• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Engine Noises

GuzziV65TT

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Done about 350 miles with my V7 powered TT. Got 2 strange problems I could do with some advice on

I thought the engine was pinking below 2500rpm poss more on the left but after much testing I think its more of a mechanical noise more like piston slap as you load up the engine, back of the throttle and the noise goes. If you blip the throttle when parked up I get the same noise.

Second strange noise after riding for 40mins and really nice and hot the bottom end noise get a shade deeper when you apply pressure to the clutch. Engine revs do not change , if it cools for short while the deeper noise goes untill really hot again

( plugs coming out a nice colour, valves set at 0.15 in and 0.2 out, 225psi left pot and 230psi right pot)

On Motul 7100 10w60 , dropped sump and checked for debris etc when I fitted the engine, have just done an oil and filter change , oil came out looking nice and fresh

It's done around 1000/1100 miles now.

Down jetted from v65 setup, was on 115 main and 40 pilot , down to 112 and a 38 as it was running so rich it blacked plugs in seconds !

Noise is in barrels I think. Bottom end is silent (for a guzzi) until really hot.

I think bottom end noise is just pressure of clutch clearing on the crank

As I have no timing marks I had used my own tdc marks from mid point between crank movement with piston at the tdc level

my friends at the dealers rode her today, its standard piston slap that v7 engines have on lhs pot. The new demo bike has similar noise , happy to say the carb fed cat free v7tt is much sharper and faster than the stock v7II

Well, duh. A stock V7 II is running very lean. Dunno about that piston slap diagnosis.
Hi, I've just bought a new V7ii Racer and it's got a strange noise on the LHS, more thudding than rattly. Goes away when the revs rise. I was going to leave it until the 600 mile service and just get them to check ECU updates. Anyone else have this problem?

Im reliably told that most newer v7 engine are noisy on the left pot, esp below 2500rpm

I ridden lots at work and most are louder on the left side

Im reliably told that most newer v7 engine are noisy on the left pot, esp below 2500rpm

I ridden lots at work and most are louder on the left side

Thanks for that info. At least I know I've not bought a lemon!
Your bike is really smart, by the way. It looks totally unique.

My bottom end noise when really hot has got much better after a warning about motul oil not being ideal for the v7 engine. Swapped out to Morris x-rpm 10w60 on sat while at work and noise almost gone when I pull the clutch with a hot engine . Rattle when pulling off stayed the same..

Odd for two 10w60 oils the motul pours like water compared to the Morris (big uk manufacture )

Just got another v7 engine and box for my white TT, be interesting to compare noises between them

Last edited:
I gave up on engine noise long ago. Most of it have something to do with the clutch design and or the valve train. Either way they come and go or maybe I just ignore them at this point. Sort of like women talking all the time, after awhile you just block it out. Most of that information about like a disclosure statement.

No idea what you guys are talking about regarding noise locations... my industrial hearing loss kicked in a long time ago. Actually I reckon a good amount of that was riding without earplugs and nightclubs back in the day but I digress... Super cool bike mate, I haven't seen similar before. Love it. :cool:

This TT makes "scramblers" look pale by comparison. Love your work. Hope to see many more posts/bike reviews.

No idea what you guys are talking about regarding noise locations... my industrial hearing loss kicked in a long time ago. Actually I reckon a good amount of that was riding without earplugs and nightclubs back in the day but I digress... Super cool bike mate, I haven't seen similar before. Love it. :cool:

This TT makes "scramblers" look pale by comparison. Love your work. Hope to see many more posts/bike reviews.

Cheers Jorge

I was going to say my TT is unique but I have just started building another after scoring another v7 engine and box. Going slightly more old school with my second v7tt build .... more to come

Back