Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Charcoal Canister Removal - Detailed with Pictures

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by scottmastrocinque, Aug 1, 2012.

1. TurcoLoco

TurcoLoco Just got it firing! GT Contributor

That is what I thought. Since my TBS Sync tool already has the hoses needed, I will just install the vacuum adapters with their caps and be done with it.
    Thank you!

2. TurcoLoco

Curious, what exactly is the reflash tool for?

Also, after removing the canister, is the TBS Sync really needed?

3. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

No a sync is not needed. The reflash tool is used to load a new custom fuel map to the ECU of your bike.

TurcoLoco likes this.
  4. TurcoLoco

Thank you. So, it is like PowerCommander? Does the tool come with a software to create the maps? If not, where do you get them from?

I am relatively new to MG and to this forum so please excuse me if my questions seem silly or redundant.

5. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Hi TurcoLoco, welcome to the Forum. Being new, you'll have to read a bit as we have an immense amount on info that has been covered over and over and over. Depending on where you're at in CA, you might be able to have me do it for you in person for less, without the flash tool. You'll also need to peruse the STORE link above. I'll help you out a little, ECU FT; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/fueling/products/gt-motocycles-5am-7sm-reflash-tool -- more in depth info here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/guzzitech-power-commander-v-information.2686/

TurcoLoco likes this.
  6. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

You don’t have to connect the two throttle bodies together. You can if you like, however I don’t and I do indeed just put vacuum caps over each 6mm vacuum port I installed.

E82087EC-F3BD-4FC4-B2F0-535D7547AC52.jpeg

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    TurcoLoco likes this.
  7. TurcoLoco

Thank you, Scott. That is what I indeed ended up doing! =)

I removed the plumbing for the canister and instead of reusing the existing hoses, I cut about 6' fresh fuel line with 1/4" ID and it seemed to be same to the stock hose and it did fit the nipple on the fuel tank snug enough but I will still use a clamp as well.
    After routing the hose from the skid plate all the way back to the fuel tank, it seems it was approximately a foot too long but I still have the tank off so I will re-evaluate once the tank is placed.
    While peeking around the engine compartment, I noticed a hose coming from the top of the transmission that didn't seem to be connecting to anything. I looked around but there was no suitable connections or ports for it within its range. Does the hose in the attachments (red arrow) connect to anything that I somehow missed?

Side note: I was initially working on installing a new camera system to the bike. As I was assessing where to tap in for power, I realized the 12V cigarette lighter outlet which I never use, offered the connection I needed! It is also on and off with the ignition as well which is great.
    So, unless anyone has any objections, I am thinking I will solder correct size male spade connectors to the camera hardness and that is be that. I can feed the wires coming to the screen thru the same plug as well.

IMG_6686.JPG IMG_6681.JPG

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  8. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Nope. Usually looped up as high as possible and tucked under something that will hold it in place. That is the way Guzzi "vents" the trans. ;)

TurcoLoco likes this.
  9. TurcoLoco

As weird as it seemed, I had a feeling that might have been the case.
    Thank you.

10. TurcoLoco

This is a shot of my '17 Stelvio gas tank connections. I believe I ended up holding and slightly twisting the gray-ish circular retainer thing as i push down the line connector then pulling gently to pop it off.

Barely a drop or two of fuel came out! No burping or farting, at least not from the bike. =)

IMG_6623.JPG

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  11. Thomas D Dirks

Thomas D Dirks Just got it firing!

I'm hoping someone has done this with a 2009 Stelvio. I just have a simple question. The 2009 has the fuel line connected to the tank underneath rather than as shown on the 2012 model. It also does not have the same type of connector. I'm trying to figure out how to disconnect the line with this connector. Does anyone know. I don't want to break it,

12. scottmastrocinque

13. Thomas D Dirks

Thomas D Dirks Just got it firing!

Thanks. I did try Google. I tried the technique in this video and it didn't work for me. Mine will not separate and I don't want to break it by using any more force than I already have.

14. scottmastrocinque

You’re welcome.

We’ll try again...

RULE #1: The red elbow is EASILY BROKEN because it was never designed to have any external force put upon it! At no time during any of this, do you exert any lateral or vertical forces on the elbow itself. IT WILL BREAK EASIER THAN YOU REALIZE. IGNORE THIS RULE AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

MOST IMPORTANT CRITICAL CONCEPT: All of your GENTLE movements ARE ON THE fuel injection line side and involve movement only along the centerline axis of the red elbow connector which actually relieves tension on the elbow.

Procedure and Reasoning

1. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump.

