• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Downsizing to a Norge. Maybe

bb49

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just signed on here and if my wishes come true I'll have a Norge in my driveway this spring.
I currently have a 1800 Gold Wing but plan on downsizing to something smaller. The Wing has been a fantastic bike for me, 150,000 km on it and I smiled through everyone of them. Great protection, comfort, reliability, handling and fantastic power. But my wife won't be riding anymore and since I recently retired, I've lost some upper body strength. And bringing a 900 pound bike to a stop on questionable surface has it's challenges. Therefore it's time to downsize.

I've looked at a lot of bikes, the Honda CTX700 had the comfort but sadly lacking in power. The VFR1200 had oodles of power but not the comfort I've become used to. Your standard, everyday V-twin cruiser wasn't given a second thought, so that left the Moto Guzzi Norge.

Though I haven't ridden one yet, I'm pretty sure it has the comfort I'll want, and there's no issues with the power or handling.

It'll be a couple of months before I'm actually able to purchase a bike. There's still snow on the ground here, and I'll have to sell the Wing in order to have the money for another bike. But I have been looking and there are a number of used Norges on the market, private and at dealers. Though it's unlikely they'll be around in March, I'm hopeful there will be others to choose from.

So what should a guy be looking for in a used Norge? What years have the issues that have made them unpopular? If there are any. I understand there were upgrades around the 2011 model year. Does that mean the 2007 to 2010 are better, or are the 2011 and later better?

Thanks for any tips you can pass on. As for doing any work on a bike, it's pretty well left to oil changes and nothing more. I don't do wrenching, but there is a Moto Guzzi dealer not too far away.

The two valve head, the older ones, have bullet proof motors. If you come across the 4 valve head model, the early ones had flat lifters (tappets) which are problematic. These need to be converted to roller lifters to be reliable. I think 2014 and newer are delivered with the rollers as standard issue. I'm sure someone will post the exact model year.

I have a 2014 Norge that I bought brand new. 11,000 miles later, zero problems. This bike has everything you are looking for - light weight (566 lbs. dry), superb brakes, great wind protection, excellent luggage, and smooth as silk after break in. I am 5'8 and 170 lbs., and the bike fits me well. The seat is all day comfortable, and the adjustable windscreen works. The only thing missing from the factory is cruise control, and this was easily and quickly remedied with a Throttlemeister (super high quality - a great piece). ABS, shaft drive, power outlet, heated grips, lots of power, great seat.

It looks like Norges are coming to an end. Now might be the time to buy a brand new leftover 2015 or 2016 with the two year warranty? Good luck, and let us know what happens.

John,
Thanks for the explanation on the tappets/rollers. I've seen it mentioned about the rollers but didn't have a clue what it was about.

One other question I have, does the Norge have a wet clutch? Oil change on the Wing was pretty simple, just under 4 litres and the engine and tyranny were changed.

Dry clutches, every Guzzi since forever. The 1200-2V in '07 had a short run of problematic oil pumps, mainly all red colored ones as documented here. I also personally didn't like the transmission/gearbox ratios in '07-08. I think they resolved it in '09.
As John says above, the 1200 8V (overhead cams w/4-valve heads) had some issues early on, so if you can land a 2013-2016, you should be all set. If you want this style of bike, you won't be disappointed in how it works & goes... they are quite magical (especially those tweaked by my products here). However, Guzzis tend to be a lot more hands on over a Honda, so be sure you have a good dealer, as you may have to lean on them for help on occasion.

I can only add my impressions of 9 months with a "new" 2015 8V. I came from Ducatis, so I went up in size, vs your downsize. It was an adjustment, mainly feeling more top heavy, but more upright (and comfortable). But, the Norge is a great bike, with a great personality. Good comfort and wind protection. Minimal shaft/torque steer. The only issues I have are losing the neutral indicator (necessitating pulling in the clutch to start, even though it's in neutral - seems to happen after several hours of riding on hot days), ...and a preference for different tires (I tend to ride pretty aggressively). But, it's a very comfortable bike, with decent power at 105hp. I did add an Agostini slip on that saved weight and let it breath better. Coming from the Wing, you'll love it. Probably not as cushy, but you will still be smiling when you twist the throttle. :) The Norge actually can work as a sport touring bike. From what I've read, the newer versions have addressed short comings/complaints over the earlier model years. But, as noted the Norge is going away. That's too bad, but might get you a good price! Good luck!

