• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva/Norge/Sport - Bar Risers de Oz

Re:Breva/Norge Handle Bar Risers de Oz

In case anyone is wondering what has happened, there has been a slight delay. :eek:hmy:

Last week I packed the entire Milling machine controller and computer on a pallet and sent it to CNC Teknix at Woollongong south of Sydney so they could make it work.

To cut a long story short after the encoder on the x axis decided not to play the game I replaced it with the recommended unit as the OEM one is no longer available and of course it wouldn't work - many hours of swearing and lotsa phoone calls and eventually I spat the dummy and told them that I was going to send them the whole shooting match so they could make it work seeing as it was their design.

They signed for the delivery last Tuesday - still waiting to hear the outcome!

Mike -

I'm mighty impressed with your work - and if they will fit on the Norge (don't see any reason why not), I'd like to get in line for a set. PM me with any specifics not covered in the thread.
Thanks, that really looks nice.

jdg

Mike.C wrote:
To cut a long story short after the encoder on the x axis decided not to play the game I replaced it with the recommended unit as the OEM one is no longer available and of course it wouldn't work - many hours of swearing and lotsa phoone calls and eventually I spat the dummy and told them that I was going to send them the whole shooting match so they could make it work

I didn't know Guzzi made Milling machines :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :silly:

They have now had the mill for nearly two weeks. I called yesterday and was told they hadn't had time to look at it because the recession had passed them by and they were too busy.

WTF!

OK Guys, Gals, Sheilas and Blokes we're away....

After having to bite my toungue several times during lengthy phone calls to CNC Teknix in Sydney and a couple of false starts that went something like - them: "It's ready" - me: "Have you done XYZ" - them: "um I didn't know you wanted that done like that" - me: well it's not ready then is it.... not verbatim, but you get the idea..... The mill in all it's oil and grease soaked glory is now back on the bench nearly 4 months after it broke and I started getting the run around with them selling me parts and having me install them only to find out that they were not related in any way to the problems we were having, talk about suck it and see engineering. Problem is it was more suck on my bank balance than thoughtful engineering.

For those that are curious, what have we done to it? Initially replaced all three motor encoders (they are the things that tell the controller that the motor has moved a bit) with seriously high spec ones (complete waste of money as it was unnecesary), connected the encoders to the controller with fancy new cables that should prevent any spurious little electrons floating about and giving trouble (again in hindsight a waste of doh), the Z axis lower bearing was shot and so had to be replaced with a sealed unit to prevent swarf ingress, took the opportunity while the Z was in bits to shim align the ball screw as it was binding a bit causing the servo motor to draw a varying amount of current as it turned which was causing problems, I have dumped the Desk CNC control software in favour of the much more capable Mach 3 (great move - Desk CNC is crap, and Mach 3 seems to be the ducks nuts although I have only just started learning how to run it), the controller was tuned using their electronics workshop diagnostics - specifically this involves running a G code program that oscillates each motor while using an oscilliscope to tune the power output, ramp start/stop and other techo things that a cnc controller does to run a servo motor that I know nothing about, that's about it really.... Oh no nearly forgot, parted with about $2500 for the pleasure :angry:

So last weekend The Minister got to ride Gus to the office (and hence the cammo Draggin Jeans) while I had to drive the car... talk about jealous, and we hired an engine lifter to put it back on the bench.

So now to the risers....

The code is done and waiting on the HDD, all that has to happen is for me to get on with it. Problem is I am the worlds greatest procrastinator, so to make it happen I'm going to put it out there - if I have a bunch of fire breathing Guzzisti on my back, maybe I might be inclined to "make" time.

I will do a production run, but first need to know how many of youse good folk might want a set? But wait I hear you saying - how much mullah will they be?

Well buggered if I know... suffice to say that they will be at "mates rates" if you are registered on Guzzitech - all others will be bled dry for the pleasure of owning a set.

