• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wrist pain....again... :(

dabrucru

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Today i went for a ride with my racer. I m noticing that when i get stuck in traffic i get this pain from my thumb to the back of my hand...could it be that my tendons are getting used yo the stress after almost 10 years of not using a bike? Or maybe i need to switch from clip ons to flat bar? Has any one fitted a flat bar on a racer? I love the clip ons and i think the problem is my wrist not the bike.

Are your controls adjusted so that in a seated position, hands on the controls, fingers draped on the levers, you can draw a straight line through your forearms, wrists and fingers. If not, loosen the screws securing the controls and rotate them to get that alignment.

Also, you might be bearing your upper body weight on your arms. You must relax your upper body and grip the tank with your knees. Adopt the Master Yoda position to stop that behaviour and you should find the pain subsides.

Are your controls adjusted so that in a seated position, hands on the controls, fingers draped on the levers, you can draw a straight line through your forearms, wrists and fingers. If not, loosen the screws securing the controls and rotate them to get that alignment.

Also, you might be bearing your upper body weight on your arms. You must relax your upper body and grip the tank with your knees. Adopt the Master Yoda position to stop that behaviour and you should find the pain subsides.
I tried to put the clutch lever down but its already to the limit. There s a switch (?) that touches the bars si i cant move it more down

I had an old 74 850T awhile back. The stock bars were in the "middle" for comfort, they were not high enough or not low enough & caused the same pain you are speaking of. I tried a set of clip ons that made it worse then I tried a set of drag bars that had a slight bend. I had to play with the rotation and handle positions but eventually got it right.

I have no idea if your cables are long enough to go with wider bars or if you would be happy with the look but I often rode that old T 300 miles in a day.

I guess I have to ask this... Have you ever fallen on your hand(s) and bent them back? I did ten years ago and that's about how long it took for the wrist to collapse as the ligaments continued shredding. At this point, I've sold all my biikes that had clipons because I can't put any pressure on my left hand. It looks as though my sidecar riding is at risk as well since I had to have three bones removed from my left hand last year. It's worth some piece of mind to have a hand-doctor or someone similar do an x-ray if your hand is hurting a lot just to make sure you're not going down the same path that I just did. FWIW, it's called SLAC (scaphoid-lunate advanced collapse) and it sucks. Mightily.

I can chime in on this as it relates to cycling and basic geometry/ergonomics. I believe someone mentioned about the angle of the levers. That would be the first adjustment I'd make. Ensure when in a riding position, your fingers are in line with the rest of your arm when grasping the lever. You could also change the style of handlebar and/or make minor adjustments of rotating it upwards or downwards. Lastly, try using your core muscles to support the majority of your weight rather than using your hands.

Thank you all for your replies...it seems that is the middle finger that hurts and the legament that is attached to it...i m trying not to strain it a lot.

If you're experiencing isolated pain, there you may have strained the ligament or anyone one of the many bones within the wrist itself. Geometry adjustments generally (but not limited) help when you have an overall ache in the wrist, hands and forearm. Get it checked out by a doctor to confirm that everything is okay. Once cleared, allow it to heal (in the event that it is strained), then fiddle around with the geometry of the handlebars and make an attempt to support the majority of your bodyweight with your core muscles versus using your hands to prop yourself up.

Just some personal experience with wrist / hand pain.

About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with the old "Carpal Tunnel". There were times when I just dropped things especially with the left hand, there was tingling in the fingers, what appeared to be a loss of circulation to the fingers, pain in the wrist & hands. The docs wanted me to have the operation done but I was introduced to a massage therapist & gave her a try.

She determined that I had some trapped nerves under the left scapula & would actually lift the dang thing up & move the bundle of nerves out. Immediate relief but it took me some time to re-train old habits that kept that bundle of wires from getting pinched. Part of it was adjusting riding position & of course lifting things differently & even changing the way I slept.

Thanks for the note and I guess I'll have to track down another Massage therapist.

It's been a while since the last massage that made me so sick I thought I was going to hurl in his office.

So far the best was a big Blond woman. I swear she was taking the "meat off the bone" but I always walked out feeling great. as opposed to coming in hunched over and decrepit.

Hi guys my wrist seems to have adjusted to the clutch...will see ...thanks for all the advices

Back