RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Be sure to check in on the new products on the GuzziTech Store, link/tab above. Most items, like our limited production GT-Rx® Products, are 100% Made in the USA. Note we are still largely a one man operation, so thanks in advance for your patience. We do our best, but we are NOT Amazon, so please do not expect that level of service... and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order status OR questions best posted to the Forum. We cannot offer personal support to your problems or issues unless related to a product you bought from us here. Sorry, we do not have a phone number. Please do not send us your number and say call you. Thank you for your understanding and business, past and future.

"Service" message appeared

Discussion in 'New Gen Cali 1400 8V' started by Loosy gussi, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Loosy gussi

Loosy gussi Tuned and Synch'ed

Service word show up on the dash of my cali 1400. Diagnostic code showed code Po745 ... does anyone recognize this code? Or know where I should start to track this down? This code number does not show up in the service manual

Attached Files:

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Been there, done that!

It was the most frustrating code to try and reference, it's not referenced in the manuals, and dealers I spoke to could not help. My bike was off the road for seven weeks while I tried to diagnose the problem.

If you do a google search for P0745 (note not Po745 or PO745) you'll find this message "P0745 Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction". I'm fairly sure the Cali 1400 doesn't have one of those. Moto Guzzi don't always follow the OBD codes, and invent some of their own, but don't publish them or if they do, not for their dealers.

I got rid of my service with a bit of black magic (in other words, I'm not sure how), but in hindsight (which I have a degree in) I suspect it might be an error in the clutch switch. It was replaced and was the last thing I was rechecking when the service code disappeared.

Try putting your bike into gear, pull the clutch in, and see if it will turn over. If it starts, keep the clutch in and flip out the side stand. The motor should stop. That was the sequence that fixed my issue.

If you can't start it, then probably your clutch switch needs replacing. Keep us informed, this is valuable information for all.

3. Loosy gussi

might be an error in the clutch switch. It was replaced and was the last thing I was rechecking when the service code disappeared.

Try putting your bike into gear, pull the clutch in, and see if it will turn over. If it starts, keep the clutch in and flip out the side stand. The motor should stop. That was the sequence that fixed my issue.

If you can't start it, then probably your clutch switch needs replacing. Keep us informed, this is valuable information for all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kiwi Dave, just got back to try the bike..Clutch in, kick stand down, in gear- will not start.... Clutch in, Kick stand up, in gear- bike starts. Went to try other bikes in garage, they all work the same... appears the clutch switch is ok? If I drop the kick stand down, in gear, clutch in, it kills the engine, as it should
    Do you remember replacing anything else at the time? Did you use a diagnostic tool to remove the service warning

4. Loosy gussi

Hi kiwi Dave, I wanted to keep you informed (and all interested) what I have found, Pete asked me if my cruise control was working (in other forum) and I discovered after a ride that it was NOT working, which he suggests could point to a clutch or brake switch. So you were on the right track, right now I only know that the cruise control doesn't work, which definitely helps to narrow down what needs to be fixed. If you have any advise on how to proceed, I would be glad to hear it. Thanks for all your help, John

5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Edit: Oops, I never noticed the first reply. TThere are three conductors going to the switch -an off, an on, and a common. When the switch is activated, the "off" and "on" trade status (if you get my drift). Not sure why they they require the double throw switch, but it might be for service monitoring purpose.

When I priced a replacement clutch switch I almost fell over, NZ$180 (around US$120). You may be able to get it at a cheaper price, but I was too mean to pay that. I discovered the switch is a Burgess VL4S microswitch, which was available from element14 for $NZ28. It arrived with the same coloured cables attached, but alas they were a little short. So I spliced the old connector and some of the cable with the new microswitch, soldered the joints, and covered the lot with heat shrink.

You might not be as miserable as me.

6. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Of course, it could also be the brake switch. I found early on the cable going to the rear brake pedal was touching the crossover tube on the exhausts. However the switch was still working afterwards, and this didn't clear the service.

I didn't clear the codes, but I did reset the "Handle learning" (error code P0165 if not correct) and the "Throttle learning" (error code P0185 if not correct).

Hang in there!

7. Loosy gussi

Thanks, kiwi dave that is great news to me. I used to be Mr. Cheap Tour.I cannot see paying big bucks for a radio shack switch. Thank you, for your quick response & vital information

Rickhinnz likes this.
  8. Loosy gussi

Here is the switch, it is about 30 inches long in total..

20170407_104748.jpg 20170407_104835.jpg

9. Loosy gussi

Found out the switch was faulty, thanks kiwi dave & pete, my friend knows electronics , and easily soldered on the original factory wire to the new switch. I installed and used the alaris to clear the "Service" warning. These switches can be purchased online, Thanks for all the help, John 20170415_092209.jpg

10. stephenm

stephenm Tuned and Synch'ed

Can the SERVICE code be cleared through the dash? When I replace my clutch switch, I won't have access to my kit, which will be 20,000km away.

Stephen

11. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Honestly, I can't remember. I had such a hard time removing it, I think there was some hocus pocus involved.

All I can suggest is try it and report back. I've got the feeling it ain't gonna happen.

stephenm likes this.
  12. WroomWroom

WroomWroom Tuned and Synch'ed

Yes, you need to go to the service menu using pass code 34534 and there will be an option to clear the status.

stephenm likes this.
  13. groundhog105

groundhog105 Tuned and Synch'ed

Yep that works. Just cleared my service icon

14. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Clearing your service due icon (spanner or wrench) which appears every 6,000 miles or 10,000 kM is different than what stephenm is wanting to do. I know they can be cleared through Guzzidiag, but I'm doubting it can be cleared via the dashboard service menu.

The only option offered is "Reset Coupon" which I believe is only for the reoccuring spanner or wrench. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

15. stephenm

stephenm Tuned and Synch'ed

Well, I replaced the clutch micro-switch, and woke the 1400 after its 20,000km sleep travelling by sea from Australia to the UK. The SERVICE message remained on first start up. On second start up, the SERVICE message was gone. 300km later, all normal. This may be coincidental, as this happened last October while on a tour. The message appeared, but two days later, was gone. I will have access to Guzzidiag and my cables in a week or two, in any case. How good does it feel to get back on the bike after a few months!

Stephen

16. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

And that was my experience too, so I'd say you're now clear.

stephenm likes this.