RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

1999 Moto Guzzi Bassa

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Desmo007, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Desmo007

Desmo007 Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Stupid question: is this "pressure adjuster" just a typical fuel regulator? If so, can't I just run a frame mounted version instead of this tank style? That way, I could use any vent/input with a pipe and clamp, like this Ducati... :party: Any suggestions on which fuel regulator might work for my application? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Desmo007

And what I've pulled off so far... good Lord.

Attached Files:

3. Desmo007

Hello there -

Would you know if I would still need the fuel level sensor? The PDF was helpful, but I couldn’t figure out if the thing does anything more than tell you that your fuel is low. I’m hoping it doesn’t send the FI box any vital info. Also, I’ve read that I could run an external fuel regulator if I can set one to the correct psi? I’m thinking about using a vent with a pipe vs the built in mount version.

Thank you!

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Fuel sensor not needed.

5. Desmo007

Thank you. I think I’ll have a nipple made to connect to the stock fuel regulator and run a line into a built in vent. I’ll replace petcocks with manual ones. Next would be pods and a commander to get fuel working. I’d like to run the 2 into 1 system but I don’t know if it will fit the square head models. Can I ask for suggestions here, or am I better off calling the MG shop direct?

6. GT-Rx®

Desmo007 likes this.
  7. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yes, one from an earier Guzzi FI system(93-98) or a Ducati that has 3 bar pressure for injectors

Desmo007 likes this.
  8. Desmo007

9. Desmo007

Perfect, thank you!

10. Desmo007

I'm probably killing people here by now, but I'm asking anyway. ; )
    The whole shorter swing arm thing is something I didn't think about. Besides quicker side to side, what else does this do for the current handling? I imagine I would need the entire swing arm, internals etc if I decided to run this set up. From a T, T-3 or Lemans. Is it worth the work?

11. GT-Rx®

Good and I can get you K&N pods (I don't recommend UNI foam). I also recommend leaving the snorkels off of the throttle bodies to the air box in place.

Desmo007 likes this.
  12. Desmo007

As progress goes, I feel pretty confident I'll have this thing rolling by spring. Exhaust ordered, (thanks Todd), tank and seat on the way (Richard of TAB II Classics), brake lines, clip-ons and rear sets are completed. Of course details (like cutting off all the sub frame crap) is still in progress, as well as locating some side covers that will offer a racey look.

Now for suspension. I am running a set of 13 3/8" shocks and was thinking about going to a 13.75 shock to compensate the natural "sag" of the original Bassa. I'd like a straight line across the bike. But I'm also looking into an 18" Sun front and rear (running the ugly tubless set right now) I'm hoping my hubs will work on the new rims... hummmm.

Any thoughts on using taller shocks and a rim with the tubeless hub? I'm concerned about caliper clearance with the spoke going center vs to the edge of the rims...

13. GT-Rx®

13.75” shock is OK on ‘98-01. I recommend sliding the forks up 1.0” in the triples as well. Properly set up suspension is paramount.

Your hubs will work but are costly because of the double nipple set up (been there, done that.)
    3.5 x 18” front wheel is fine. One I did of my good freind Rich’s EV below. A 3.5 x 17” is good as well (my V7-11 below also).

Contact me direct for better pricing on what you are trying to do.

C21680FF-4FD6-4BFC-898B-2426DDB38936.jpeg 9EEDC59E-65BE-4F28-B44C-C3AC695C5502.jpeg

14. Desmo007

I’ll be calling...

15. GT-Rx®

Email only per the big red notice at the top of the screen. ;)
    Info at GuzziTech.com

Desmo007 likes this.
  16. Desmo007

I’m slow.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  17. Desmo007

Um... not sure if this is supposed to go on the bike, or framed on my study wall... BRILLIANT.

42AF7453-4780-4C87-9C2D-7137CBEA1ABE.jpeg

GT-Rx® likes this.