• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My brand new '15 Norge won't turn over

hayadenny

Just got it firing!
Just had this bike a week. Always started in less than two revolutions of the engine. Today, when I hit the starter I get a 'click'. Bike was built in June of '14.
Battery voltage showed 12.7v. I connected a Battery Tender and waited three hours, got a green light on the Battery Tender. 13.3v. show on the terminals. "Click". Display shows "Remember to insert your user code".
I don't have a clue what that means or how to do it.
Fuses fine, side stand switch fine, clutch in or out, in neutral, all that....."click"

Any thoughts?

Been riding 48 years, own 1979 GS1000SN Suzuki from new.
2003 ST1300 bought used, is up for sale as I just bought my second Norge.

The Insert User Code has nothing to do with the no-start. Check both positive and negative battery cables for tightness and corrosion on both ends, battery and under the starter motor cover for ground. I suspect you'll likely find the issue there.
The User Code is something you'll enter should you ever need to re-program the keys or similar. I *highly* recommend using the same code that gives you access to the Menu screen found here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/service-codes.917/

Oh, and congrats on the new Norge! Hope you'll add your info and a pic or two to the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/norge-registry-add-your-bike.11529/

If after cleaning the terminals you still get a "click", there is a simple modification posted on here to alter the starter circuit wiring. I'm sure yours is the same as my Breva, I did this mod years ago and never had a problem since.

Not quite, Kev. The 8V motors have two starter relays. But the principal is the same, and should apply.
Cables are clean, tight, no corrosion anywhere. I'm going to swap the Shorai Li-on battery from my ST1300 for the Yuasa that came with the Norge. If that fails to start the bike, I'm going to return it to Moto-International. In the back of my El Camino. Brand New bike 120 miles.
I don't think my expectation is unrealistic, for the bike to start right up as it is.
I'm not going to re-wire the starting system chasing ghosts. I'll stick with the the dependable brands.
Thanks for your feedback

The Insert User Code has nothing to do with the no-start. Check both positive and negative battery cables for tightness and corrosion on both ends, battery and under the starter motor cover for ground. I suspect you'll likely find the issue there.
The User Code is something you'll enter should you ever need to re-program the keys or similar. I *highly* recommend using the same code that gives you access to the Menu screen found here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/service-codes.917/

Oh, and congrats on the new Norge! Hope you'll add your info and a pic or two to the Registry; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/norge-registry-add-your-bike.11529/

Cable are clean, tight, showed no corrosion. Not being willing to re-wire or chop into the starting system wiring, if a Shoria Li-on battery from my ST1300 won't start the bike, It's going back to Moto-International in the back of my El-Camino. Some other lucky owner can fiddle with it. Glad I haven't advertised the ST so far.
Very frustrating, as my first '12 Norge 8V developed a mis-fire at 1,200 miles that Moto-International couldn't solve. I sold that bike on e-bay at a huge loss.
My old '79 GS1000 starts before you can get your thumb off the button. Same with the ST. I just checked it this morning after not starting it for almost a month. Instant start on the first rotation.
Why Moto-Guzzi is not willing/able to provide a bike that starts is very disappointing. Thanks for your response, and ride invisible.

Why Moto-Guzzi is not willing/able to provide a bike that starts is very disappointing. Thanks for your response, and ride invisible.
Sorry you are having issues, but in reality Moto Guzzi's do start with no issues. Mine do it all the time. If yours does not something is wrong. If you bought a Moto Guzzi and expected it to run like an appliance and not require any effort from you I think you may be disappointed (again).

I'm a bit surprised Moto International couldn't solve the problem on your 2012. Since the new bike is under warranty, if they can't fix it they should be able to get a Guzzi service rep in to look at it. With it being under warranty you should be able to get it corrected.

Have to admit it's very frustrating that this start relay wiring issue is still a problem (which is what this sounds like, though you could just have a dud relay).
This wiring mod has been required on most Guzzi models since the 80s, why are they not listening?

I fully agree on a brand new bike, you should never go modifying the wiring. It should be better.

Have to admit it's very frustrating that this start relay wiring issue is still a problem (which is what this sounds like, though you could just have a dud relay).
This wiring mod has been required on most Guzzi models since the 80s, why are they not listening?

I fully agree on a brand new bike, you should never go modifying the wiring. It should be better.

I'm hiring a retired Honda/Bultaco mechanic to track down the issue. If he can't fix it, it's going to be sold.
My expectation is that a new bike will start. I've owned 40 bikes or more since my '71 Norton Commando. By the way, started on the very first kick. I've never had starting/running issues with any new bikes, except for two Norges. Should Gerry not fix the bike, it's taking a one-way trip 150 miles to Seattle. I will have a new Guzzi top case for sale, as it will be delivered in two weeks. It's the matching Mahogany color, I'll sell it for $377. and buyer pays shipping from Yakima, WA. Breaks my heart.
The Kawasaki Dealer will Be selling a Versys 1000LT. When the button is pushed, it starts.

