Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

'13-15 V7 Over-charging? PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 16, 2016.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Yes, if they do and can, snip the wires closest to the regulator, so I can then wire the leads directly into the new MOSFET VR plugs.

2. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Did you buy your kit from roadstercycle? V7 has six wires coming out, how does that work? Also, circuit breaker or maxifuse version? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. 99sh

99sh Tuned and Synch'ed

Bought mine from this seller (there are many others if you search): http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-SHIN...hash=item58a3ccf7ca:m:mkhmKfGHbRfG_5CQV4NlU0g

For $120 shipped, it comes with everything you need. I already had some AL sheet laying around, so cutting was no big deal (made a template from cardboard first to get shape down). No need for any circuit breakers, the VR output goes to your fusebox already.

4. francod123

Awesome, thanks. Wiring is not my strongpoint at all, and I'm still not 100% sure how to do this. You're basically cutting off the 6 leads from the old VR, then soldering them back with this kit onto the new Shindengen unit and that's it? (besides needing a adapter plate to mount) Any trouble with which wires go where? Thank you.

5. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

HOLD THE PRESSES! the 2015 and 16 have 7 wires. the white plug has 3 big yellow ones not 2. About 12 gauge. the black has 2 red with white stripe and 2 solid green. my guess 14 gauge.
    other things I have seen compared to a 2013 are different rear shock mfg. with totally different springs and one adjusting color. air filter is under the seat with I think 4 screws to hold on cover similar to a Stelvio. at least it shows the MFG is making some changes for the better.

6. 99sh

99sh Tuned and Synch'ed

Wiring is extremely easy. There are two connectors, one is a 3-pin, other 2-pin

The 2-pin connector is the Battery positive & ground
    The 3-pin connector goes to your stator (yellow wires)

Note: my 2013 has a 2-phase stator, hence has 2 yellow wires. Most bikes (suspect the newer V7s) have the usual 3-phase stator. If you have a 2-phase unit, connect the 2 yellow wires to any of the 3 pins. If you have 3-yellow wires stock, you have a 3-phase unit and will connect each yellow wire to each pin on the regulator (order doesn't matter).

CARR5925-FH012AA-FH020AA-Yamaha-spanningsregelaar.png

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Stradagene likes this.
  7. francod123

Thanks. I have a 13' V7 as well so should be as easy as you say.

8. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

did mine today. first I used the adapter plate from roadster cycle but then the VR fouled the engine guard bar so I just elongated the stock VR mounting holes; now everything clears. the plate will work fine if you don't have "crash bars"
    the wiring is very basic and simple. just some soldering and crimping; not very technical.
    the worst part is getting the tank off and fishing the old connectors out; its fiddly work
    the mosfet unit is longer than the stock unit and the wires are a very tight fit around the front engine cover
    I have a steady 14.2 volts now instead of 15.5

9. GT-Rx®

OK, sounds like you have it all figured out for everyone. So I'll bow out of this project now. Far too many irons in the fire.

10. Emir

Emir Tuned and Synch'ed

My English is not enough to understand all the techinacl terms so i have to ask directly. Is this overcharging issue occurs on the 2. generation of V7. I recently bought a brand new 2015 model yerar V7Racer II and wonder taht i have to check the power charging values ?

11. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

My V7 II is "OK". I believe its as high as 14.7v at 3K RPM. Yours may be OK as well, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

12. GT-Rx®

Although the V7 II's arriving here seem to be OK, I would, per the post below...

13. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

We have it figured out? News to me. I just thought I saw a lot of confused people with different possible solutions.

I for one wouldn't mind a single vetted source.

Mosfet? SHINDENGEN FH020AA? V7II OEM?

Do we really have a "recommended" solution?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Wisconsin v7 Racer likes this.
  14. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Sort of like final approach on instruments and the radio frequency is blocked by some hard rock FM station.

About as clear as mud.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the extra wire.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  15. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Same opinion here. I'm not familiar with this stuff and was hoping for Todd's plug n play system. If not I guess I'd buy the cut n crimp yourself one but I would have someone help put the wires together just so I new for sure they were done to high standards. Either way I would be most comfortable ordering from Todd so I know for sure it is the right stuff.

Motofoto likes this.
  16. 99sh

99sh Tuned and Synch'ed

Recommendation is the Shindengen FH020AA VR, which is a MOSFET unit. It's also OEM on a lot of bikes.

Post #136 has the wiring
    Post #133 has one source for ordering (many others out there).

No extra wires. Just crimp and go.

BenRCMC likes this.
  17. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

I'm just going to the old tried and true zanier diode and rectifier method. Or just mount the freakin battery out into the airstream.

18. GT-Rx®

Per drlago and 99sh posts, seems an easy solution is already out there.

19. francod123

I think Todd just bowed out because it seems people want to remedy the situation as soon as possible and folks are just looking to buy it asap since Todd couldn't source the oem harness and said himself that he wasn't 100% sure about which way to offer and then offered to have folks ship their harness out, which turned off some, so folks just flipped their shit and left Todd in a billow of smoke and dust and ordered elsewhere, so Todd said fuck ya'll, I'm out.

As stated above, the Shindengen FH020AA is apparently the most recommended unit and probably the one Todd was going to offer. There are places to buy online already that have kits that are straightforward. Per the ebay link of post 133. I am going to order mine from roadstercycle, the same kit seen in the ebay link. Crimp and solder and fabricate a mounting plate and you're done. Luckily I have a drill press and all that at my work garages, so makes it easier.

Stradagene and GT-Rx® like this.
  20. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

I guess it wasn't clear THAT was the preferred solution.

I've got no problem crimping or soldering, then again I would prefer buying a vetted, fair priced part or especially a plug and play kit(meaning doesn't have to be ebay cheap) from a trusted supplier (i.e. Guzzitech).

I'm in no rush. Hell I haven't even tested mine yet lol. Maybe tomorrow...tomorrow is looking good.