• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Test Rode a 2008 Norge

spartan1984

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello gang,

New to the forum and wanted to say hello. Live in SoCal and have owned a Piaggio MP3 250/500, Vespa 150 LXV, Scarabeo 150, Aprilia Mana 850 and currently ride a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST. I usually post on the AF1 Aprilia Forum but a fellow inmate guided me over to make this post, so here goes.

I just test rode a Norge and was very impressed with it. Came away feeling better than expected. I have a few questions to ask regarding setup of the bike (if I purchase it):
  1. The foot pegs were a bit higher than I expected. Are there ways to lower them just a tad, are there aftermarket options or will I just have to deal with the original setup?
  2. I've heard the kickstand is not the greatest and the bike has tipped over. Is there an aftermarket kickstand foot option out there?
  3. Are bar raisers available?
  4. Has anyone tried to install a GPS setup on the bike?
  5. Would you recommend changing out the stock headlight bulbs for something a bit brighter (not talking HIDs)?
  6. Are there any other things that you can suggest or recommend?
I think that's all the questions I have for now
smile.gif
Your help is very much appreciated.

Spartan

To answer some of your questions, for the foot pegs, lowering blocks are available. Check the store tab above, I think Todd has them. Another option is to raise the seat. If it still has the stock seat, you may find the raising the seat a better option than lowering pegs. The stock foam in my opinion is too soft. After a couple hundred miles you will feel like you are sitting on the seat pan. A good high density foam is a must for a good saddle. First I've heard of a Norge sinking in with the US side stand. If it was changed to the Euro one, it is possible. For bar risers, look ah Heli Bars. Also there some that are making a rising block that can go under the stock risers. Plenty of posts on GPS mounting on this forum. Have a go at a search. The bike even has a dedicated connector for one. As to headlights, I can't suggest anything.

Hello gang,

New to the forum and wanted to say hello. Live in SoCal and have owned a Piaggio MP3 250/500, Vespa 150 LXV, Scarabeo 150, Aprilia Mana 850 and currently ride a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST. I usually post on the AF1 Aprilia Forum but a fellow inmate guided me over to make this post, so here goes.

I just test rode a Norge and was very impressed with it. Came away feeling better than expected. I have a few questions to ask regarding setup of the bike (if I purchase it):
  1. The foot pegs were a bit higher than I expected. Are there ways to lower them just a tad, are there aftermarket options or will I just have to deal with the original setup?
  2. I've heard the kickstand is not the greatest and the bike has tipped over. Is there an aftermarket kickstand foot option out there?
  3. Are bar raisers available?
  4. Has anyone tried to install a GPS setup on the bike?
  5. Would you recommend changing out the stock headlight bulbs for something a bit brighter (not talking HIDs)?
  6. Are there any other things that you can suggest or recommend?
I think that's all the questions I have for now
smile.gif
Your help is very much appreciated.

Spartan

1. Foot pegs can be replaced with those from a Buell Ulysses to lower them, but that tends to interfere with the sidestand in its raised position. I have a Russell Day-Long seat that is raised from stock and much more firm. I also had them build in heaters.
  2. The Euro sidestand is shorter and can cause issues, I have read. I have not had an issue with the standard one on my 08 Norge, but I do take extra care on soft surfaces or on slopes.
  3. I have the HeliBar risers - they go as far as they can without requiring cable or gose changes. Excellent.
  4. I have a GPS. I mounted mine using the RAM mount for the clutch reservoir and a std (medium) arm. I put a power outlet on the forward left dash area. Other good mounting points for a RAM base or ball are the threaded hole below the tree cover, and the bolts for the windscreen.
  5. The projector headlights are among the brightest stock lights available. However, the design tends to trap bulb heat. I recommend against such things as the over-wattage PIAAs (for example). LED replacement bulbs do not work well in projector lenses, which are designed for a point (filament) light source. If you need more light, I recommend auxiliary LED lights, mounted either below the cowling or on the forks.
  6. Other things? the list is endless, but I have added various windscreens, extra turn signal, brake and running lights, the Stelvio handguards, a circuit box from Eastern Beaver for all my extras, cruise control (a bit of work but doable), a Kwikover, a SPOT satellite tracking device, Throttlemeister (heavy) for backup to the cruise control, power outlet on dash, power outlet and USB converter in trunk, and a fairly comprehensive toolkit and air compressor in the left pannier.
Any other questions, just ask.