That will have to do for now, there is no commitment from you, all I need is a PM saying "yes I will be intersted if the price is right" and I will tot up some numbers to give me an idea of the scale of production required . Then I can see about the price of some aluminium stock and the anodising costs, the time involved and the number of milling cutters I am likely to break given my extensive experience in crashing the mill head into very expensive large blocks of very hard metal.

Yes they will fit the Breva and the Norge, and no I have not done the CAD work for the other logos I was planning, so you will have to be happy with the Guzzi eagle and words for now, but of course you will be able to have it in any colour you like.

So if your interested, please PM me, and I will put you on the list.

Just quietly I am hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew here - the MACH 3 CAM software is an order of magnitude more complex than Desk CNC and at this stage all I have mastered is the "Emergency Cycle Stop" button. :eek:hmy:

For the record here is the list of those interested.

jdgretz - base plate + 4 risers
Githianki
Xenarchi
JohninVT
MGGTL
ndmackay - 1 base plate + 2 risers

I have had some questions about the height of the rise which when I think about it I should have mentioned - well DUUUHHH - you would think that I would have realised that the big question is how high are the "risers"......

Anyway, here is the news.

IMG_0007.jpg

As you can see from the pics the risers are in two parts, base plate and individual side plates, these are stackable as high as you like. When installing them in stacks there are two pins that locate the parts so that they line up perfectly and stay that way. The pic is of the prototype and the final design is slightly different in terms of how they stack, we added a step to account for the step in the OEM bars and the hole pattern for the pin register system is different, in addition the GPS mounting hole (the little one in the middle)is drilled only part way from the bottom by the CNC G Code so you can choose to drill it out and use it, or leave it as is in which case it is invisible when mounted on the bike.

Each one will give 8.5mm rise. you can put just the base plate on it's own with minium rise and the benefit of a nice farckled look with teh logo or add as many side plates as you like for comfort.

On a Breva you can put base + one side plate to give 17mm rise without modding anything except for removing the plastic clamp holding the brake lines at the base of the triple clamp to give the lines a bit of extra free play, another side plate to give a total of 25.5mm will require a longer brake hose, I got mine from Goodridge see this thread HERE

If you ride a Norge, then you can safely put two side plates on without modding anything - Mike Bui's originals were 25mm and AFAIK noone had any trouble with this height, adding a third side plate giving 34mm will probably require a new front brake hydraulic line at least - not sure on this height on a Norge. Of course any height is achievable, just the more you go the more mods required to brakes and wiring.

I am currently working on two additions to the kit, an adjustable angle system for the bars and a anice round plug, probably with more logos engraved to cover up the gaping hole where the fork pre-load adjusters are. More on these later - knowing me, probably MUCH later. :unsure:

Re:Breva/Norge/Sport Bar Risers de Oz

Had a question if the risers will fit a Sport 1200. Not thought of this before :(

BUT, good news - I just had a look at some pics of the Sport 1200 bar mounting system and indeed there is no reason why my risers will not fit that I can see.

For those on The Far Side of The World (with apologies to Patrick O'Brian) There is no problem sending the risers direct to your door - Australia Post is cheap!

Mike - put me in for a set including two top risers and as I'm down in Sdney you can throw them over the fence - thanks Paul

Thats easy, a couple of washers under the top 2 holes will tilt the bars back nicely!

Hey guys, we've had a change of plan.

I have decided that I can't be bothered with the fancy shape and nice anodising and not to mention the logo has gone the way of the dodo. Instead if you send me your address details, I will post you a set of nice squared off ally pieces, some paper templates, a file and a couple of drill bits. You will need to supply your own drill and a bit of elbow grease - let me know how you get on will ya.

THe Minister recons this is more in keeping with the Guzzi tradition of making mechanics out of bike riders, and keeping up the Italian way of supplying parts that are design engineered to work only after a suitable amount of "adjustment" and swearing. :p

Nah, just kidding. As you can see a pile of ally came yesterday arv. Nearly busted a fuffa valve lifting it into the car. Ally grade is 6061 T6 for those what are interested.

Now the problem is to get time to turn a significant amount of that ally into chips on the shed floor.

Back