• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Norge gremlins

"The chopstick method made me suddenly hungry. :p Your bike is gorgeous, sounds like a little tweaking and you should be happy for a long time to come."

Thanks. Yeah she's a beauty...but so is my broken Eldorado. Lol.

So when you ran it up at home and got it hot, the neutral light stayed lit. But when you went for a run, the neutral light was off.
Are you sure you are really selecting neutral, as on mine I can push the bike around when I think it's in neutral but switch on the ignition and no light. Caught me out yesterday, pushed the bike out OK, went to start, nothing. Only after checking a few things did I realise the light wasn't on.

"So when you ran it up at home and got it hot, the neutral light stayed lit. But when you went for a run, the neutral light was off.
Are you sure you are really selecting neutral, as on mine I can push the bike around when I think it's in neutral but switch on the ignition and no light. Caught me out yesterday, pushed the bike out OK, went to start, nothing. Only after checking a few things did I realise the light wasn't on."

Thanks but this is something that's happened dozens of times now...not just once or twice but EVERY single time I ride the bike. Yes, one time I left the bike running in neutral for quite some time on the side stand and it kept running...and that's weird, almost like without movement or running through the gears is a factor. I kept waiting for it to die as it was on the side stand...but no. I don't know, I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years though and have owned nearly 50 of them so it's not like I'm unsure I'm in neutral.

Regarding the rear brake, just bleed it normally and get the air out. Mine did this once only and hasn't happened since.

Thanks...I'm hoping for the same result, can't wait till I can focus on the "little things" like stopping. Lol
Being able to ride it for more that 20 minutes without having to come home because if I stop it I'll be stranded is the priority.

Oh, I see no way to replace that neutral sensor without dropping the motor...screw that. Removing the tank and airox won't gain access, and neither will removing the whole swing arm assembly as there is still a frame part blocking.
So my question is this...can I bypass all this crap? Neutral sensor, side stand switch, clutch switch and have a functioning motorcycle....because this is lame.

Side stand and clutch switch should be easy and reasonable to replace. Once those are working the neutral light should not matter. Trying to get around it may cause more headaches than just fixing it. It would be nice if somebody knows how to bypass the switches so you can see if that is the problem. I am not positive on a Guzzi but on Hondas all the neutral switch does is go to ground when in neutral. So grounding it should make the light come on but (disclaimer :think:) don't try it till somebody says that is correct or you look at the wiring diagram.

To start my 2014 Norge with the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in, I have to release the clutch and pull it in again. Not sure if this is the same on the earlier models, but worth a try. Forget if the sidestand also must be up before "double clutching"?

Good luck. Your bike is beautiful.

To start my 2014 Norge with the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in, I have to release the clutch and pull it in again. Not sure if this is the same on the earlier models, but worth a try. Forget if the sidestand also must be up before "double clutching"?

Well that didn't work...I tried, thank you. But I took out the clutch switch and it won't leave me stranded. Yay!

And yes, she is quite a looker...thanks again!

Good to hear you got her running reliably. I do recommend you get everything working as intended. The neutral sensor would be a good winter project. You may be able to lift the battery tray and if necessary ABS unit to get to the sender.

Thanks. It would be nice to get it sorted, and it does seem as if it truly is that sensor but From what I can tell it's located under a section of frame which would require dropping the motor....I'm not down with that really. But maybe a closer look in the off season. Cheers, and thanks everyone!

I don't understand the logic here. You were able to get around the issue by bypassing the clutch switch, but you think the issue is with your neutral switch?
I don't have a Norge, but I am pretty sure it works like all other Guzzi's and you can start it in gear. Going off memory, the neutral switch only plays into it when the side stand is down, at which point you must have the clutch pulled in in order for it to start.
If the neutral switch fails the only thing it could do is require you to pull in the clutch and/or have the side stand up when starting. It can't stop the bike from starting.
If you bypassed the issue by bypassing the clutch switch that tells me the issue you are having is with either the clutch switch or the side stand switch.
Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I see.

I don't understand the logic here. You were able to get around the issue by bypassing the clutch switch, but you think the issue is with your neutral switch?
I don't have a Norge, but I am pretty sure it works like all other Guzzi's and you can start it in gear. Going off memory, the neutral switch only plays into it when the side stand is down, at which point you must have the clutch pulled in in order for it to start.
If the neutral switch fails the only thing it could do is require you to pull in the clutch and/or have the side stand up when starting. It can't stop the bike from starting.
If you bypassed the issue by bypassing the clutch switch that tells me the issue you are having is with either the clutch switch or the side stand switch.
Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I see.

Yes...the clutch switch was keeping it from starting in gear and now it does. It was toast, and literally fell apart in my hand while removing it yesterday. Its now just wired together.
It WAS a combination of that switch not functioning, and when the neutral light goes out when the bike is hot (which it still does) it won't start.
It still doesn't correct the neutral light going out when hot which doesn't matter as long as it'll start in gear...which it does now with the switch gone.

I believe you can replace that clutch switch with one from a Ducati. As I recall the price varies wildly depending on the "bike" it is for.

Ok one more question. Anyone know the symptoms or what I should be on the lookout for regarding the oil pump failure issue on the 2007 Norge? My vin tag info says... 2 2007 which I'm assuming is February 2007...an early production bike that falls within the range of suspect pumps? Until I can track down any previous owner I am left to guess? Do all dealers have access to warranty, service, or recall info if service was carried out at a now defunct dealer? I know...lots of questions.

Thanks again John. Been trying to scour old threads about the oil pump issue...never saw any recall or anything recent(last few years), am I correct in this? How concerned should I be about keeping and regularly riding this February 2007 production Norge with slightly under 15,000 miles? One of the reasons I'm ditching my R1200RT is the specter of possible catastrophic final drive failure. Ugh.

If a dealer can't find any record of the pump replacement it would be a good idea to go in land see if it has been replaced. If not, then you are there to put in the updated pump. I don't know how to tell the difference externally so hopefully someone will chime in.

Back