RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

1100 carb air filters

Discussion in 'Spine' started by Ray1150, May 25, 2018.

1. Ray1150

Ray1150 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I bought my sport a few years ago but just can't do the riding position any more.
    Im changing it to a more relaxed position with handlebars and so on but are keeping it so that it can be put back to original.
    I have taken off the fairing & air feeds and air box and will be fitting k&n pods. I'm thinking 4 or 5" long 3.5" wide cylinders.
    Any thoughts here from someone whose done it, BSD who dyno'd another bike for me last year recommended smaller pods, what size new jets should I put in?
    I can do it the hard way but any advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    R

2. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I used to put the separate oval K & N's on them, they ran better than Guzzi's so called ram air. Jetting depends on your exhaust you have. Good place to start is Euro jetting not US. On the Centauro's/Daytona I used an angled Uni filter dual stage foam. To use those they need to go on tubes going into airbox.

3. Ray1150

So what %age increase in jetting did you use for the air filters and what size pods, forgetting the exhaust for a minute. Obviously sport is 2 valve.

4. V700Steve

If you use Uni pods they were 31/2" angled 2 stage from their cataloge , can't remember the inlet size but they were for a go kart. 20yrs + ago before I had a laptop or computer, wrote stuff in a manual. The K& N's are readily available at normal MG suppliers.
    I started w/Euro jetting and read spark plugs till I saw what I needed. I think Todd here has jetting numbers for members here somewhere.

5. Ray1150

OK, moving on. I used to use a Gunson carb tune, is there anything better about now to help with jetting?

6. V700Steve

I use a Gunson glass bottom spark plug for dialing in the idle mixture circuit even on all the FI models. I like seeing the flame not after the fact w/sniffer in pipe.

7. Ray1150

Doing more research somewhere to start is;-
    running a modified exhaust but standard airbox idle 57 to 60, main 152 to 160, 5.2% increase.
    I ended up buying 5" x 3" pods (already have mistral x over and silencers) on the basis if they are too big I can block them up inside.
    I've welded up a rack and grab bar for the rear of the bike (Mrs has spine problems) and am now working on the front end fitting a 7" headlight with a nosecone fairing to tuck in the instrument panel, plenty of room with the electrics need to make longer choke, throttle and clutch cables and also brake hose. Once it's all together I'll strip it and get all my fabricated bits powder coated. Still a bit of time before I hit the starter button. Be ready well in time for the 100th at Mandello.

8. Ray1150

Quick up date, great to be back on a Guzzi again. There's just something about them. I live in north London and to test the bike rode over to Ypres in Belgium for the last post on Saturday night, back on Sunday, highly recommended for those of you close enough to get there.
    Speedo packed up almost immediately, no worries, I had a TomTom bracket installed with a battery connection. There also was a small oil leak coming from the timing cover. I'd had to rush a bit to finish as a job had come up with an asap start so no time for niceities. The MoT had highlighted a balding front tyre so I'd put on a T31 which wore in nicely over the 300 mile trip. The renthal low rise bars limited the speed to about 80mph as I couldn't hang on any faster without hugging the tank! The couple I was with had left home at 4.00 in the morning to meet up at Dover so we took the fastest route to Ypres after the ferry. Coming back on Sunday morning on my own I took the slow route taking in some lovely roads and villages, go to Cassel if you are passing anywhere near, really beautiful village on a hill. Anyway, I'd fitted 155 mains and K5 needles, it was running far too rich, this combined with my remembering the tank on my Stelvio was 18l (nearer 15l on the Sport) meant I ran out of petrol. What a cock! €40 spent on a taxi to a filling station and back and a can that I gave to the taxi driver. Once back in Blighty there was torrential rain all the way home, bike was faultless and that new front tyre seemed a good investment.
    I've left the mains in and gone back to the stock needles, still monitoring this. Fitted a new speedo gearbox and cable, one a bit tired the other broken, new fuel level sensor (doh) and it was the crank oil seal that was weeping slightly so I replaced that.
    Once the fueling's sorted I've got a fast reliable Guzzi that doesn't cripple me every time I take it out.
    Better change my avatar when I get a good pic of the Sport.

9. johnno

johnno Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Very interesting read

10. V700Steve

Ray, I did find a set-up I did on one of them, in my book. Try a K8
    https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/set-up-for-40mm-phms-on-an-1100-sport.19110/