• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

4V recall info - READ

To my memory, that would be unprecedented. They always make us order the parts and pay for them and then, if we cross all the "i"s and dot all the "t"s, they will reimburse us, when they're ready to. I hope it's true.

Dr. : to the best of my knowledge, dealers here are not told what lines they should carry - neither brand names nor models. Not now, and probably not then either. (My dealer no longer has a lot of new Guzzis on his floor, for instance ... but he'll order anything a client asks for.)
You won't hear me claim that the Aprilia/Guzzi take-over did *not* affect Piaggio, but what I'm talking about here must have happened earlier than that.
Don't forget that we are dealing with Piaggio Italy, the mothership or one of its local branches. "Bunch of maffiosi" is a term I've heard more than once. Greg's comments don't seem completely alien to that ;)

Oh, and

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Greg: there are supposed to be a number of improvements in parts logistics. Let's hope this is a sign of that!

RJVB wrote:
Dr. : to the best of my knowledge, dealers here are not told what lines they should carry - neither brand names nor models. Not now, and probably not then either. (My dealer no longer has a lot of new Guzzis on his floor, for instance ... but he'll order anything a client asks for.)
You won't hear me claim that the Aprilia/Guzzi take-over did *not* affect Piaggio, but what I'm talking about here must have happened earlier than that.
Don't forget that we are dealing with Piaggio Italy, the mothership or one of its local branches. "Bunch of maffiosi" is a term I've heard more than once. Greg's comments don't seem completely alien to that ;)

Oh, and

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
That is one of my favorite quotes.

And in the US atleast, there were a number of cases relating to Piaggio Group of dealers being told that in order to sell these you must also sell those. They were so desperate to get some of their product on to showroom floors that they would bundle less desireable products (often scooters) with more desireable products (RSV1000). But I am not aware of this affecting Guzzi.

That said, I think Guzzi trying to control information they put out on the web is a bad idea. It can only hurt them. Yes, there were a number of people crying about the cam failure fiasco. But they cannot in any way stop that. The only weapon they have at their disposal to combat that is information on what they are doing about correcting the issue. Honda or Suzuki do not have to react the same way because they are a much larger company with a much better reputation. The reality is that they screw up too, and sometimes they don't even admit it. They might just change they bad design or part quietly and keep going. Kawasaki did that with the cam chain doohicky and Suzuki seems to have done it with their valve stems that were failing in GSXRs (I don't hear of the failures anymore so I assume the parts have been improved). But they never recalled the bad designs, they just corrected the issue for the following year (or some year after that) and kept going. Yes they do sometimes issue real recalls but only when they feel they have to. I give credit to Guzzi for reacting reasonably quickly (esspecially if you consider their limited resources) in this case. Buell is the only other company I have seen that treats its customers as well as this when things go wrong (I'm sure their are others) and they actually have a little bit of a bad reputation because of it (there is irony for you). But I would buy a Buell or Guzzi again, not sure I would buy another Honda or Suzuki.
To everybody who had their Guzzi blow up, Sorry to hear about it. But a wise man once said "Ya pays your money, ya takes yor chances". It is something that could have happened with any other brand. And if it did happen on another brand you may not have gotten the issue corrected as quickly or as fairly.

Do you also have Hugo Weaving's voice in mind when thinking of that quote? ;)

Honda, Suzuki, Kawa ... in a way they make disposables, things "everyone" wants and hence will dispose of when a new model is brought out. They don't need to issue recalls - not doing so just drives sales. Guzzi, Buell and a couple of others are in a different park all-together and GuzziMoto is right: information and openness are paramount. Information that there's awareness about an issue, heck even if it is to say to be careful and watch for specific signs (as they did with the topcase pre-recall). But I'm not holding my breath about that, even if the current phonecall campaign strikes me as exemplary (better even than registered letters).

Dr. - I am not a lawyer and do not aspire to be one. I do know that the US has way too many of them, and that they are way over represented as a profession in the government - that group you say to be worried about. I wonder if they are as mucked up as they are because of all the law degrees running around within their ranks? I also don't buy that most companies don't worry about product liability that much - but to each their own opinion.

Me. I test software for a living. I point out on regular basis where some developer made one or more mistakes. I am fairly good at it.

As the guy said, knowledge is power, and a great many people in industry and governemnt think it is their pervue to limit the access to knowledge by the rest of us. That is why governments routinely prevent the public from having access to government documents - even the ones that are not a security risk if the public reads them - just embarrassing to the pols involved and likely to affect their career in a negative manner. And it is why companies routinely play the 'only official channels' game with information about their products, especially technical bulletins. If they never get published, how the heck would the public know to ask the company about the potential issue? They don't and that is the way the company would like to keep it. Heck, they nornmally fight tooth and nail to avoid a recall and most of them are not up front on potential issues. For them it is a dollars and cents issue. If we tell folks, they will want it fixed or at least looked at to make sure it isn't and issue - that costs money. If we don't say anything, how much do we lose if we get sued? I do beleive that whichever one amounts to the least dollar cost is the generally preferred approach.

Experience has shown me that most large companies and the governemnt do not, in general, have my best interests at heart.

Back