When you test ride the Norge you may feel a fair amount of vibration that you will wonder why. Once they get some mileage on them it goes away. I had the 2007 2V and now the 2012 8V and both vibrated new but were way smoother by 5,000 miles. At 10,000 miles it is even better and while I only have 12,000+ on the 2012 the 2007 had 26,000 when I sold it and it was as smooth or smoother than my 1998 Honda PC800 which is very smooth.

Yep. They smooth out a lot at 5K.
Also, keep the revs at 4K and up. Or, at least for my bike, it loves it there. The motor has so much character and it'll tell you where it's happy if you let it.
I bought my 14 having never even ridden a Guzzi. My dealer friend who knows me well insured me I'd love the bike. He was 100% correct.

It's a great ride and in the hands of a capable pilot can hang with the best of them unless it's a 5 mile drag-and who cares about that?!

There currently are two Norges for sale about four hours from me. When the weather moderates (effing winter!) and I can get down to see them, if a deal can be made on one of them, I'll do it.

These are the two Norges available that meet my conditions:
2007, silver, 19,000 kms., 11800 miles. Asking $7,000 Cdn
2012, white, 29,400 kms., 18300 miles. Asking $8,000 Cdn.
This one has new tires and just had the valves adjusted. GPR exhaust.

Both bikes have a rear trunk. Both are being sold by dealers.

Bearing in mind these are Canadian prices, what are your thoughts on which is the better bike?

The 2012 should e a four valve head. If it hasn't had the roller conversion I would stay away from it, or check relative pricing for Canada (is their a NADA for Canada?). The low price for the 2012 compared to teh 2007 makes me think the roller conversion hasn't been done. The 2007 is the 2 valve head and should be good to go. That year bike did have an oil pump issue, but it should have been resolved by now. The dealer should be able to check Piaggio records to see if the oil pump on the 2007 was updated.

My 2007 was a nice bike with several niggling problems that kept reappearing. My 2012 is a better bike in a lot of ways (why they still make it hard to add oil infuriates me) but gets lousy mileage compared to the 2007. Some people get better. A lot of details on the 12 makes me lean towards the 12 IF it has the roller lifters. If not figure $1000+ if you do it and close to $2,000 if the dealer does it.
Plus, it is the white one. I like that a lot better than the black. I own the black.

bb - I have no reference point for personal experience with the '07 model. But, when I was considering buying a Norge last year, my dilemmas were probably what you are facing now. I ended up with a newer model. There were a lot of changes in the '12 refresh. Here's an old review from when it came out that lists some. If it were me (and there are no obvious issues with either bike), I'd talk to the dealer with the '12 and ask if that rollerization has been done (the biggest down IMO), and point out that the Norge is being discontinued... and think up a nice way of offering less if it hasn't (so you can afford getting it done), or ~asking price if they will do it. Fair question. Good luck!

Here's the article on the '12:

motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/2012-moto-guzzi-norge-gt8v-first-ride

Here's a couple of questions that you guys should find easy to answer.

What weight oil does the Norge take?
Are oil changes relatively easy?
Do the '07s have electric windshields or manual?
Be careful with this one: what brand tire is the most common and how many miles do most of you get on them?
*I know what oil and tire questions can start on a forum, so I mean for the answers to me civil :)

I'm hoping to have a closer look at an '07 in a couple of weeks and possible pull the trigger on it. I've got my Wing up for sale even though we still have snow on the ground. If the Norge sale goes through, it could be a long month before I can get the bike home, but c'est la vie!

What weight oil does the Norge take?
Are oil changes relatively easy?
Do the '07s have electric windshields or manual?
Be careful with this one: what brand tire is the most common and how many miles do most of you get on them?
Yep, probably lots of different preferences (different riding styles and requirements:)) My $.02...

