• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Should I buy a Stelvio with SERVICE message?

insecteater

Just got it firing!
Hello all this is my first post, thank you for being.
Yesterday I inspected a 2014 Stelvio NTX with 8Kkm on the clock, is seems in excellent condition. The only relevant modifications are a Staintune muffler and a tomtom GPS mount. It's not a bargain, but a fair price for a fully functioning bike.
I noted that the lower part of the screen reads SERVICE when the ignition is turned on, but disappears when the bike starts. I haven't yet ridden it, but it seems to run well.
I have read many threads about clearing codes, failing oil pressure senders, leaky sump gaskets, brake and clutch switches that seem to be related to problem codes.
However, the owner's manual (for a 2012 model) also states: "If warning lights or the SERVICE icon light up for short periods of time, this does not indicate malfunctioning."
Is the illumination of SERVICE at ignition on indicative of the presence of a fault code, or is this normal?
Does the fact that it disappears mean that it is insignificant and can be ignored - or this a misreading of the owners manual in this circumstance.
If it is likely to be an issue that requires diagnosing, what should I be prepared for. (Note that Motomoda is just down the road, so I would probably just put it their hands to sort out).
Or should I walk away....
I would hate this, as I've been waiting a long time to buy one.....

Last edited:
Sounds to me like it needs a service if the service light is on! On the V7 it comes up with MAINT on the dash when it needs a service, that message goes off once riding

Thanks Hippo-drones. I'm unfamiliar with the dash and terminology for it. I understand that the need for maintenance is indicated by a spanner icon, but I could be wrong. It has 8000km on the odometer, so I'm not sure if this relates to a service interval, What I'm talking about is the word SERVICE showing at the bottom of the dash, not a spanner icon.

Is the seller a private party or dealer of some sort?

I would not be especially worried about that SERVICE signal, but I would ask present owner and if that person doesn't know -- :think: -- they surely should let you run the diagnostic error sequence. A bit user-unfriendly at first, it's soon second nature and easy.

I'm not a Stelvio guy, but think a search here (G/T) should reveal the code to enter that and how to do it from there.

[Edited to add: As here: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/service-codes.917/ ]

Within minutes, you'll see active and "stored in memory" errors for ECU and dash, and be able to clear those.

Again, while no doubt maddening, I doubt if this is a serious matter. That seemingly casual attitude is from a guy who's seen the oil lamp, so I am not cavalier about dash warnings! :(

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I'm feeling more reassured that it is not likely to be a problem that should dissuade me from buying the bike. The mature gentleman who owns the bike has a 30+ collection of bikes, most of which probably have little more than a magneto, a coil, and half a dozen wires. He thought the SERVICE was indicative of scheduled maintenance, based on time.
Tonight I will try to remotely talk him through how to access any codes - which may or may not go smoothly, as I will be translating what I understand from the owners and workshop manual but not having ever done it myself. He has also indicated that he would make right any existing problems with the bike, and I feel that he is a man of his word. So feel doubly more comfortable about proceeding with the purchase.
Having previously bought a Cali 1100 that fried some of its electrics due to a dead voltage rectifier a week after purchase. I feel nervous about finding myself in the same situation again.
However, I'm hearing that it may very well be one of the simple common issues, or at worst, something that will take some time to isolate through trial and error, and that in either case it is not likely to be particularly expensive to resolve.
I'll see if there any codes and take it from there.

Ask how long the previous service was (in miles) and calculate the the difference from the current odometer reading. If it's a typical service interval (6,000 miles) then that will be just indicating a service is due. The owners manual should tell you how to reset it.

Thanks kiwi dave. The first service was stamped at 1100km, current odometer is 8130km, so, at 7000km since the last service, I assume that this message isn't related to the 10Kkm service interval.

Last edited:
When it is due for regular service, a wrench (spanner) will appear in the lower left of the screen. If you are seeing the word "Service" you should do as Bill suggested and see what codes are present. Get back to us on those codes and we should be able to tell you more.

Back