1. Foot pegs can be replaced with those from a Buell Ulysses to lower them, but that tends to interfere with the sidestand in its raised position. I have a Russell Day-Long seat that is raised from stock and much more firm. I also had them build in heaters.
  2. The Euro sidestand is shorter and can cause issues, I have read. I have not had an issue with the standard one on my 08 Norge, but I do take extra care on soft surfaces or on slopes.
  3. I have the HeliBar risers - they go as far as they can without requiring cable or gose changes. Excellent.
  4. I have a GPS. I mounted mine using the RAM mount for the clutch reservoir and a std (medium) arm. I put a power outlet on the forward left dash area. Other good mounting points for a RAM base or ball are the threaded hole below the tree cover, and the bolts for the windscreen.
  5. The projector headlights are among the brightest stock lights available. However, the design tends to trap bulb heat. I recommend against such things as the over-wattage PIAAs (for example). LED replacement bulbs do not work well in projector lenses, which are designed for a point (filament) light source. If you need more light, I recommend auxiliary LED lights, mounted either below the cowling or on the forks.
  6. Other things? the list is endless, but I have added various windscreens, extra turn signal, brake and running lights, the Stelvio handguards, a circuit box from Eastern Beaver for all my extras, cruise control (a bit of work but doable), a Kwikover, a SPOT satellite tracking device, Throttlemeister (heavy) for backup to the cruise control, power outlet on dash, power outlet and USB converter in trunk, and a fairly comprehensive toolkit and air compressor in the left pannier.
Any other questions, just ask.

ITSec...great information and thanks for replying. Sounds like you have an awesome setup going. Do you recommend frame sliders as well as axle sliders? How's the stock horn?

ITSec...great information and thanks for replying. Sounds like you have an awesome setup going. Do you recommend frame sliders as well as axle sliders? How's the stock horn?

I don't have sliders at all. I might if I had a Griso or Sport, but they don't make sense to me for the Norge. The stock horn is adequate (barely), but can easily be replaced by your choice of aftermarket horns. If you put in any non-stock horn, run new supply wiring and use the existing wire to trigger a relay.

Also, I'd recommend using a relay to create a starter wire bypass, allowing more direct power to the starter. This is well described in several threads here or elsewhere if you want to do it yourself. If you don't, there is a pre-built alternative that is a simple plug-in install available from MPH Cycles (http://mphcycles.com/starter-relay-fix-kit/). Because of the Byzantine wiring of Moto Guzzis, almost all of them eventually have trouble with the starter not receiving enough power through the stock wiring.

In areas you haven't mentioned, I have some gear from Todd, including a reflashed ECU, open airbox lid, and custom mapping for the PC-V, Autotune, wideband O2 sensor, and K&N filter I have installed. All this is nice but not necessary, and you have to balance reduced mileage with increased performance and reduced heat generation.

My Norge was purchased with an eye to long-distance (Iron Butt) riding, and I've set it up to support that. After three and a half years, it has about 95,000 miles on it - but that's with one year where I only managed about 15,000 due to work commitments.

I have some gear from Todd, including a reflashed ECU, open airbox lid, and custom mapping for the PC-V, Autotune, wideband O2 sensor, and K&N filter I have installed. All this is nice but not necessary, and you have to balance reduced mileage with increased performance and reduced heat generation.
Thanks for the post/note, but I can confirm over many installations that MPG's can largely increase depending on how you ride, and the reduced heat due to true fuel-cooled running and lower AFR's simply mean a longer-life motor. YMMV.

ITSec...thanks for the info regarding the sliders, horn and performance. I did send an e-mail to Todd asking for additional information related to parts I'm interested in.

I went down to the dealer today (Saturday) to work out a deal for the bike. Although not 100% completed, looking to be a new MG Norge owner within the week :)

I ride an 06 Breva 1100, which is similar to the Norge. I lowered the pegs 1" by using Knight Design footpegs and toe pegs, and raised the bars using Helibars. This dealt with achy knees after 4 hours of riding, and tired wrists after less. I haven't changed the seat and find it all day comfortable on roads with curves; on a dead straight motorway I have to stop every couple of hours or it gets painful. I managed to fit the RAM mount for a TomTom just next to the clutch cylinder. I get great fuel economy (50s UK mpg) hacking around twisties; rather less if pottering around town or holding higher speeds on a motorway. The Breva and Norge are great bikes and deserve more recognition than they get.

