• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wrapped Exhausts

The heat stays IN the exhaust pipe....... You decide if that is beneficial or not.

Great if you want to disguise your Guzzi to look like a Harley "Bobber", but why would you do that?

Or if you're crouched down beside the bike working on it and you start to topple backwards, what part of the bike do you grab first? Done that....but only once!

The theory, at least in part, is that heat is energy (it is) and that wrapping the exhaust pipe keeps that energy in the exhaust so that whatever tuning has been done in regards to designing the pipe will have the greatest effect.
If you do that to a street bike, especially a 2 valve Guzzi, I am pretty sure you would not notice a performance benefit. But the heat kept in the exhaust can take its toll on the metal the pipe is made from. Stainless should be fine but lower grade steels can disintegrate.
If you like the looks then go ahead. But I have only done that (wrapping the pipe) for a reason better then looks. Like keeping the pipe from burning my leg.

Keeping the gas as hot as possible means greater density and pressure and hence it will travel more quickly wich in turn will effect greater scavenge. In real terms for yer average motor it willproduce a similar effect to indexing spark plugs. ie, three fifths of bugger all.

Pete

The downside I've heard is that water can get in (assuming you leave your bike out in the rain - or you wash it) and can cause corrosion. If you do it, the recommended way is to wrap from the back to the front, so the wrap overlaps sort of like shingles on a roof and water will tend to run off better instead of seeping in.

gstallons said:
If it is stainles steel it will not corrode......

There are over 150 grades of stainless steel and some are more prone to corrosion than others. Generally, the higher the chromium content, the less likely the steel will rust. However, over time, rust can and will develop on stainless steel.

Yes, stainless is called stainLESS, not stainfree.
But keep in mind that when the motor is running the pipe is HOT. Unless it gets wet when it is parked it is not a big issue. At least not in my experience. Maybe if the bike is left outside and not ridden much it could be. But the fiberglass wrap does not readily absorb water, and if you apply the silicone protective coating to the wrap it will actually repel water. But the heat will eat lesser metals. If you like the look you can do it as long as your pipe is stainless. Or you could have the pipe coated with one of the many heat coatings, an option I prefer for cosmetic reasons. To each their own.

I like my bluing pipes :woohoo: :lol: I am a wrap free guzzist :twisted:-------------------------------->

I like exhausts with a ceramic coating which:
1) Keeps the heat inside the pipe;
2) Stops the pipe from blueing;
3) Looks so much better than the scruffy, wrapped look.

The pipes can be coated inside and out which prevents corrosion and the stuff comes in a chrome-look silver and in satin black.

pete roper said:
Keeping the gas as hot as possible means greater density
????Not less density??? Hot air balloons don't scoot along the ground. :p I don't know the physics of the of the advantage of the hotter exhaust gas but it may be that the energy used to push out the gas past the tail pipe is reduced by the minimized mass of the gas occupying the exhaust system volume. In other words; less gas exits per stroke. If wrapping is effective, then a carbon fiber muffler would have an advantage over metal mufflers.

One advantage you won't gain is a cooler engine compartment like in a hot rod.

A carbon muffler is too far down stream in most cases to make a difference. But wrapping the HEADER pipes can keep the exhaust gas temp up. That keeps more energy (heat) in the gases, which keeps the velocity of the exhaust up. As the gases cool they slow down. Keeping the heat in the gases keeps the velocity up. That allows you to utilize exhaust tuning to a higher degree. But wrapping the headers in itself does not gain you anything on a motorcycle. You must use it in conjunction with an exhaust system that uses the exhaust pulses to help the engine breath. The increase, if any, in performance would likely be so small on a Guzzi that it is hard to measure with out a very different exhaust system. A stepped header pipe and merge collector coupled with a cam that betters makes use of overlap would be a good start. The principle is sound and in the right application can improve power. On a Guzzi it is most likely window dressing.

In an attempt to better gauge changes in exh temps on Porco Rosso, I've installed the "test headers" and wrapped them.

Wrappedsm.jpg

I am using an EV04 data logging system with sensors about 4" or so from the head ports. This is as close as I can get them and still retain manageability of mounting nut etc.

I set the bike up for street use (one of the niceaties of running Production class), registered, insured etc. It is NOT a street bike and very dangerous but I can now run it for miles and test changes in jetting, tuning etc.

Just need to work out how to get 110 Octaine for less than $12 / gallon.

Never thought I'd be a wrapper.

Alex

GuzziMoto said:
A carbon muffler is too far down stream in most cases to make a difference.
So the condensing gasses in the muffler don't affect the following gasses. Makes sense if the velocity is only critical at the header.

The crafstman who just developed my system told me ceramic coating for motorcycles is purely for asthetics.
Its main benefit is to reduce under hood temps in turbo cars or old muscle cars that don't have cold air induction systems.

When his systems were being used by Australia's top superbike team, they dyno tested back to back with standard paint finish and there was no performance improvement with ceramic coating.

Back