Oil - Manual says 10-60. I use Motorex, but have only done one change so far (at the dealer for warranty compliance). Oil fill access is kind of a pain.
Windshield - Electric
Tires - Personal opinion... I didn't care for the original Pirelli Angel STs. Had a flat on the rear, so changed them to my favs - Michelin Pilot Road 4s. Turn in is far better, and a good smooth predictable ride (I like the twisties). Have 1k miles, and they are like new still:

IMG 6416
Ciao...

Yep, probably lots of different preferences (different riding styles and requirements:)) My $.02...

Oil - Manual says 10-60. I use Motorex, but have only done one change so far (at the dealer for warranty compliance). Oil fill access is kind of a pain.
Windshield - Electric
Tires - Personal opinion... I didn't care for the original Pirelli Angel STs. Had a flat on the rear, so changed them to my favs - Michelin Pilot Road 4s. Turn in is far better, and a good smooth predictable ride (I like the twisties). Have 1k miles, and they are like new still:

View attachment 11613
Ciao...

IMO -- that civility thing ;) -- bds has it (mostly) right. :rofl:

Oil. I use AGIP/ENI 10W60 exclusively. OK. Except for one lapse. Last summer. Hot day. Had tried LiquiMoly for a change (NPI). Brevard, N.C. Lots of traffic downtown. RED LIGHT. Overheated. Hmmmmm. Ever since, back to ENI. Shipped to door by Mr. Brown.

Tires. What bds said. I am always ready to change (again, NPI) brands when I change tires. But, that said, it will take some very compelling objective test reports to get me off of MPR4's. And, in my case, MPR4-GT's with their heavier sidewalls. I use the Norge mostly for two-up work. Kathi is a slip of a thing :makeup:; I am ... erm ... not. :wasntme: She also brings along enough gear to sustain a six-week-long safari. :makeup: Bottom line is that GT's help lots with that. In virtually all prior tires, I would routinely cord the rear at 4.2K miles. No, really. I am near 7K with present rear and it has a very slight flat spot. We rarely ride the slab. Impressive performance in the areas that really matter, i.e., safety. We, too, enjoy spirited riding -- OK, for my age demographic :giggle: -- in rocking & rolling terrain, and the turn-in and other handling traits of the MPR4's are reassuring.

Best from the top of Virginia,

Bill

P.S. Hoping to take that sweet beast (and Kathi :inlove:) out for the first ride of the season tomorrow.

My '15 Norge has been great . Loose ground cable from the factory was only issue. motul 10w-60 oil. Changes are easy. No bodywork to remove. Filling is easier when you unscrew the dipstick holder.
Just ordered a heated Corbin seat to hopefully keep Rita happy on the back, and me on the front.
I went from a GL1500, to a St1300 to the Norge. Waay more fun on the Norge. Will replace the Pirellis with MPS4's.

Just found this thread, so although a little older, here's a clarification on the Norge 8V heads should anyone else reading this thread, thinking of buying an "old Norge...".

I bought a 2012 last September, but did not know of the "tappet fiasco". Luckily my engine's stamp put it in the clear. Only 2900 kms before winter stored, but I love this beast! Yes, a few things to do as it has 74,000kms on it. Excuse that its not the actual link. Cheers
Moto Guzzi 4 Valve Engine Flat Tappet Fiasco

You will find out in your things to do if it has rollers, those motor #'s are not exact. It is somewhere around that time. I swapped out flatties that were on motors mfg after that motor #.

Just found this thread, so although a little older, here's a clarification on the Norge 8V heads should anyone else reading this thread, thinking of buying an "old Norge...".

I bought a 2012 last September, but did not know of the "tappet fiasco". Luckily my engine's stamp put it in the clear. Only 2900 kms before winter stored, but I love this beast! Yes, a few things to do as it has 74,000kms on it. Excuse that its not the actual link. Cheers
View attachment 28935

SEARCH is your friend here...

SEARCH is your friend here...

? I wasn't looking for info here.
I was providing information to anyone else finding this thread and wondering about the Norge as an option. I remembered this info explaining the engine stamp, useful help if considering a 2012.

Last edited:
Back