Graham,

Thanks for the informative response :)

I've heard that the lowered foot pegs slightly interfere with allowing the kickstand to fully retract, how's your setup working?

Spartan

Graham,

Thanks for the informative response :)

I've heard that the lowered foot pegs slightly interfere with allowing the kickstand to fully retract, how's your setup working?

Spartan
It's not interfered with it at all. When I first put the pegs on, my left heel sometimes touched the retracted main stand which made my heel vibrate, but I must have adapted because that problem disappeared almost immediately. The lower pegs do affect ground clearance, which isn't great to start with. I'm not a racer and I've never touched the pegs down, but when I lean right over on sharp corners I do have to remember to bring my foot back so the balls of my feet are resting on the pegs - otherwise my toe scrapes on the ground! It's not a problem and I'd rather that than get a painful knee.

It's not interfered with it at all. When I first put the pegs on, my left heel sometimes touched the retracted main stand which made my heel vibrate, but I must have adapted because that problem disappeared almost immediately. The lower pegs do affect ground clearance, which isn't great to start with. I'm not a racer and I've never touched the pegs down, but when I lean right over on sharp corners I do have to remember to bring my foot back so the balls of my feet are resting on the pegs - otherwise my toe scrapes on the ground! It's not a problem and I'd rather that than get a painful knee.
Spartan1984

Be advised the US side stand is different from the rest of the world stand. The US one will contact lowered pegs. You can change side stands, just be aware the side stand bolts are different also.

Hi John,

thats what i am hearing and reading from past forum postings. i think for now i'll just leave as is.

Barry

Hi John,

thats what i am hearing and reading from past forum postings. i think for now i'll just leave as is.

Barry

If you aren't inseam challenged, a taller seat seems to work well. Better seat, better position for knees and hips.

I was looking at the Corbin website today as a matter of fact. I guess not too many of those come up for sale on the forum.

I'd like to thank all of you for posting information regarding the Norge. I'll be heading over to the dealership Wednesday to sign the paperwork for the Norge, but won't pick it up until the prep it.

In the meantime, I've searched through some of the postings and have a feeling that the "stock" horn needs replacing. What have most folks used (Stebel, PIAA Sport Horn, etc.)? What's easiest to install yet doesn't look obtrusive upfront?

Welcome to Guzzidom and the Duchy of Norge. :)

I installed a Stebel (compact model) several years ago. Still works like a champ, tho many complain of theirs "dying" within year or so. See, e.g., webbikeworld's views: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/denali-soundbomb-horn-review/

I must be lucky, but whenever I have the tupperware off of mine, I check for blockage in air tunnel and ensure all connections are snug.

It's fun to use for "appropriate targets," e.g., texting cretins, but also VERY loud. I have watched as drivers over-react and over-correct right into your lane, so be careful when using.

FWIW, see http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2ActHDdm5csXxw for how I installed mine.

The pix are bigger and the captions easier to read in "slideshow" mode.

Bill

You're in CA-think about a ride to Ventura to see Rocky at Bill Mayer Saddles. You'll wind up with an absolutely fabulous saddle.
Yon can do this thru mail but it's a great excuse for a ride and Rocky is a wonderful host.

Welcome to Guzzidom and the Duchy of Norge. :)

I installed a Stebel (compact model) several years ago. Still works like a champ, tho many complain of theirs "dying" within year or so. See, e.g., webbikeworld's views: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/denali-soundbomb-horn-review/

I must be lucky, but whenever I have the tupperware off of mine, I check for blockage in air tunnel and ensure all connections are snug.

It's fun to use for "appropriate targets," e.g., texting cretins, but also VERY loud. I have watched as drivers over-react and over-correct right into your lane, so be careful when using.

FWIW, see http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2ActHDdm5csXxw for how I installed mine.

The pix are bigger and the captions easier to read in "slideshow" mode.

Bill

Bill,

That looks perfect!!!

Barry

Back