• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newer Small Block for 2015?

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
More words coming down the line is that we will see a new/updated "middle" sized engine for 2015. Details are vague, but it will likely include a small bump in capacity over the current 744cc version. Nothing noted as to it being water-cooled or multi-valved.

What would you like to see as a current or prospective V7 owner/buyer?

I'd like a scrambler style bike. And/or a "standard" style bike, like the Classic. Funny how few brands offer a standard anymore.

I also want Guzzi to keep the Heron head on the smallblock. I like that it's a evolutionary throw-back, and it improves real world riding with better low to mid rpm torque.

sign216 said:
I'd like a scrambler style bike. And/or a "standard" style bike, like the Classic. Funny how few brands offer a standard anymore. I also want Guzzi to keep the Heron head on the smallblock. I like that it's a evolutionary throw-back, and it improves real world riding with better low to mid rpm torque.

Yeh, who wants a DOHC "Duc" engine that develops all its horsepower between 9000-12500 rpm?

I prefer riding a John Deere-like thumper to an Osterizer blender.

'Geezer

M0T0Geezer said:
sign216 said:
I'd like a scrambler style bike. And/or a "standard" style bike, like the Classic. Funny how few brands offer a standard anymore. I also want Guzzi to keep the Heron head on the smallblock. I like that it's a evolutionary throw-back, and it improves real world riding with better low to mid rpm torque.

Yeh, who wants a DOHC "Duc" engine that develops all its horsepower between 9000-12500 rpm?

I prefer riding a John Deere-like thumper to an Osterizer blender.

'Geezer

Geezer,

I blame the magazines. All they talk about is max hp at redline, and who can do the fastest quarter mile, etc.

In truth, we can all comfortably break the speed limit. How much more do you need at redline?
Nice riding is having torque in the real world.

Joe

You folks seem to be making a sh&t load of assumptions about the power characteristics of a motor that we know absolutely nothing about. Just maybe a new or different head design will equal or surpass the torque we all love.... Jeeeeezz, give it a chance will ya.

Paul

I think a 800cc hemi head injected air cooled engine would be an advancement
Picture this ... 800 Monza , 4 or maybe 5 valve radial head , carc shaft and a seat that is actually comfortable !!
My V7 classic seat is pants on the comfort side !! B)
Keep the rocker cover design in keeping with the small blocks origins tho :cool:
I really like the small block motor but it's inherent design is so limiting :(

If I wanted all that hi revving stuff, I woulda bought a 675, 95 hp, Triumph, that is even cheaper than the V7R. A friend has one that I've ridden and it is awesome if you're looking for the best performance out of a small engine. They do pretty much everything right. But I was looking for Guzzi tractor power. It works for me. My problem with the new Triumphs and most of the other new bikes is they look like some Star Wars Galactic Fighter or some such. Most of which I find rather butt ugly. I want a motorcycle that looks like a motorcycle as they were 50 years ago.
Guzzi works fine for me!
Bare

This is easy:
- an accurate fuel warning light
- roller tappets
- dual discs up front
- a Racer without the chrome
- attractive alloy rims that I can put real tires on instead of the bias ply and spokes (current Stone notwithstanding).
- maybe an oil cooler or a bigger sump

I for one love to see a mix of old school with modern tech. Moto Guzzi needs to stay current. look at how desperate Cadillac and Buick are trying to re-image since they realized their returning customers weren't staying alive. I'm 31 and I'm not ready to die yet. Long time Guzzi owners are so annoying...(no offence.. just my opinion...and who am I right??) cause they are either stuck in the past or trying to relive their youth. I love the classic style motorcycle, but really the technology is out there where all of us can have what we want. I like a air-cooled V-Twin, I Like classic style, I like lightweight, I like decent low end power, I like a strong mid range power band, and I also like a engine that will pull to its redline with conviction. The Smallblock making 50hp is sad. it falling on its face after you pass 6000 rpm is sad. And NO I don't want to buy a Ducati, or a gsx-r...I love the V7, but all I want is alittle more for the times when I ask for it. There is room to keep a style and tradition while still embracing improvements. Kind of like Porsche...ever heard of them?

this is what I would like..

oil cooler
another brake disc
6 gears
wider rear tire
better suspension

800cc 8V small block air cooled
70-75 hp. decent low end, strong mid range, pulls to its limiter at 8500 rpm.

now that would be a delight to cruise, and rewarding when you decide to kick its nuts.