2. Crank engine for a few seconds, it will start and then die, and the pressure will lower in the fuel injection line. Crank it one more time for a few seconds and the pressure within the injector itself will equalize with the fuel line pressure to the lowest pressure possible all the way back to the red elbow.

3. With one hand, from the fuel line side, grip the fuel line and GENTLY PRESS the whole assembly towards the elbow connector until it no longer moves. This moves you off of the locking rim on the elbow connector.

4. With your other hand, GENTLY PRESS the white collar back towards the fuel line, squeezing the entire fuel line connector assembly together. This releases the locking rim pawls on the collar which grab the locking rim, i.e. the latching mechanism.

5. While keeping these two components pressed together, GENTLY WIGGLE the whole fuel line connector assembly (BUT DO NOT EXTERT LATERAL OR VERTICAL PRESSURE ON THE RED ELBOW ITSELF) as you back it away and off of the elbow.

(The video doesn't do #3 the easiest way, because you don't have to push that hard, and it will only move a very small amount, but the outcome he got in the video was the same.​

The important part of the video as far as you are concerned is the elbow connector and what it looks like at the moment the connector is removed {0:59}. You can clearly see the locking rim on the red elbow.

When he shows you the end of the fuel injection hose and white connector {1:01}, you can see the white pawls inside of it that grab the locking ring. I believe that having you actually see what these parts really look like, you will be able to visualize it in your mind as you disconnect it. It will be much easier as you will understand what is happening)​

The trick is to relieve the pressure to the lowest point possible from injector to fuel pump, push the whole fuel line connector towards the elbow, then press the locking collar back towards the fuel line to release the locking pawls, then GENTLY WIGGLE it off the locking ring on the elbow and off of the elbow completely.

The reason you both press the fuel injection hose towards the elbow and then press the collar towards the fuel injection hose, is exactly the same for both - movement of the locking pawls. First you are relieving all pressure being exerted on the pawls. They will no longer be touching the locking rim. Then when you press the collar back towards the fuel injection line, they collar controls the mechanism that pushes the pawls out of the way so you can pass over the locking rim. The gentle wiggle is because the assembly is plastic, and sometimes, the pawls don't retract quite as far as they need to in order to clear the locking rim. By GENTLY wiggling the compressed assembly, you will aid in fully retracting the pawls to their maximum distance away from the center, thereby making it easy for the fuel line connector to clear the locking ring and then be slid off the elbow.

When you replace the line, you press the whole assembly gently onto the elbow and all the way past the locking ring until it stops and will go no further. {This is only possible if you have bleed out the fuel line like we did in Step 1} You want no pressure in the line so the you can press the connector PAST the locking ring so that the pawls fully extend to their maximum seating positions. You then GENTLY PULL back on the fuel line which fully seats the pawls on the locking rim. When the fuel pump is again engaged, the pressure within the line, will add pressure on the pawls against the locking ring, causing the hose to be locked in place with the pawls, via fuel line pressure, and as a result, the red elbow and the fuel injection line become a rigid assembly, unable to wiggle loose.

Good Luck ! You'll get it. Just be GENTLE. It doesn't require any force, only finesse and technique.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    DominoDoggy likes this.
  15. scottmastrocinque

This is why I don't give highly detailed answers like this anymore. The amount of time involved in writing, proofreading, rewriting, spelling and grammar checking, etc...

No reply, no answer, nothing... Nice.

Haven't got a clue if you used this information or not. It took a great deal of effort to extend it to you...

16. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Having broken one of these last spring, I appreciate the detailed instruction for next time. I'll be printing these instructions.

P.S. Printed and added to the Moto Guzzi folder.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    GTM® likes this.
  17. scottmastrocinque

Hey! Thanks Raven.

I'm glad somebody could use it.

I had hoped that somebody who read through the posts, would have noticed this little detail though.

This photo:

IMG_6623.jpeg

But more specifically this part of the photo:

IMG_6623 2.jpeg

Is is EXACTLY like the red elbow fuel line connector EXCEPT the roles are reversed.

The fuel tank here (from a Stelvio) has the CONNECTOR end attached to it, (with the locking collar and pawls both clearly visible) while the fuel injection line just has the ELBOW (black, not red) with the black LOCKING RIM (visible in the space between and behind the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock pawls)

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 12.07.26 AM.png

Seen up close like this, hopefully you can appreciate from an engineering standpoint, how elegant of a retaining system it truly is. When disconnecting either setup using the same proper technique, it's actually very easy and requires no force and more importantly, NO TOOLS whatsoever. It's BRILLIANT ENGINEERING.

So it turns out that if you can operate one, you can operate the other. They are just reversed as to which component they are attached to.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    GTM® likes this.