RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Do I have a problem?

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Gappy, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Gappy

Gappy Just got it firing!

I am finally putting the bike on the road. I have taken the carburators apart cleaned and replaced the gaskets and o rings. NOTE: I did not replace the rubber diaphragm, There was not one in my kit only the rubber gasket that goes under it. Also note that in the diagrams I have seen of my carburators, there is a spring that goes between the diaphragm housing cap and the diaphragm itself which mine did not have or is missing? I put them back together as I found them. I have put new plugs in, set the valves and syniced the carbs.

The bike starts and idles nicely. ( this is my first experience with one of these bike and I don’t know how they are supposed to behave ). The bike spins or should I say thumps up to 3500 - 4200 rpm rather slowly imo, where in 1,2,3 and 4th gears, it runs surprisingly smooth! I am delighted, now I shift to 5th gear and rpms drop and it immediately begins to thump and pound so hard trying to climb back up to the 35-42 hundred rpm range. When achieved it does not run smooth like the other 4 gears. Is this normal ? I can’t go anywhere with it running like this! Could this situation have anything to do with the diaphragm fuel pump and possible missing springs? I have put 100 miles on it hoping things would straighten out, but it just keeps thumping and pounding away in 5th gear and shaking me to pieces , so disappointing. Riding in 4th gear at 59 mph across the country is not going to work. I need your help guys.

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

3. Amboman

Amboman Cruisin' Guzzisti

4. john zibell

Thanks Charlie, I seem to have lost the bookmark Herdan Corp. and a web search came up empty for them. BTW, I did find theses guys in California, but I'm not sure if they do motorcycle carbs. http://usacarbs.com/

5. Gappy

Gappy Just got it firing!

Thanks guys, I used the link to mgcycles and they had the springs and fuel accelerator pumps in stock and I ordered them. Once installed we will see if that will cure my problem. I stumbled across a company that deals with Dellorto carbs and sells all the parts to them but mainly for Ducati, some models use the same carb as Guzzi, Bevel Heaven Products out of California.

6. john zibell

Again I'm going to say that you are shifting to 5th too soon. If you are trying to get up to 35-42 hundred rpm range. That is what your rpm should drop to after making the shift. Guzzi engines like to rev. Don't ride it like a low rpm Harley engine.

Mikko likes this.
  7. Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

John has a good point.
    If I were to ride my '01 Jackal (FI) across the country at 59 MPH, I would do most of it in 4th gear. These bikes are geared for European speed limits, and the speedo is normally about 10+% optimistic. If you find smooth running at about 75 MPH (indicated) in 5th (check your speedo against a GPS), we are on the same page. Personally I love that tall gearing. If your fueling (carburation) is not correct, vibration will be more prevalent.

Trout and john zibell like this.
  8. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Just here to agree with John & Nordicnorm.
    Worst abuse of a Guzzi is lugging the engine.
    Even my Victory likes higher RPM's. If running along at 60/65 I'm in 4th running around 3200 rpm.

My old Mille GT still loves to hum along at 5000 rpm / 80 mph.
    Keep her above 4500 & she will love you for a long time.