RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we are in the crazy times for orders. Lead times are long, so we can't do much to rush things. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (mainly August), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and also, we aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum before starting a new topic, and as a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

1.5 hrs for break-in service on V7 Racer..?

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Maj Steve Trevor, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Maj Steve Trevor

Maj Steve Trevor Tuned and Synch'ed

What do you all think, can a full break in service be done in 1.5 hours? I took my 2015 V7 Racer in for it's first service, and when I picked it up the service manager said the total was $285. I said, "hmm that's not bad, can you give me a run down of everything you did?" He said sure, "full service, valve adjustment, fluids.." I asked if they re-torqued the cylinder heads, and he answered yes.

Now, I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but it just seems to me unlikely that a full break in service could be done in only an hour and half. Am I wrong..?

hody166 likes this.
  2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

You can have fluids draining while you re-torque and adjust valves. Sounds like you have an efficient wrench.

hody166, Maj Steve Trevor and Trout like this.
  3. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

The break-in service is essentially a full service. And yes: A good, efficient mechanic can do it in an hour and a half, two hours tops, presuming the bike doesn't need to cool down. When I was doing all my own maintenance, I could do it in about the same time on an 850T or LeMans V... same work, nothing different other than adjust the carburetors if they need it. :)

Poppe, hody166 and Maj Steve Trevor like this.
  4. Trout

Trout GT Reference

The more you do something the quicker you can do it especially if you are lazy like me.

hody166 and Maj Steve Trevor like this.
  5. dududuckling

dududuckling Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

Sounds about right... 2.5 hours for me and that includes the first service plus replacing the fuel filter inside the gas tank (which I assume took about an hour). I gave the mechanic my checklist from the manual, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he went through everything one by one.

6. usedtobefast

usedtobefast Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Sounds like you got a great deal! What dealer was that?

The Service Manual for a v7 iii says the first service is 100 minutes of labor, figure a v7 ii would be a bit more for the head re-torque.

Seems my dealer rounded up, and quoted some special fairy dust as I was quoted ~$540 for the first service!

Maj Steve Trevor likes this.
  7. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

very fair but I doubt he went over all the fasteners so you better.

8. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    What Godfrey said about cool down.

When did you drop off; when did they say it was ready?

I am one of those "trust, but verify" sort of folks. If I had any doubts about a dealer's service department, I might leave a "reverse witness mark" on an appropriate fastener to see if it was touched. ;)

Bill

9. Maj Steve Trevor

Maj Steve Trevor Tuned and Synch'ed

It’s Lamoto in Arlington VA. I suppose I am inclined to wonder a bit — they just had a complete turnover in sales and service, apparently at the behest of aprilia. I Scheduled a service for Friday, and they didn’t actually get to it until Tuesday. And not great about communicating. I understand they are understaffed and probably just getting the shop organized, but it does make me wonder about the possibility of a rushed job, trying to catch up on work.

10. hody166

hody166 Just got it firing!

I had the first (1,000km) service on my 2016 V7 II Racer done 2 days ago. The shop charged me for 4 hours labour, telling me that it was nearer 5 hours. Total cost $611 Australian. From all accounts this is about 2 hours too long. The valve clearances were all within tolerance so there was no messing with them either. Thoughts appreciated??? Thanks.

11. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

A full first service on a V7II Racer would have included retorquing the head and setting the valves whether they needed it or not, because the composite gasket used on these engines up to the V7III and V9 requires time to compress to its final 'break in' dimensions. Whenever the heads are retorqued, the valves must be set again.

The V7III and V9 have metal head gaskets that don't require retorquing the heads, which means that the valve adjustment is not disturbed and a simple valve clearance inspection is all that's required.

So that's a bit more time for the V7II service compared to the V7III. What else they do to bring the total out to four plus hours, I couldn't tell you.

hody166 and roadscum like this.
  12. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

They didn't charge him for the time cooling off while oil was draining. No sync w/1 TB.

hody166 likes this.
  13. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

When I had my V7II serviced back in 2015 it cost $250au and that included all oils heads retorqued and valve adjustment.
    I can't believe they charged you $600 that's such a rip off.
    Maybe they got your bike confused with the other Italian DUCATI ?

hody166 likes this.
  14. heyzeus

heyzeus Tuned and Synch'ed

My local dealer told me 4 hours and 540dollars. Seems like a bit much. The valves are so easy to adjust. Oh well I want the dealers first service. The rest might just happen in my garage

hody166 likes this.
  15. Chris Guenther

Chris Guenther Just got it firing!

I just booked my first service for my 17 V7 III, and asked if they check the valves. They said they won't look at them unless they're ticking.

16. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

We are 2.5 hrs and we do above and we go far and beyond the basics based on the knowledge I have accumulated with working on dozens on these bikes, my rental fleet, and this Forum. We are also ~1/4 mile from the Surfliner train station at the Anaheim Stadium stop. Just a thought for you.

dududuckling likes this.
  17. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Ugh. If so, I hope they were done on the PDI for your sake... because it’s when they aren’t making noise is when it’s an issue.

18. Chris Guenther

Can't say I like the sound of that. I was planning to bring the bike in for its first service, and do the maintenance after that myself. I guess I'll be learning how to check and adjust the valves sooner than later.

19. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I wouldn't let them put gas in my tank. they obviously know nothing about Guzzis.

20. Chris Guenther

Got my bike back from it's first service the other day... .55hrs 20190526_120147.jpg