By the way, I contacted Guzzi Roadside Assistance to enroll my bike (not to make a claim) and they weren't able to provide a Customer Service Staffer that had any training on enrollment. Hmmm.

I hope this can be rectified. Hate to see a brand new bike with such problems. Did you check the voltage and tightness on the big wire at the piggy back solenoid that is attached to the starter? If so, and there is voltage, perhaps you can make a quick jumper wire and see if giving the solenoid tab some juice, the starter will turn?

Have you called your dealer directly and talked to the service tech?

Good luck.

Watching this with great interest, i just purchased a 2015 Norge from motointernational the very same day this thread started. I have not yet picked it up as i plan to fly and ride once the weather breaks here.
i was aware of this type of issue, but i own a couple of Aprilias and a Triumph so no stranger to weird little gremlins, i just hope it isn't something i will be chasing all the time. i think i would be on the phone immediately to motointernational. Good luck, i hope it is just something minor

In the original post, you indicated the battery voltage as 12.7v and 13.3v (before and after battery tender). Was this reading using the bike voltage readout or did you use a separate voltmeter. I own a 2007 Breva and have noticed the volt meter on the bike reads 1 volt lower than actual. (must be that special Italian "metric" voltage!). How new is the battery?

I also had the no-start issue that has been discussed in this forum. Once I installed the bypass (bought from MPH in Houston) i have not had this issue ever again. My dream is to get a norge when I rack up 30,000 miles on the breva. (and the mahogany is my preferred color)

My brother was "unhorsed" on his 2014 Norge by a stop-sign-running woman in a mini-vanjust before Christmas. He's still healing, but bought an identical "espresso & grappa" replacement from Moto-International. Dave Richardson -- a prince IMO -- is shipping it tomorrow.

I cannot imagine that he or other staff at M-I would ignore the complaints raised above.

BTW, sadly, I have failed in my efforts to buy my brother's wrecked Norge. I -- OK, my sweet and common-sensical spousal unit -- set my limit at $1K.

i-gPVhSx9-L.png

Bill

Last edited:
Have you even contacted Moto International about the issue?

The Tech at Moto-International mentioned the ground leads being the culprit. Turns out they were snug, not tight. But they weren't the problem. The fault was at the factory. The power wire to the starter fell off. There's no way the bike could've passed any quality control. The poorly-made spade connectors are so sloppy. They pull apart with zero effort.
No excuse for that kind of assembly lapse. The Honda mechanic just shook his head.
The good news is, the bike starts again. The spade connection was "tightened" up and won't come apart again by itself.

In the original post, you indicated the battery voltage as 12.7v and 13.3v (before and after battery tender). Was this reading using the bike voltage readout or did you use a separate voltmeter. I own a 2007 Breva and have noticed the volt meter on the bike reads 1 volt lower than actual. (must be that special Italian "metric" voltage!). How new is the battery?

I also had the no-start issue that has been discussed in this forum. Once I installed the bypass (bought from MPH in Houston) i have not had this issue ever again. My dream is to get a norge when I rack up 30,000 miles on the breva. (and the mahogany is my preferred color)

I use a volt meter. I knew the ground cable wasn't the cause, if it was, when the start button is pushed the lights would dim. They didn't.
I don't know if Dave had the battery in the bike before I bought it, so I can't say. Just for fun I took the Battery Tender Li-On battery out of my ST1300 and slipped it in the Norge. Great way to lose 5 lbs. When it's time to replace the Yuasa, I'm going with another Battery Tender.
My dream is to tour Italy on the Norge, tour the factory, and bitch-slap the inspector. If there is one.

Watching this with great interest, i just purchased a 2015 Norge from motointernational the very same day this thread started. I have not yet picked it up as i plan to fly and ride once the weather breaks here.
i was aware of this type of issue, but i own a couple of Aprilias and a Triumph so no stranger to weird little gremlins, i just hope it isn't something i will be chasing all the time. i think i would be on the phone immediately to motointernational. Good luck, i hope it is just something minor
Pull the cover(s) off the bike so you can inspect the starter motor connectors. Contact the M-G Roadside Assistance phone number and see if you can get enrolled. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with three nice people, none knew how to get me signed up. AMA includes Emergency Assistance with membership. I've had great results with them. Enjoy the bike! Joy is the operative word with a Norge.

Thanks for the insight on the problem, i will have it checked out before my ride back. I do have AMA roadside assistance and they have worked great for me. Glad to hear you got it sorted out, can't wait to go pick mine up

Back