, NOT A G A I N... Well yes. Other side this time.
icon_doh.gif

:blink: -- No worries René... we've all been there one time or another. I totaled my (then) new '87 600 Honda Hurricane the day I put it back together from a minor tip-over... and I still have many scars to remind me, so lucky you.. Don't fret, everything will be back to "normal" by the time the warmer weather arrives.

The warning light is likely sensor related to a part missing, and not likely motor damage, even if it ran for a few seconds on it's side. The tip-over switch likely did it's job. Have a few nice drinks to put it out of your mind, and chalk it up as a story you get to laugh about a few years from now.

Wish you the best with the insurance company, and heal up fast... is your better half more then compassionate/understanding?

Oh deary deary me, we feel for you mate. But really, where's the pic? :dry:

I second Todd's analysis of the tip over switch, when I tipped the Breva on "that track" at christmas I had to lean down and kill the engine as the bike was sitting on the pannier and probably still a bit too upright for it to activate - but still rode another 500ks home no worries.

Sorry to hear you crashed again Rene. :(
Maybe your girlfriend should move to a place where they don't keep pets and roads with no lines?
Or maybe you start living together.....:huh: :huh:

Anyway good luck with the recovery of your Norge. Dolf.

Ooops!

haven't read this thread before..
I'm really sorry to hear this, René!

Bitumen repairs, white lines, spilled diesel and drain covers are god's revenge to the motorcyclist daring to drive in the wet!

We were just discussing your plight, and Sal said that it's lucky it happened before the repairs to the other side were effected - gotta look on the bright side!

and I recon you've already got 2 good girlfiends, another one is unnecessary - if Anne doesn't ban you from riding after this, she is definitely a friend, and the Norge did her best and if she lets you back on, then she is a good friend as well - and anyway two heads are better than one....

No, I don't think so... but maybe indeed to go live somewhere else.

Or to get me a car :S

Dolf, there *is* a white line there. I don't know about the Netherlands, but here they're infamous for being slippery here.

Having gone over the whole trip this night, I'm really furious with myself. I think I've been pushing myself a bit too much, probably because I had the idea to check the steering for effects of the previous crash. Yet I wasn't going faster than I usually do in the turn (which I've taken countless times). Spill of bad luck, some over-confidence partly due to a combination of fatigue and relief that the steering seemed perfectly normal, leaning her over too abruptly maybe, something on/with the tarmac (no lighting there, so impossible to tell ... or to see where you're going) ... I wish I were a bit more certain about what I'd done wrong because now I feel like after dark I should be taking any curve at 40-ish, keeping the bike as upright as possible :S

Todd, please don't talk about totalling :p Given how little time I've been riding and the amount of money I already threw at that, such a thing would mean end-of-story for me and would even cause me serious problems trying to get a car insurance!

Just came across this thread...
gee - what to say??
hmmmm on the positive side you seem to very skilled at minimizing injury from falls! ;)

Wish you all the best with repairs to both bike and your pride - and hope you can get it all sorted out by the warmer weather.

Nick

Thx for the words, Mike.

You've been down at least once in a similar way, no? No permanent effects on the bike, it seems..
Remember what speed you were going at, and would you care to repeat some of the details (they were on the old board, no)?

Erm, Nick ... yes, I think I am (touching wood now).

There are few falls I didn't practice on my bicycle.

Hmm don't remind me! But you are absolutely right, no permanent effects on the bike except those that I couldn't be bothered to fix - a few paint scratches on the forks. But a bike is for riding, a few scars show you use it as it is intended.

The gory details are indeedy on the old board HERE

I don't see how fast you were going... Slower than I was, probably?

I don't care about scars. I care about unseen damage, I'm not 100% sure yesterday's mishap isn't (partly) due to the previous crash. Given how much the right handlebar is bent, the steering stop (and thence the trip head and/or the frame) must have taken part of the brunt, even if the bending of the bar of course absorbed a lot of the force.

sorry to hear about your flop onto the tarmac. It doesn't surprise me when you say you have taken that corner many times with no problem, but this time the white line got you. It may have something to do with riding in the dark. I find corners come up quicker then in the day time because you can't see them from afar. This makes for more sudden moves which can result in what happened to you. I love night riding but I tend to keep the speed down for the unexpected. Good luck with getting your bike back together, I hope you have no problem with getting the parts.

Wow.

Make that a double.

VERY sorry to see this second fall, especially as I had not made time to chime in with sympathies on the first.

I have visited the pavement several times, most recently 6 years ago, and I can say with certainty that it's easier when one is younger. Yikes!

What Todd and others have said on the engine. Think it most unlikely you have a serious motor issue.

You have many friends around this blue ball who wish you well, so lean on us all for whatever.

Bill

OUCH! I'm sure your spill hurts more than just physically:(

If any consolation... although I was fortunate enough to ride out of it... I had a nasty slide on the white paint this year (crosswalk stripes at an intersection). It was wet out and the white striping allowed my tire to break loose. A month later, I observed the painters applying fresh paint in the neighborhood... and then pouring a powdered reflective of some sort on the wet paint:eek:hmy: (possibly glass reflective beads?). No wonder they get so slick:blush:

Good luck going forward Rene`.
Remember, an accident is just that

2 accidents in 2 weeks time is a bit more than "just that", no?

Noel, you're absolutely right, and usually I do that if not only because bike lights don't really do a good job of showing where you're going in a turn. This particular right-hander however has a speed limit sign just before the entrance, which usually is really a safe speed to take it. I may have to reconsider that - we passed the spot by car today, and I saw that the bitumen is indeed in a bad enough shape (close to the centre of the road exactly where one would pass taking the curve according to the rules, and right next to the white line) to explain why I lost it.

Not sure I'll put another Roadsmart on the front, though.

For those who want ... pics here

(coming back from a bit of shopping in Meaux, a rather big and fat boar crossed the road in front of us, in the 1st set of "nice" twisties... far enough to not represent a danger, close enough to give a good scare!)

RJVB wrote:
I don't see how fast you were going... Slower than I was, probably?

Well I was trying to stop at the time, and things happened pretty fast as I am sure you can imagine. I would guess that by the time we high sided and hit the deck I would have been doing a bit less than 25km/hr maybe.

The bike was stopped by coming to rest under a guard rail, might have been a good thing and stopped a lot of sliding rash, and it definitely prevented the bike ending down in the ravine, where we would have needed a crane or winches to get it out...

Had a look at your pics - hmmmmm :(

Back