• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

36mm Mikuni Flatslide rennsport back to Dellorto phf 32mm

across

Just got it firing!
I am currently taking my T-3 back from some rennsport mods (for good or bad) but currently I have a pair of big ugly 36mm flat slide mikuni carbs on there. Could I go down from 36mm size carbs to 32mm Dellorto phfs with the bell cranks on top or would that just be a rat nest of re jetting and a step backwards, or should I just go with a 36mm PHF?

Not knowing the other engine mods it is difficult to say. Originally the bike had 30mm square slides, but it depends on the mods you will leave in place which carb would work best.

It has a dual plug head a has been bored out to 1000 cc. all done by the previous owner who had a lot of rennsport mods done.

The dual plug heads have no impact on carb size, just ignition timing. As to carb size, either the 32 or 36 would be OK and you shouldn't need a bunch of jetting changes. I'd start with jet and atomizer sizes near the factor delivered for a 1000cc bike from Guzzi. You may find the Mikuni used jets of similar size. All the carb size really changes is the RPM of best efficiency. There is a spreadsheet in the Download section where you can enter bore, stroke, and carb size and it will tell you the approximate best RPM for efficiency. Then select the size you want based on that. The smaller the carb, the lower the optimum RPM. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/carb-sizer.188/

ok I will begin the research on this. Thank you very much for the information!!! This will probably be a slow process, but I will post any results in hopes it helps another member if they decide to do the same. Cheers

I am currently taking my T-3 back from some rennsport mods (for good or bad) but currently I have a pair of big ugly 36mm flat slide mikuni carbs on there. Could I go down from 36mm size carbs to 32mm Dellorto phfs with the bell cranks on top or would that just be a rat nest of re jetting and a step backwards, or should I just go with a 36mm PHF?
Hi,
Wonder if you still have the 36 Mikunis and, if you'd like to sell/swop?
Carlo Guzzi

I would think that your inlet tract has been enlarged to fit the 36mm Mikuni's, so I would go for 36mm Dellorto's. A 1000cc engine runs fine with that size carb, in fact you could run 38 or 40mm without problems. I know there are Mikuni VM round slide kits with filters and cables for sale, I believe Sudco has them for classic bike upgrades? They might be a little easier on the throttle hand than the Dellorto's as well.

I would think that your inlet tract has been enlarged to fit the 36mm Mikuni's, so I would go for 36mm Dellorto's. A 1000cc engine runs fine with that size carb, in fact you could run 38 or 40mm without problems. I know there are Mikuni VM round slide kits with filters and cables for sale, I believe Sudco has them for classic bike upgrades? They might be a little easier on the throttle hand than the Dellorto's as well.

38 or 40mm could be to large if the heads don't have the large valves like the MK IV and MK V LeMans engines.

Thanks for the technical advice but, my inquiry was whether you still had the Mikunis and, whether you would like to sell/swop.

38 or 40mm could be to large if the heads don't have the large valves like the MK IV and MK V LeMans engines.
For a stock bike I agree, just not for a bike that has been worked on. I ran a 992cc LM2 with 40mm Dellorto's that had 90% of it's torque from 3000 up to 8000rpm. No bogging at lower rpm's. It ran fantastic plus it did a real 46.5mpg at 100mph measured over a few months of 230 mile/day commute. Apart from the heavy throttle I would recommend it. Could the same result have been achieved with 36mm's? I don't know, mine were worn out and they were unavailable at the time, so they gave me a deal on the 40mm's.
In case of the bike of the original poster here, I'd go with the manifold size, not smaller.

Back