• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 saddlebags note and warning!

I am trully sorry to hear this. It looks like that happened while tumbling on the pavement. What do the "hooks" at the end of the two mounting posts look like, and also the "spikes" on the bottom of the passenger seat bottom that secure the two posts/hooks from moving rearward? Any unusual wear marks/points? Did you by chance spray any silicone or any other type of lube as someone suggested? I think that is not a good Idea... Lube will attract grime and turn into a fine lapping compound. Tight fit is almost always best.

There are some minor cosmetic marks on the hooks but nothing concerning. I never put any lube on the mounting points. I did a bit more investigating, and there is simply no way the panniers weren't properly mounted when I set off this morning. Something is awry here. My best guess is that crack actually wasn't from impact. If that mounting point had already been weakened, it could have cracked while riding. The crack causes the pannier to sag. I can imagine how it could have slid out if it were sagging.

The whole mounting system is made of plastic, and the panniers require a bit of elbow grease to get on and off. Maybe a crack had already formed.

Oh sure, it's more. I realize there are some diehard Guzzi fans on this forum, but we don't need to defend bad design. I suppose the leaking coolant on my bike was user error as well?

I have never owned a motorcycle where the panniers fall off while riding. On every other bike I've owned, when you attach the panniers, they are either clearly secured or clearly NOT secured. The fact that there is no lever that sets the panniers into place is part of the problem. The design of these is categorically worse than the Varios of my BMW GS.

As a former BMW dealer, I can assure you that I have seen dozens of BMW saddlebags from the 1970’s through the 2000’s that have jettisoned off the bike due to improper mounting. It happens.

However, in no case that I witnessed, including Norge Bags that flew off the bikes as well, was there ever a fundamental problem with the bag itself, only the understanding of the operator, and human error which happens.

It certainly isn’t bad design.

As to your coolant leak, no that isn’t user error, that is an unforeseen happenstance which appeared when the motorcycles went into general service with the public. There isn’t a manufacturer in the world of any vehicle or any kind, that doesn’t discover and have to rectify things like this. Not a one. In this case, the clamp which has a fixed tension point, did not provide quite enough tension. They have a solution and are rectifying it free of charge under warranty. Thank you Moto Guzzi! That’s why warranties exist, on every vehicle.

I get it. It sucks to lose a bag, but it’s not bad design and it’s not happy wine-infused Guidos at the factory. You made a mistake. It happens. Life goes on.

Last edited:
There are some minor cosmetic marks on the hooks but nothing concerning. I never put any lube on the mounting points. I did a bit more investigating, and there is simply no way the panniers weren't properly mounted when I set off this morning. Something is awry here. My best guess is that crack actually wasn't from impact. If that mounting point had already been weakened, it could have cracked while riding. The crack causes the pannier to sag. I can imagine how it could have slid out if it were sagging.

The whole mounting system is made of plastic, and the panniers require a bit of elbow grease to get on and off. Maybe a crack had already formed.
I hope you get to the bottom of this and keep us posted, thanks.

As a former BMW dealer, I can assure you that I have seen dozens of BMW saddlebags from the 1970’s through the 2000’s that have jettisoned off the bike due to improper mounting. It happens.

However, in no case that I witnessed, including Norge Bags that flew off the bikes as well, was there ever a fundamental problem with the bag itself, only the understanding of the operator, and human error which happens.

It certainly isn’t bad design.

As to your coolant leak, no that isn’t user error, that is an unforeseen happenstance which appeared when the motorcycles went into general service with the public. There isn’t a manufacturer in the world of any vehicle or any kind, that doesn’t discover and have to rectify things like this. Not a one. In this case, the clamp which has a fixed tension point, did not provide quite enough tension. They have a solution and are rectifying it free of charge under warranty. Thank you Moto Guzzi! That’s why warranties exist, on every vehicle.

I get it. It sucks to lose a bog, but it’s not bad design and it’s not haopy wine-infused Guidos at the factory. You made a mistake. It happens. Life goes on.

Do you have a V100? Have you used the panniers?

See the OP's second post 13 May. What is said makes sense. The left side bag is at an angle favoring gravity, and takes more effort to lock in placer, and he and you both lost left side bags. I have not seen any other V100 owners with issues having a bag fall off except the OP and yourself, and I think he hit the nail on the head.

