• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2016 v7 ABS - is it worth it?

Thanks everyone.
So here is the breakdown of available bikes:
All are v7 specials, the 2016 are ABS models.

New 2016 - $10,500
Used 2016 with 980 miles - $8200
2014 Gray with 2000 miles - $6000
2013 Red/white 2000 miles - $5800
2013 Red/white 14,000 miles - $5000 (heated grips & ext. sump).

The only bike that is local is the top one - most expensive.
All the other are from Tennesee, Arizona, California, etc.

It looks loke the $5000 bike of I want to save money and the $8200 bike if I want to get ABS and save a bit.
What do you think? Any words of wisdom or things I'm not thinking about?

Then there's the wild card local 2019 Triumph T100 for $5200.
I started out just looking at Triumph but the MG just got in my head and won't leave.

I'd buy the 2019 Triumph because in 3 years it will be brand new and worth more! :angel:
Any of the above bikes will do you fine. It is a question of what you want and the availability of getting it to you and how much you can afford. Not sure what state you are in relative to the bikes.

Ok, ok. I need new fingers for typing.
That is supposed to be a 2010 Triumph. See, 0 is very close to 9.

Thanks for the excellent suggestionon the Triumph. Now would you like some stock options for 2019?

I like the Triumphs, but if I was going to buy a Bonnie, it would have to be the new ones (Street or T120) for better efficiency, and better brakes (T120). I wouldn't bother dealing with chain maintenance and shim/bucket valve adjustments for the older one at this point.

Of course, I'd probably buy the V7... because that's what I did.

I like the Triumphs, but if I was going to buy a Bonnie, it would have to be the new ones (Street or T120) for better efficiency, and better brakes (T120). I wouldn't bother dealing with chain maintenance and shim/bucket valve adjustments for the older one at this point.

Of course, I'd probably buy the V7... because that's what I did.
Ditto. I considered the Bonnie, but the V7 has more style, and shaft drive.

I was looking for a bike for a long time. I was driving through a subdivision with my family and saw 2 bikes in a driveway that caught my eye (not for sale). I quickly turned around and went and talked to one of the owners. His name was Andy and he owned the Guzzi and his friend had the other which I didn't even look at. I never heard of Moto Guzzi before but I loved the bike and a week later I found a new one and bought it. Same year and model of the one that caught my eye. And I also made a new riding friend. Follow your gut feeling and buy what you like. This is a pic of the 2 bikes that caught my eye that day. 2016 10 06 095506

Well, having left the sensible, bullet proof Triumph in the dust I have negotiated with half a dozen MG dealers and private owners and it come down to this -

New 2016 for $8790 + $625 = $9405
Used 2014 for $5600 (2000 miles) + $392 = $5992

I started out wanting to spend no more than $3800. Wow, have I drifted. Money is an issue but I keep thinking that maybe the warranty and safety of the ABS is worth the thousands extra. But that's a lot of extra money.
Not easy to decide.
I hope nobody from the Triumph forum I was on is reading this.

Well, having left the sensible, bullet proof Triumph in the dust I have negotiated with half a dozen MG dealers and private owners and it come down to this -

New 2016 for $8790 + $625 = $9405
Used 2014 for $5600 (2000 miles) + $392 = $5992

I started out wanting to spend no more than $3800. Wow, have I drifted. Money is an issue but I keep thinking that maybe the warranty and safety of the ABS is worth the thousands extra. But that's a lot of extra money.
Not easy to decide.
I hope nobody from the Triumph forum I was on is reading this.
Buy the new, in blue. You know it makes sense.

I remember when $350 for a very used Suzuki was a struggle.

The new sounds great, but I survived the old Suzuki.

You have to decide what's important to you.

The nice thing about a used one is if you decide you made the wrong decision you lose less money. But... no help here, I love ABS.

IMG 3525 The dealer told me the used 2014 was completely stock but the rear light and directionals look different to me. Does anyone recognize this and if it was a stock option.

Hmm...my eyes are old......the taillight section looks all stock......but not even seeing the rear turn signals. They do make a rear turn-signal relocation bracket that takes them off the taillight and moves them closer to the seat.

FWIW - If I were on a budget I would go for the lower priced 2014. These bikes aren't rocket ships and the stock brakes are fine. This is not saying ABS isn't nice, just that I wouldn't pay extra just to have them if I were on a budget. I had much faster bikes when I was a yute and the brakes were not nearly as good as my 14 V7-R.

FWIW - If I were on a budget I would go for the lower priced 2014. These bikes aren't rocket ships and the stock brakes are fine. This is not saying ABS isn't nice, just that I wouldn't pay extra just to have them if I were on a budget. I had much faster bikes when I was a yute and the brakes were not nearly as good as my 14 V7-R.
I think that the point is not whether the BRAKES are good enough, but whether the RIDER is good enough to use the brakes effectively in a panic stop. I know that many riders think they can, and then some are surprised when they lose it in a panic stop. I'm willing to admit that I'm not totally confident in my braking skills, and knowing that I have ABS on my '16 Stone makes riding more relaxing and pleasurable. That's why I sold my perfectly fine '13 Stone and got the '16. It's money well spent for me. YMMV.

I think that the point is not whether the BRAKES are good enough, but whether the RIDER is good enough to use the brakes effectively in a panic stop. I know that many riders think they can, and then some are surprised when they lose it in a panic stop. I'm willing to admit that I'm not totally confident in my braking skills, and knowing that I have ABS on my '16 Stone makes riding more relaxing and pleasurable. That's why I sold my perfectly fine '13 Stone and got the '16. It's money well spent for me. YMMV.

Sure, I get that ABS is a much better solution. Just it comes with a 50% increase in the budget. Honestly, if I felt I "needed" to have ABS on a bike I am not sure I would be riding.

• If cost was not an option I would buy ABS.
  • If I felt I needed ABS to be safe, I would not ride period.
  • If on tight budget, buy the 2014.
:)
Only my opinion.

Rear indicators are not stock - and look very near the centreline of the bike.
LH silencer looks like it may have overheated? Seen this when a plug cap comes looses and unburnt fuel goes into the silencer and ignites. Also never seen a black heat shield before.
Otherwis looks good.

Concerning ABS / Traction control on bikes - are we producing a generation of new riders who never learn how to power and brake properly because they rely on the electronics of the to do it for them? If they never learn these basic skills they will get hurt if they ride a more powerful machine without ABS / traction control.

AndyB

....If they never learn these basic skills they will get hurt if they ride a more powerful machine without ABS / traction control.

AndyB
But these will become increasingly rarer. You can say the same thing today about riders who don't have the skills to ride older bikes with hand gearshifts, left foot rear brakes, left hand throttles, etc.

Hi Sib, sorry but what you say is wrong.
Bikes with ABS / Traction control are only now coming in. A new 2016 rider may well buy their next (secondhand) bike without them fitted.....hand gear shifts etc were on much older bikes....I would guess the last RH gear change bikes were made 20+ years ago?
AndyB

Not against 'progress' but to ride a motorbike well I think the rider has to be in touch with the surface they are on. ABS and traction control mean that the rider can be very coarse with their throttle and braking and get away with it....up to a point. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think ABS only works above about 10mph. On loose gravel / ice the wheels often lock in the last few mph, so ABS will not help.

Or am I being silly even thinking that people might still ride bike on days when there is ice on the roads??

AndyB

Back