Instg8r said:
oil cooler
another brake disc
6 gears
wider rear tire
better suspension
now that would be a delight to cruise, and rewarding when you decide to kick its nuts.

Funny you just nearly described the Bellagio, which isn't available here, and if they'd just drop the V7 bodywork on it, they'd have a real winner:

Attachments

• V9-CR.jpg
    V9-CR.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,023
GT-Rx® said:
Instg8r said:
oil cooler
another brake disc
6 gears
wider rear tire
better suspension

Funny you just nearly described the Bellagio, which isn't available here, and if they'd just drop the V7 bodywork on it, they'd have a real winner:

that is a beauty...I would love that...shut up and take my money MG!!!

The Bellagio has about 70 lbs more. Lightness is a big part of the smallblock attraction. Given then choice, I'd keep the 744cc and stay lean and svelte.

Who was that who said "add lightness."

sign216 said:
The Bellagio has about 70 lbs more. Lightness is a big part of the smallblock attraction. Given then choice, I'd keep the 744cc and stay lean and svelte. Who was that who said "add lightness."
Funny. My Jackal weighs 450 lbs, full of fuel/ready to ride. I'm guessing the V7 is close to that fueled up.

motorcyclespecs.co.za has the '13 V7 Special wet weight at 179kg (395 lbs)

although I thought I heard somewhere that was the dry weight....

so lets say it is the dry weight..

tank of fuel is about 35lbs -- the tank holds 22L which is above average fuel load.
oil and brake fluid.. 5lbs??

we are looking at 435lbs with a brimmed fuel tank. that weight could probably be trimmed down 10 lbs with mods (slip on's) maybe....

this is assuming that motorcyclespecs.co.za is has the weight specs in correct...

Matt

Matt, better count on 450# for a real world weight. i weighed mine on scales accurate to .1 lb and that's what I got.

Peter Y.

pyoungbl said:
Matt, better count on 450# for a real world weight. I weighed mine on scales accurate to .1 lb and that's what I got.
Peter, you did?

Kev M said:
I think MCN weighed the new V7 and got something like 430-something #'s.
http://www.ridermagazine.com/style/stan ... rated.htm/ - rates it at 435# wet.

I'm disappointed to see CW doesn't show wet weights any more, as I used to do them myself for the stories/mag earlier last decade. We'd ride them 150 yds. to the gas station, fill them, and bring them back and put them on the scale. Was about as real as it gets. Using this same scale and method, I weighed my Jackal in ~'05, and got 457 lbs... with a then huge boat-anchor of a lead acid battery in place.

My 450 figure is from memory but it's not far off. I had been thinking in terms of the sub 400 figure tossed out by Guzzi until there was some talk elsewhere abut weight so I ran both bikes over the scales to get a no BS number for myself. My bike has aftermarket windscreen, centerstand, and rear rack so they add a bit to the number, but not a huge amount.

As for the Bellagio, it looks like a big block with smaller displacement. Single side swingarm is a plus for me. From the photo I'd guess that it still has the nose mounted alternator rather than a higher capacity unit mounted between the jugs. I fear that by the time a similar bike hits the market it would be up around the 575-600 pound level and then one may as well spring for the NTX. If Guzzi would just punch the SB out to 800cc, give it a 6 speed tranny, and offer a serious suspension upgrade...that would be a killer bike.

Peter Y.

pyoungbl said:
My 450 figure is from memory but it's not far off.

As for the Bellagio, it looks like a big block with smaller displacement. Single side swingarm is a plus for me. From the photo I'd guess that it still has the nose mounted alternator rather than a higher capacity unit mounted between the jugs. I fear that by the time a similar bike hits the market it would be up around the 575-600 pound level and then one may as well spring for the NTX. If Guzzi would just punch the SB out to 800cc, give it a 6 speed tranny, and offer a serious suspension upgrade...that would be a killer bike.
Thanks for the weight info... and the Bellagio's big block 935cc (1200 crank and 850 pistons) weighs in at 524 lbs ready to ride according to bikez.com. It was the most interesting blend of old/new that I think will ever come out of Mandello. Literally the front end (frame too) of the California, and the back half (including the trans and CARC assy) of a Griso. I think it would be a HUGE winner based on those who have ridden/owned them. Unfortunately that it's been deleted for good from the line up for 2014 (though it NEVER landed here in N.A.).

32837_0_1_2_bellagio_Image%20credits%20-%20Moto%20Guzzi.jpg

Back