On Saturday AF1 called to say that my panniers arrived early, which was a welcome surprise. They will be doing the install on the panniers and I expect they will ensure that it's done right. It's a shame that the average temperature in Central Texas is well over 100 degrees! Sounds like a good excuse to head out to Colorado.

Personally, I'd discuss the issue with them on the front side. First, they might not have heard anything. Second, you are covering your ass if they fly off into the desert.

When I bought the bike I mentioned this thread and the related issue with them, but I will cover it again when I drop the V100 with them. AF1 is one of the top 2 Moto Guzzi dealers in the US, so I have high confidence the will be on point with the install. I've bought and sold a ton of bikes with them, they are always a top notch bunch and I know they stand behind their work.

See the OP's second post 13 May. What is said makes sense. The left side bag is at an angle favoring gravity, and takes more effort to lock in placer, and he and you both lost left side bags. I have not seen any other V100 owners with issues having a bag fall off except the OP and yourself, and I think he hit the nail on the head.

Just one more reason to install the center stand, which I will do if my bike ever arrives...

On Saturday AF1 called to say that my panniers arrived early, which was a welcome surprise. They will be doing the install on the panniers and I expect they will ensure that it's done right. It's a shame that the average temperature in Central Texas is well over 100 degrees! Sounds like a good excuse to head out to Colorado.

I do think it would be a good idea to bring it to AF1's attention. However, I don't think this is an installation issue. The only part of the mounting system that has to be installed is the bracket that attaches to the footpeg mount. Pretty much the only way you could mess that up is mix up the left and right bracket (it's clear which one is which from the directions) or to simply not tighten the bolts properly.

I'm not quite a belt-and-suspenders guy, but since I am riding solo, a seatbelt strap between bags might give me some warning before total loss. Dangerous in concept but will consider worst-case (no pun intended) when implemented.

First service done, … and panniers installed (weight capy - 11lbs ea):

IMG 0231

After purposely taking some bumpy back roads, and I-275 with nasty expansion joints, I am happy to say, I made it home without losing them😉. They seem to lock in pretty well, once into position. While waiting on them, I ordered some pannier liners. These will be nice for traveling - load “them” and carry to and from bike. Seem like nice liners… reflective piping, denier with nylon inner coating to keep things dry, 2 zips per bag (at front and back), exterior side zipper and interior side stash pocket, both shoulder strap and carry handles, rubber feet on bottoms to keep from sliding around inside panniers. $120 for both, delivered (to Cincinnati) from GB in less than a week via trackable DHL. Recommended 👍

IMG 0255

First service done, … and panniers installed (weight capy - 11lbs ea):

View attachment 30604

After purposely taking some bumpy back roads, and I-275 with nasty expansion joints, I am happy to say, I made it home without losing them😉. They seem to lock in pretty well, once into position. While waiting on them, I ordered some pannier liners. These will be nice for traveling - load “them” and carry to and from bike. Seem like nice liners… reflective piping, denier with nylon inner coating to keep things dry, 2 zips per bag (at front and back), exterior side zipper and interior side stash pocket, both shoulder strap and carry handles, rubber feet on bottoms to keep from sliding around inside panniers. $120 for both, delivered (to Cincinnati) from GB in less than a week via trackable DHL. Recommended 👍

View attachment 30605
No operator error! What is the brand on the liners please, can't make it out. They look very nice

AF1 alluded to multiple other owners having issues with the left pannier. I would suggest taking pictures for documentation purposes after mounting them before setting off.

AF1 alluded to multiple other owners having issues with the left pannier. I would suggest taking pictures for documentation purposes after mounting them before setting off.

I am heading to AF1 on Saturday to have my panniers installed, good suggestions to document the process.

Not this time, at least 😂😂… The liners are from Great Bikers Gear, in England.
Thank you! 👍
Edit: I ordered a set around the end of August, and put them to use over Labor Day weekend for a ride to Pine, AZ. And yes, they are well made with great features and are a step above another brand out there. I had been watching on a couple of websites and then found them on Amazon for a great price, but still a bit pricey.

Last edited:
I'm the one that started this post when I lost my left saddlebag on the first run. Having looked at the system carefully since then, I think that it was my fault that they weren't locked in properly. The mounting could be eaier to implement though. Having said that, I think that the blame lies with MG for not providing any documentation on how to fit the bags. They should have included a section in the owner's manual. I am still waiting for replacements. Dealer tells me should be in by end of July (Canada).

Back