Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Cal14 - Self cancelling turn signals

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by roadventure, May 2, 2016.

1. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

;) Yes, isn't it quite funny to make the turn signals self-canceling AFTER 45 SECONDS? That is not helpful, it is dangerous. But, they DO cancel after 45 seconds. I found a road with no other traffic and tested my Custom.

2. roadventure

Den,

I did time the self-canceling feature for time and I was moving (riding) at the time. I have not yet checked for distance (~.3 miles). In either case the time and associated distance is so great to make "self canceling" a non-feature. Other bikes I have owned with a self canceling turn signal feature shut off the turn signal within I about three to five seconds after the turn.

I'll do the turn signal test again soon and pay better attention to the distance and the time.

3. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

I too have thought that seems way too long for this self-cancelling feature to kick in especially if you are going around someone and want to turn back into the lane after passing them. I just discovered (after 1 1/2 months of riding the bike) that all I have to do is push the turn signaler in to shut it off and honestly, I did read the owners manual but somehow missed it.

Dave

4. roadventure

LOL! Yup, seems there is always something new to discover.

5. WroomWroom

WroomWroom Tuned and Synch'ed

I tried it out and it actually does cancel them out LOL. Took almost a whole turn around the neighborhood but they did cancel. And now I can't stop wondering about the thought process behind the decision to make it so useless!

6. roadventure

Agreed. It is a "non-feature".

7. WroomWroom

WroomWroom Tuned and Synch'ed

I think I figured out the reasoning behind the self-cancellation being set up the way it is. In city riding they probably expect you to cancel the turn signals yourself because you're making actual 90 deg turns and such, but it's way easier to forget it on a highway when you're using turn signals to overtake the vehicle in front of you. Since cancellation is distance-based it actually cancels the signal at a nice point in time when going 65mph+ :)

8. roadventure

I disagree. I think they just screwed up. Someone can forget to cancel their turn signal no matter where they are riding.

9. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

I would find it hard to believe there is any "standard" we'd all agree on for length of time based on distance before the turn signal shuts off. Some people take it slow and some let's just say are quicker. I enjoy passing the slow pokes with a quick burst of throttle but with that comes the "long wait" for it to self-cancel. It just seems to take forever and by then, I'm ready to pass another slow poke! I know, I know, just slow down but in my case when you've been riding a roadking for umpteen years and you switch to a quicker (and better) bike (i.e. the 1400) it's tough.

Dave

10. CCosby

CCosby Just got it firing!

Yea I only noticed it did it when I read the owners manual. The bikes will also warn you if you ride on the brake for a long time(first with a warning then I think they will flash some idiot lights). I tested the turn signal feature, don't feel like riding my brakes to test that idiot light.