• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Valve adjuster on Norge 1200?

I say this is the kindest of way that I know how, so please don't shoot the messenger.

The same ham-fisted person that over-torqued the hell out of those adjusters on the one side, causing them both to fail, also touched both adjusters on the other side.

In two separate events, you have been lucky that no metal has fallen down the passages into the engine or been bumped past the valve spring and passed down the valve train, where it would more than likely have destroyed the engine.

So, I say, YES, ABSOLUTELY. Consider it proactive cheap insurance.

It would not hurt to see if Fox will cut you a break as this is not of your fault and they should perhaps put forth some goodwill here in my opinion.

Good Luck!

I fully expect the Warranty will cover this scenario, i may have to remind them a couple of times that I have the warranty.

I don't really feel like trying to convince them to do the other side as I want the experience myself anyway.

So, I need to order:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_127&products_id=675

Isn't there a nut involved too?

I'll order up a set of Valve Cover Gaskets at the same time.

Parts # 28 and 29.

The nut isn't listed on the MGCYCLE website but I know it used to be. They just upgraded the website and it may not be there. Just call them, they'll have it or will get it for you right away.

Avoid Harpers Moto Guzzi, he wants over $9 each for the nut which is ridiculous. A lot of his stuff is like that.

Moto International has them for $1.63 each

Screen Shot 2017 05 19 at 111830 AM

Scott, Harper's gets their parts from the importer and use the Guzzi parts price list. Some dealers source common hardware and can sell for less that Guzzi wants for the part.

So I have a spare Saturday morning. Wow, the valve cover was on there pretty good.

It doesn't surprise me in the least. Those are the bolts I see most often, stripped and pulled right out of the head because for some strange reason, people think that they have to be torqued down like a hatch on a submarine! They don't. As long as the metal surfaces are clean and debris free, and the gasket is in good shape, then "snug plus 1/8th turn" is plenty.

Oh no, the bolts came off no problem, getting the cover to release from the head was difficult.

I just hit the side facing the back of the bike with my hand to slide it forwad. That usually pops the cover free without damaging the gasket.

Bit of oil on the gasket and you won't have that issue next time. Just smear a bit on with your finger before you put it back. Next time it will come off without issue.

That's where I was wondering if my dealer didn't put high tack on it or something when they replaced the valve cover gaskets last fall when I blew one out.

Once my extended warranty is expired (I think it's this fall), I'm going to be doing a lot of this work myself. I have another year of no cost oil changes yet though, so i won't be doing that myself for another year :).

Just make sure they don't strip your drain bolt holes before your extended warranty is over. Won't be worth the savings with the headaches that brings.............not that I don't trust dealers......:mad:

For the gasket it is typical for them to stick if not treated with oil or grease. Have a machined surface with a smooth rubber being squeezed together under heat. What will usually happen is the gasket will release half from the head on one part of the gasket and half from the cover on another part and that is when you end up ripping it if you are not careful. It is just a loose groove on the valve cover. If that did not separate then chances are they tacked that on which is not a bad thing. They just didn't lube the other side. If they put tack on both sides....well...that is just dumb.

Yeah, so I'm not going to run my Norge today then. I've already seen a Honda pilot with a failed tie rod this morning... Want my weekend to stay clear...

Achievement unlocked
Adjusted valves tonight.
Right side first. Some monkey has been futzing around and there were two different size nuts on the adjusters. 11mm/13mm. Not a good sign. I could also drive a truck through the gaps. Must have set the gaps with matchbooks like setting points in a tractor.
Left side had identical 11mm nuts but one valve cover bolt was a hex head. Seems my bike had had an interesting life. They cared enough to put a stainless Y-pipe and GPR exhaust along with a GuzziTech computer BUT had random bolts around when assembly time came in their garage.

Plus side: valves now sound like they should not overly clacky.
IMG 4681 IMG 4680

Achievement unlocked
Adjusted valves tonight.
Right side first. Some monkey has been futzing around and there were two different size nuts on the adjusters. 11mm/13mm. Not a good sign. I could also drive a truck through the gaps. Must have set the gaps with matchbooks like setting points in a tractor.
Left side had identical 11mm nuts but one valve cover bolt was a hex head. Seems my bike had had an interesting life. They cared enough to put a stainless Y-pipe and GPR exhaust along with a GuzziTech computer BUT had random bolts around when assembly time came in their garage.

Plus side: valves now sound like they should not overly clacky.
View attachment 30595View attachment 30596
Now is the correct time to stock up on the correct hardware. Next time you have the bike apart, you can put it back together with the correct parts.

Back