• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

PIAA H4 high low not working but Passing is?

bigdog1001

Just got it firing!
Figured this was an easy project to upgrade the bulb.....it was but despite troubleshooting the high-low button is doing nothing......the H4 bulb comes on nice and bright when I toggle the passing button so it seems correctly connected. I checked the 15a fuses and intact. Stumped in CT!

I think you may have used a wrong bulb. The Breva is supposed to have an H7 for low beam and an H9 for high beam. Both bulbs are single filament, the H4 has a dual filament.

Before trying any more troubleshooting, I suggest you install the correct bulbs.

I think you may have used a wrong bulb. The Breva is supposed to have an H7 for low beam and an H9 for high beam. Both bulbs are single filament, the H4 has a dual filament.

Before trying any more troubleshooting, I suggest you install the correct bulbs.

Dave, he posted in the Griso section, so I'm assuming he has a Griso. It uses an H4. Have you followed the troubleshooting procedures outlined here? https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/troubleshooting-circuits.3001/ I hope you have a good voltmeter.

OK, I'll have another go. If neither the low or high beam is working, then I'd be suspecting the light relay which supplies power to the high-low beam switch. The high beam flash button gets it's power directly from the ignition switch.

Of course, it might be the wiring between the relay and the high-low switch, or the switch itself. But I would check the relay first.

The passing switch typically lights up both filaments. It sounds like your bulb is wired wrong inside. There are two powers, one for high and one for low, and a ground. If the ground is where either the high or the low power is supposed to be you could get the results you report. I assume the old bulb worked, so that means the new bulb is bad. Is it made in China?

So I started the bike up and now the high beam comes on and stays on......still nothing on the low beam. Next onto the relay. Thanks for the input.

The light relay feeds the high-low beam switch, and therefore should affect both high and low beams. The relay may be faulty and/or intermittent, but methinks it's not your only problem.

You can check the relays by playing "musical relays" under the seat. I switched out the high beam and low beam relays on my 07 Griso and everything worked again. I wouldn't touch the fuel injection relay which is part of the array under the seat. I did buy a new relay which I keep under the seat - just in case. All the relays in that row are the same.

I really wasn't that concerned with the high beam, I don't use it that much. I was told the low beam relay on my 07 Griso is part of the charging circuit. No low beam -- no charging.

After rotating the relays, I haven't had a problem for 4 months or so.

I chalk it up to Italian electrics. I've had a fair amount of experience with Aflas, Fiats and their electrical gremlins.

Now, I'm really confused. I can't find the high beam and low beam relays on the wiring diagram, neither for the 2V nor the 8V versions of the Griso. Are we talking about the same model?

After looking at the wiring diagram I downloaded from Guzzitech I think you're right! I must have switched the starter relay with the headlight relay. I can't remember where I got the information that the the first two relays were both lights. Either way it worked for me which really makes the fix screwy. maybe it was just a connection problem but I bought a spare - just in case.

Pull up the seat and look at the right side next to the airbox you should see a row of relays beside the airbox. You might have to take off the "seat shroud" bodywork. Sorry, I can't remember.

Page 42 (electrical system 2) of the Griso 1100 parts manual shows the relays. I switched the first two relays (the ones closest to the headset). The next relays are the fuel injection but check the wire colors just to be sure. In my case I usually check the wire colors three times and even trace the wires because I'm afraid of screwing it up.

Well in terms of troubleshooting I just tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting and starting her up. Success! Now the low-high beam switch is working and so is the light bulb! My relays and main fuses were all intact so I figured I would try the battery. I pulled the negative connection off, waited 5 mins and reconnected and started it. Good luck.

Back