Heated Grip Connections? Pics 2007 Breva 1100

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by SpeedwayRN, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SpeedwayRN

SpeedwayRN Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Confirming these are the connections for the heated grips correct? Anyone know if there is any difference? left vs right? I still have the tank off so I can't test it while its running. I will most likely make extensions and put the tank back on so I can measure the output with the multimeter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. ohiorider

ohiorider Cruisin' Guzzisti

I asked a similar question a while back on Wild Guzzi and received a couple of good responses that I (think) I copied and pasted into a file document. I'll take a look and if there, I'll copy and paste it here. Pure plagiarism on my part!
    UPDATE - according to the info below, you may see no voltage at these plugs, unless they've been toggled by a momentary switch.

Bob

Found it ....... written by "Fred". Maybe this'll give you the info you're after.

I installed hot-grips on my 06 Breva 1100, and I just wanted to let other Breva owners know how easy it is to mate aftermarket grips to the vehicles computer control. The wiring is under the front right part of the tank. You don't need to remove the tank just loosen and lift up the front. You'll see three plugs, two small ones with blue wires and one a little bigger with an orange wire. Wire the grips to the two small plugs, polarity is not important, and a small momentary contact push button to the larger one. Again, polarity doesn't matter. I mounted the button in one of the little round plugs next to the hazard switch. Push and hold to turn on, push to toggle heat settings, and push and hold to turn off. The little icon even comes on the dash and this is one third the price of the oem accessory grips!
  3. SpeedwayRN

And is this for the bikes that have the switch on the left hand switch cluster?
  4. Rafael

Rafael GT Famiglia

The '06 B11 has a heat control switch between the dash and the tank where the '07 B11 doesn't. Since the '07 B11 already has the switch built-in like the Norge then you just need to buy the MG heated grips or aftermarket units and replace the connectors to match the bike.
  5. SpeedwayRN

So no need for the momentary switch? ..... Cool!
  6. ohiorider

I asked for and received good info from this forum and WG regarding how to wire aftermarket heated grips and the off/on switch on my 1200 Sport. I'd like to be able to purchase an inexpensive set of heaters that wrap around the bar under the stock grips, and install the mating two-pin plugs on the heater wiring, vs cutting the plugs off the Guzzi wiring harness. I'd probably order heaters from Aerostitch, as I've had good luck with them on the T100. As I recall, the left and right heater plugs are smaller than the single plug where the momentary switch (off/on/heat1/heat2/heat3) is attached.

Anyone know specifically what make and model plugs I'd need to attach to the ends of my heater wires, so I could plug directly into the Guzzi harness without cutting off the plugs on the Guzzi harness? See above pics posted by Speedway RN.

Bob
  7. Rafael

Rafael GT Famiglia

SpeedwayRN, Confirm by checking the MG OE kit or each year Breva. As I recall, the momentary switch ('06) may be another kind of switch - it has a resistor. My only concern with aftermarket grips on the provided wiring is that the current draw may be much greater than the OE units. Don't know it that would be a problem. My Oxfords (wire independently) heat up a lot more than my buddy's OE H-grips.

Bob, The connector looks like Molex -rectagular, I bought them before my local Radio Shack. I found them on-line a Digi-Key but not sure if its the right size, there are 3 sizes for the 2 pin. http://search.digikey.com/sg/en/products/03-06-2023/WM1220-ND/61196 You can also do an image search on Google.
  8. SpeedwayRN

I have always used symtec on all my bikes at $40 they work well.
    I just cut the connectors off. Not willing to spend the time or money trying to find them. It wont make any difference in how any heated grips will work and its not like I'll be connecting them and disconnecting them all the time ... If ever. I'll post here how this all turns out. Right now I am recovering from an eye infection.
  9. ohiorider

Thanks. I may end up doing the same thing, if the 2 pin plugs aren't easy to locate. In the meantime, get well!

Bob
  10. SpeedwayRN

Before I put the tank back on I cut the connectors off and used butt connectors to make extensions for these wires. I spoke with the tech team at symtec and they said to only use the white and red wires. Do not use the blue wire or wire it together with the white wire. The grip warmers have two seperate circuits one high and one low. Use only the high, the white wire. Polarity does not matter.
    Today I got the bike running and indeed the high, medium, and low settings are just a variation of voltage output. Thus you only need the high circuit of grip warmers. Also there is no variation to left vs right output on the bike. Symtec does vary the output of heat via the size of the circuit on the grip warmer itself as one makes direct contact with the bar and the other goes around the throttle tube. I will insulate the left bar with a high temp rubber tape before applying the grip warmer to the bar. Symtec says this is not needed but this is what I have done on all my bikes. :whistle: