Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

bad luck or stupidity??

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Christhesweep, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Christhesweep

Christhesweep Just got it firing!

Hello does anyone have any ideas about my predicament? I was topping up the oil this afternoon on my 2007 norge, a very frustrating job, at the best of times, I have a piece of1/2" pex water pipe 6" long attached to my funnel, so I can reach the filler in the crankcase,behind the lower fairing its been attached for about 3 years, today it decided to fall off, and Murphys law it dropped into the crankcase!!! any thoughts on its extraction, other than the obvious of removing the oil pan, to make things worse I was due to leave on a week long trip around BC in the morning.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Only option is to drop the pan. Be careful as there are two parts to the pan and screws where the oil filter lives. You will need two gaskets if you have to drop everything to get that line out. Be sure to check a parts manual or workshop manual before you go in there.

3. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Oh my Brother. I feel your pain!

I have used tubing just like that but Duct-tape is used to secure anything to the end of my funnel to prevent this exact thing from happening.

I’m sorry you are going through this. Good Luck!

4. BrianR

BrianR Tuned and Synch'ed

If you know a friendly doc or medical supply store a pair of ear forceps may be your best friend. I also dropped a piece of extension tube into a V11 and as the pipe was still on end the forceps grabbed it and it came out....they are about 9" long and have tiny jaws at the end operated by a scissor type handle and can either grab the tube or be inserted into the end and by expanding can bring it out...good luck

davewrites likes this.
  5. Bill Hagan

Bill Hagan GT Reference GT Famiglia

Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
    I haven't done that (yet) but have used something similar to this ready for such tasks:

grainger.com/product/19LZ12?cm_mmc=PPC:BingPLA-_-Hand Tools-_-Inspection and Retrieving Tools-_-19LZ12

Versions are all over the place, from HF to Amazon to down the street.

Bill

6. davewrites

davewrites Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Yup, my first thought was M*A*S*H and Hawkeye Pierce...

[​IMG]

I don't know how it came to be, but I have a pair like the above at home. They've come in handy for home surgery, plumbing and some minor motorcycle repair. Everyone should have a pair in their home.

john zibell and Mayakovski like this.
  7. Christhesweep

Thank you for the reply's, I have tried everything, flexible pickup tool with light so I can see, also a flexible inspection camera, unfortunately there is hardly enough room to get both bits of kit in the filler hole, and not enough room to maneuver when you do, the flexible pickup tool was good, but the offending bit of tube is lying diagonally across the bottom of the oil pan and would not move enough to grab one end. just ordered both bottom gaskets (sigh) now I wait for delivery! and then remove the oil pan. oh well, we all learn lessons the hard way!! I have just got a funnel from Princess auto its a Measu funnel, sku number 8099673 so no more *uck ups I hope,
    if anyone is interested I made a dipstick removal tool from a length of 1/2" copper pipe with a shaped slot in one end that matches the top of the dipstick, crush the top end flat so you can use pliers to loosen dipstick if required, the dipstick cant fall off because the slot in the tube is key shaped, as the top of the flat finger grip on the dipstick is wider at the top and bottom. seems to work,and it fits under the seat.

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/stucchi-luigi-oil-extension-tube-dipstick.1429/

9. Bill Hagan

The operative word in my reply yesterday was "yet." ;)

In the "too weird to be real" (in several respects), after reading about your plight, and, apparently not considering the consequences of my own folly, I managed to have the long end of a baster decide to separate from the top and visit my Stornello's innards. :eek:

Yes, incredible. :banghead:

I guess that not only great minds think alike, but also small ones. :giggle:

I am now engaged in dropping the sump to retrieve same as my "grabbers" failed. Besides, I was a bit concerned over marring some polished parts in the bottom end.

Bill

10. scottmastrocinque

OMG Bill!

Bad luck is often contagious!

Hopefully you will have a easy extraction.

john zibell and Bill Hagan like this.
  11. BrianR

BrianR Tuned and Synch'ed

Here is the pair of forceps I have that allow "deeper penetration of a small orifice" (the ear canal for those of you with minds in the gutter), and tips that allow you to pick up pieces that fall into otherwise inaccessible openings

Attached Files:

12. Bill Hagan

Yes, success. I was worried, tho. :clap:

[​IMG]

Bill

13. Christhesweep

Well, its a problem the human race has, we know it can happen and it will be a bugger if it does, (this applies to anything not just Guzzi oil pans!) but we just think no, what are the chances? it'll never happen!, even though you have that niggle in the back of your mind, and usually it never does, until one day Mr Murphy is looking over your shoulder!
    Bill, so sorry you had to find out the hard way what went through my (admittedly) tiny mind when it happened, at least yours is now resolved, Im waiting on gaskets, and still kicking myself. Do you think there will be an upsurge in extended dipstick tubes!!!

Bill Hagan and john zibell like this.
  14. scottmastrocinque

Awesome Bill.

For Bill, I'm not as sure as I am for Chris.

In the future, you could just cut yourself a longer piece of PEX, say 16", and attach the funnel to that. If it separates, it's absolutely too long to fall in to the hole.

I wish you good luck as well!

Bill Hagan likes this.
  15. kiwi croc

kiwi croc Tuned and Synch'ed

Just as a matter of interest, would it do any harm just to leave it there untill the next oil change? I don't see any way it could foul or block anything...probhably wouldn't hardly move or am I missing something ???.

16. scottmastrocinque

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!

If you had ever actually removed the oil pan and looked up, you would see the crankshaft and connecting rods. Having that plastic in there, and the highly likely chance that it would be bounced up into the rotating crankshaft, would be disastrous.

full-17272-16495-46e571025649159e5221bfc397ce96d7_performance_engines_motorcycle_engine-2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    john zibell likes this.
  17. Christhesweep

yes that was my thought, the cavitation from the crank and big ends dipping through the oil would probably lift the tube off the bottom of the oil pan/sump, and the results of that little interaction are not worth thinking about!!!

scottmastrocinque likes this.