RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. We're still on mandatory fire evacuation, so we will be slow in any responses via email. Thanks for your understanding.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of hands-on Guzzi-experience on this site, that give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

crossthreaded gearbox drain plug

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Chadlebowski, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Chadlebowski

Chadlebowski Cruisin' Guzzisti

I foolishly cross-threaded the gearbox drain plug on my Stelvio.
    Would helicoil be a viable repair option? Any other recommendations?

2. Chris2jze

Chris2jze Just got it firing!

Mine was already screwed when I bought it and failed when I took it off to change the fluids. I managed to tap the hole one size bigger and bough a new drain plug to match. I actually bought this set off eBay and although is massive over kill, for the price I now have a set of taps and plugs for anything else that needs them. Mine is now fine. Hope this helps.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263382089360

3. boscoman

boscoman Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Good fix if not a bit of over kill. Otherwise yes a Heli Coil will work.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

The key issue is to make sure you drill and tap square into the box so that the sealing washer will work. Be sure to lush out any metal particles that may end up in the gearbox. You may be able to snap the tab on the helicoil with needle nose pliers instead of punching it into the gearbox. Also coating your drill bit and tap with grease should trap the majority of the metal bits.

5. Chadlebowski

Thanks all. I would like to shake the hand of the man who put that plug and centre stand so close together.
    I also noticed that the CARC oil was coming out cloudy; that means water ingress, right? Is it a major concern and where should I direct the fault-finding?

Also - with engine oil. I read that the filter seal should be greased, rather than oiled. Will standard moly grease do?
    Lastly (excuse the novice question): can I refill engine oil through the cylinder heads, rather than through the dipstick cap?

6. john zibell

A regular chassis grease (don't need moly) is fine. You can fill how you like, but I think oil drainage from a head is pretty slow. You could modify a valve cover and install a fill plug like an oil head BMW, but why? Easier to just fill with a long funnel through the dip stick hole.

Chadlebowski likes this.
  7. Chadlebowski

Are folk filling the gearbox with the bike on the centre or the side stand?

8. john zibell

You need to drain the oil on the center stand. If you are filling by the level plug, then on center stand again. I do recommend drain, then measure the specified amount to fill the gearbox. Then it doesn't matter which stand the bike is on when filling.

boscoman likes this.
  9. Chadlebowski

Thanks - I was asking more to get the refill level right; but will measure what comes out and replace up to 500ml.