• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva/Norge/Sport - Bar Risers de Oz

I'd be interested in a base plate with a pair of side plates as well...
Thanks,
Norm

Re:Breva/Norge Handle Bar Risers de Oz

The list as it stands

jdgretz - 1 base plate + 4 risers
Githianki - 4 risers
Xenarchi - 1 base plate
JohninVT - 1 base plate - black/silver
MGGTL - TBA
ndmackay - 1 base plate + 2 risers
Troyano - 1 base plate + 4 risers - Black/Gold
dkwracer - 1 base plate + 2 risers
Cat City Rider - 1 base plate + 4 risers - Black/Silver

do we need to specify the plates as well?

I only need one coz I'm not changing any of my lines.

adam

:)

You can put the base plate and one riser (just) and not change anything.

I can make a base plate a bit thicker (9.2mm rather than 8.5) for you if that would be better.

At this stage I don't need final decisions, I am going to make up the pile of ally that I have. WHen I send them away to get anodised you will have to decide on colours so that will be decision time.

I'd prefer a thicker base plate if possible. I just need enough height in order to rotate my 1200 Sport bars back without the switchgear hitting the tank. Black with silver lettering for me please :woohoo:

Not being pushy or anything but do you think this is something that could be done in the next couple weeks? The riding season in New England will be coming to an end shortly. I am in for a set regardless of the timing but the sooner the better. Thanks for tackling this.

OK updated the list above.

John

You can put as many side plates as you like - the bars won't hit the tank.

Yetserday I test ran the G Code files in the new MACH 3 controller software and it threw up a heap of errors, so looks like we are going to have to re-do the code that controls the mill. I am hoping to start cutting this weekend.

Ok Third time lucky with this post - went AWOL twice now, must have hit submit at a bad moment in the forum upgrade process.

Anyway

News.... Taaaddddaaaaa

Tuesday we got the G Code to run. That's the code that makes the cutters go where they should, I am an expert in writing G Code that causes the cutter to try to machine enourmous gouges in things that shouldn't have enourmous gouges in them, so this was indeed a moment for celebration. We had been using a generic Fanuc post processor for Mastercam but it was throwing up errors, so with a bit of a re-write all was good except Mach 3 wasn't happy. Eventually found an option in the preferences for the software that was set to calculate arcs and radii in incrememental mode rather than absolute, changed it and viola - we are ready for lift off.

So what's next.

First the aluminium stock has to be stress relieved in our oven by heating up and then allowing it to cool veeeeeeeeeeeery slowly several times. This process will remove any latent stresses in the material from when it was stretched during manufacture, without doing this there is a very real possibility that the longer plate will warp when I machine half the thickness off it in the middle - something I am sure would cause swearing.

Then we will be ready to make a mess on the shed floor..

More later, gotta go to work.

Hi Mike and all!
I have sent you a pm asking for some info about those bars. I would like to have a base and four single plates for my Norge, and would like to know how much this will cost. Although my real issue with my bike is the distance between me and the bars. I would like to know if they will be closer to me apart from being higher.
Thanx in advance for your time and effort!
Greetings from Spain
Chus.

G'Day Chus, Lucky you posted as well - no PM came!

Added you to the list.

How much? No idea, but will definitely be at "mate's rates".

Position: The final position of the bars will be closer to the rider by virtue of the rake angle in the triple clamp. It's not a lot, but I certainly notice it on the Breva - my elbows have a much more confortable bent position rather than being stretched out.

Colours: spoke to the Anodisers today - colours available are Red, Gold, Blue, Black, Green and Natural. The Logo can be in any colour you like.

Ok, if there is an improvement in the final position I am definetely in for the bars. Colour would be gold for the base plate and the side plates and black for the logo. I dunno know what happened with the pm but, knowing me, I suppose I did something wrong :oops:
Looking forward to hearing from your news soon ;)
Cheers, Chus.

Thought I should bring the project up to date - been working on it in the shed all day today. But before that I have to say that we have had some trouble. After spending about $3500 on the Mill (a price for which I could have almost bought a new one) it is still playing up....... so today I installed a smooth stepper (look at http://www.warp9td.com/) and also found out that all the bearings in the spindle are probably shot when I found that the cutter was vibrating all over the place like a demonstrator on the counter in a sex shop.....

Anyhow we are making progress.

so here is a bit of a looksee at the process involved.

1st we set the jigging system on the table and square it up.

Attachments

• mikec_0001.jpg
    mikec_0001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 392
next we set the zero point in the software to the centre of the hole in the middle of the jig. This is so that the programming code moves the cutter in the right direction and space.

Attachments

• mikec_0002.jpg
    mikec_0002.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 390
next we drill the mounting holesand some 3mm holes that will be used for locating the work piece when I turn it upside down to do the other side and also as locators so that the risers stack perfectly aligned when installed on the bike.

Attachments

• mikec_0003.jpg
    mikec_0003.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 390
Then the fun starts, took all day to get this first one out and the GCode has several little problems that make running it a bit difficult, and not least is the vibration in the cutter head which will need to be attended to before doing too many more as it was making such a howling noise that I expected the thing to fall off the bench and thrash itself too pieces any moment...

Attachments

• mikec_0005.jpg
    mikec_0005.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 390
So after a full day working on it this is where we are at, I can tell you that I am no production machinist :roll:

One main plate is about half made, there are some "issues" but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of hand filing and "adjustment"

I have to say at this point - don't hold your breath for them to be all finished, sorry to say it but better to be up front about it as there are some problems that need to be sorted out and worst of all is a definite lack of time at the moment - something to do with Xmas, a kitchen renovation, a hoped for soon PCV install and a three week bike trip to prepare for.... I'll do them as fast as I can, but be aware that there is NO obligation, if your on the list I will make one for you, but if when it is ready you no longer want it - absolutely no probs...

Here is the final result of todays effort.

Attachments

• mikec_0006.jpg
    mikec_0006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 394
What? You mean to say that you haven't dedicated all your free time and some of that which is supposed to be devoted to work completing this project? How could you??? :eek:

It's a shame you are having such problems with the lathe - but I'm sure you'll get them sorted out sooner or later. Keep me in line - I'm looking forward to the risers.

jdg

Back