• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8v head gasket failure

NCGuzziDave

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hi all. Purchased a 2012 Norge 8v about 8 weeks ago. 13000 miles, no service history, but seemed to be running well and is a pleasure to ride. I was out running errands and while cruising at about 65mph steady suddenly heard a strange noise accompanied by a power loss and huge billowing clouds of smoke. Engine still running so I pulled off and had it flat bedded home. Pulled the body work and I find wetness from about the exhaust port back (left side only). Never had any warning lights, and oil is still 3/4 of the way up the OK section of the dipstick. I haven’t run a compression check. Seems like (I hope) a blown head gasket. Does this seem likely to experts here? If so, should I have any work done to the head, or just install new gaskets?
Thanks for any help

Sorry to hear that. A blown head gasket is rare but possible. Perhaps due to lack of use. I'll let the pros comment further.
The oil is best kept around the 1/2 mark. Over filling causes oil to be ingested into the airbox.

I would pull off fuel tank & inspect all the hoses & lines. 8V are not big on blowing head gaskets but it could happen.
Find out if your motor has been rollerized then proceed. Could be part of flat tappet or not.
There is a few things on LH side. Breather plate on front cover, oil pressure switch, ignition timing sensor.all could leak oil. No codes in dash may indicate a mechanical failure or anomaly somewhere..
Check valve gap, look at roller lifter or not.

Instead of looking 4 a zebra, try the common stuff first.

Open the airbox and verify that you don’t have a puddle of oil sitting in the bottom which would get sucked in the intake.

Open the valve cover on that side and verify the valve clearances. I bought a 1200 Sport that had the adjusting nut so tight, it snapped the adjuster in half and was rattling around in the valve cover.

Pull the spark plug and examine it.

I would not proceed to an assumption that you have a head gasket failure. I’ve never seen one yet and I do not believe that is your issue.

Hard to say until you do a compression check. Also pictures of the effected area would help. Also pictures with the valve cover off to confirm if you have a rollerized 8 valve or not. 2012 was the change over year.

I wrote that guide Todd links to.

Although I think it is a good read and worth the time, I will cut to the chase and have you identify for yourself, if your motorcycle falls after this: If it does, then the flat tappet issue would not apply to you. You would have a factory roller engine and almost certainly it would not have anything to do with your reported symptoms.

According to Piaggio, motorcycles produced after these specific Serial Numbers / Production Dates, have the implemented design change valve train, and are "roller" engines. “

Model - Engine Designation - Last 5 Digits of Serial Number - Date of Production

Stelvio - AC - After AC12596 - 03/12/2012
Griso - A8 - After 13524 - 04/12/2012
Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012

Is there a difference. I have no idea what you mean. Roller from the factory, rollerized is done later?
I still consider it lucky!

No offense intended.

Words have meanings. I was just trying to maintain Moto Guzzi’s vernacular with regard to this issue.

From the guide I wrote that GTM listed above:

“Now, so you will understand the nomenclature used here:

• All 1200 8V engines manufactured before the implemented design change, are called "flat tappet"engines while all 1200 8V engines manufactured after the implemented design change, are called "roller"engines. This term relates to the type of valvetrain that the particular engine has in it which I will explain in a moment.

• Furthermore, engines with the implemented design change come in two varieties, "rollerized" engines (an engine which has been updated with the kit to repair the defective design), and "factory roller" engines (indicating an engine which was produced at the Moto Guzzi factory after the implemented design change).

• As you might expect, "factory roller" engines have no problem at all.”

I wrote that guide Todd links to.

Although I think it is a good read and worth the time, I will cut to the chase and have you identify for yourself, if your motorcycle falls after this: If it does, then the flat tappet issue would not apply to you. You would have a factory roller engine and almost certainly it would not have anything to do with your reported symptoms.

According to Piaggio, motorcycles produced after these specific Serial Numbers / Production Dates, have the implemented design change valve train, and are "roller" engines. “

Model - Engine Designation - Last 5 Digits of Serial Number - Date of Production

Stelvio - AC - After AC12596 - 03/12/2012
Griso - A8 - After 13524 - 04/12/2012
Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012
Thanks for the info. My Norge is 12188, so still in the danger zone. I’ve not pulled the valve covers yet

New dumb question - since I don’t want to break anything. How does the spark plug wire guard come off of the valve cover. I tried prying lightly and that didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. I did pull the valve cover with the spark plug wire still covered and took a picture, but I’m not sure I’m close enough to make a determination though my suspicion is “non-rollerized”

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
Gently lift up the little Moto Guzzi logo. It has locking taps and the upper and lower sides. Just be gently lifting it up with a tiny screwdriver. That little piece of plastic is fragile and obscenely expensive .

Underneath is a hex head that hide the plug wire cover.

Before replacing it, I gently warm the piece with a hairdryer and very gently press those locking tabs apart from each other to increase the snugness of the locking tabs. Gentle touch is required here!

IMG 3423

Last edited:
Latest update, finally got it diagnosed. The bike dropped a valve! Major damage to head cylinder and piston, and I’m having difficulty finding replacement parts.

Are you using an authorized Moto Guzzi repair facility? As far as I am aware, all parts necessary to perform a top end repair, are available.

The problem will be if you can obtain a rollerization kit for your bike.

Have you checked in the STORE here? GTM can get any part you need and may very well have what you need in stock.

Send inquiries to: Sales@GTMotoCycles.com

Back